Tracking the progress of our new look defensive line

haveyoumetdustin

Much of the offseason was focused on improving our defensive line on all fronts.. we brought in new starters at 3 of the 4 positions, we signed vets to improve depth, we invested our first pick in Vea, and we hired one of the most respected defensive line coaches in the league.

All for good reason too.

Last year, our defense was torched and one of the main reasons was we couldn't generate pressure. We ranked 29th with only 74 QB hits all year (Eagles lead the league with 115 for comparison). We ranked dead last with only 22 sacks (Steelers lead the league with 56 for comparison). We ranked dead last with only 71 tackles for loss all year.

It's a bit early to make any conclusions so far, but after the first couple of games going up against two of the top offensive lines in football, I am encouraged.

Our 17 QB Hits is third in the league and would put us on pace to eclipse the Eagles total from last year.

To add to this to put in perspective the talent added around McCoy.. after the first two games this year, we've had 3 players (excluding Gerald) with multiple QB hits in a single game. It wasn't until Week 10 last year that we had 3 players not named McCoy with multiple QB hits in a game.

Our 4 sacks is not eye popping, but as mentioned earlier this was going up against two of the top offensive lines. It wouldn't surprise me if we nearly doubled last years total by the end of the year. In case you forgot how historically bad we were last year.. we only had ONE SACK going into week 5.

Kwon seems revitalized and is benefiting from the improved line too. He already has 4 TFL, compared to 7.5 TFL all of last year over 12 games. He's already eclipsed his sack and FF totals (0 sacks and 1 FF vs 1 sack and 2 FF). Look for this trend to continue - his fast and aggressive play style works so much better when the dline occupies blockers and gives him room to roam free.

All in all, it is early in the season and our defense has still given up plenty of yards/points.. but in my opinion we are trending in the right direction. Give this group some time to get key pieces healthy (Grimes, Beckwith, Vea, Unrein) and get some chemistry, and we could be looking at a completely different team.

Having a second guy to push the middle of the line with GMC is only going to make the pass rush better.  Vea is very important piece to stay healthy and build up his stamina.  I would rather see Curry move inside over JPP when they want to kick  a DE inside.  I believe JPP s length works against him inside, rather keep him outside exclusively.

I keep reading Vea is McCoy’s back up. I rather play the both at the same time ESPECIALLY on passing downs. Maybe that’s just how they are handling Vea. Working him into the line up slowly.

Pleased with JPP, Allen, and Curry these dudes make our unit above average. Hoping Vea can turn into a great/dominate one.

On 9/21/2018 at 1:34 PM, bucsfan333 said:

If Vea plays Monday, I imagine it'll only be about 10 snaps. But that'll hopefully be 10 more snaps McCoy gets a chance to catch his breath.

Hopefully we'll reach a point during this season where McCoy isn't playing 80-90% of the snaps.

He's been ruled out...

Archived