Addison Russell place on AD leave

Thelonebillsfan

https://www.mlb.com/news/addison-russell-placed-on-administrative-leave/c-295483998

His now ex-wife has finally come forward with her story, I figure this is big enough to not keep it confined to a team thread.

Good for her for being brave enough to do this. He should no longer be employed by the Cubs organization at this point.

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

He should no longer be employed by the Cubs organization at this point.

I say this every time, but baseball seriously need to address how they deal with cuts or trades from players who are suspended because of DV.

If the Cubs DFA him, they'll get trade offers; my early money is on the Padres because Preller is a scumbag. There are rebuilding teams who will be perfectly fine eating bad PR on the last homestand of the season (or maybe they don't even have to because there are no home games left by the time the trade goes through).

Also, let's be honest, the Cubs aren't cutting him.

11 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I say this every time, but baseball seriously need to address how they deal with cuts or trades from players who are suspended because of DV.

If the Cubs DFA him, they'll get trade offers; my early money is on the Padres because Preller is a scumbag. There are rebuilding teams who will be perfectly fine eating bad PR on the last homestand of the season (or maybe they don't even have to because there are no home games left by the time the trade goes through).

Also, let's be honest, the Cubs aren't cutting him.

Yeah, they will do just like the Blue Jays/Reds did and trade their abuser for pennies on the dollar in the offseason.  But I'd be shocked if he ever played for the Cubs again, and as I mentioned in the Cubs thread, I hope he doesn't.  

3 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Yeah, they will do just like the Blue Jays/Reds did and trade their abuser for pennies on the dollar in the offseason.  But I'd be shocked if he ever played for the Cubs again, and as I mentioned in the Cubs thread, I hope he doesn't.  

Yeah something like that. The Cubs have very little incentive to keep him, even with how good they are, when they are currently putting Bryant in the OF all the time because they have so many good infield bats. 

Someone is going to get a very good defensive SS who doesn't hit well, but hits enough to be a very good player for almost nothing because of this. 

so right now were at a big fat no. at least people have the decency to ignore me rather than asserting an accusation is the same as being guilty.

note im not asking for proof. just some kind if evidendce. people lie. about all kinds of things, both men and women do this. why anyone would believe purely off an accusation is beyond foolish.

22 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

why has it become that if youre accused youre automatically guilty. extremely dangerous precedent some want to set. is there actual evidence here that im missing?

I’m not seeing where it says he is guilty of anything.  

1 hour ago, DirtyDez said:

I’m not seeing where it says he is guilty of anything.  

not sure if youre agreeing with me or arguing here. but lets get real, you got a bunch of guys saying hes a pos, should be cut, etc and im just not seeing what its based on. there has to be more than simply an accusation, in this case or any other.

21 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

not sure if youre agreeing with me or arguing here. but lets get real, you got a bunch of guys saying hes a pos, should be cut, etc and im just not seeing what its based on. there has to be more than simply an accusation, in this case or any other.

First off, DV accusations have to be taken seriously.  They'd be doing a HUGE disservice to the game if they let him play and the accusations turn out to be true.  IF he's found innocent, then he gets his pay and the Cubs are the only ones who really take a hit.  But the fact that there are TWO separate accusations against Addison Russsell doesn't bode well.  IF this was a situation where they were going through a messy divorce, and it became a he said vs. she said, you might have an argument.  But this was substantiated several months back, and is now being confirmed directly.  It's not a good look for anybody to let him play.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

First off, DV accusations have to be taken seriously.  They'd be doing a HUGE disservice to the game if they let him play and the accusations turn out to be true.  IF he's found innocent, then he gets his pay and the Cubs are the only ones who really take a hit.  But the fact that there are TWO separate accusations against Addison Russsell doesn't bode well.  IF this was a situation where they were going through a messy divorce, and it became a he said vs. she said, you might have an argument.  But this was substantiated several months back, and is now being confirmed directly.  It's not a good look for anybody to let him play.

thats why i asked for evidence, i still havent found any but i also suck at googling. and my understanding is that his wifes friend asserted it last year and then his wife did just recently. thats not really two separate accusations. also, sorry to be a pain in the butt, however could you link me to the original statement by the friend being confirmed? 

dv should absolutley be taken seriously, and i get him being suspended. automatically calling for him to be cut and a pos without proof is foolish and scary imo. as ive said before, we need more than simply an accusation.

5 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

thats why i asked for evidence, i still havent found any but i also suck at googling. and my understanding is that his wifes friend asserted it last year and then his wife did just recently. thats not really two separate accusations. also, sorry to be a pain in the butt, however could you link me to the original statement by the friend being confirmed? 

dv should absolutley be taken seriously, and i get him being suspended. automatically calling for him to be cut and a pos without proof is foolish and scary imo. as ive said before, we need more than simply an accusation.

I mean, what kind of evidence do you need?  The fact that we had the wife's friend accuse him of DV in the Instragram post, and now we're hearing from the wife herself accusing him of DV generally indicates there's actually smoke to the fire.  There's enough to assume with a reasonable amount of confidence that it actually transpired.  It's two different accusations since it's coming from two different sources.  If it were just the wife versus Addison Russell, it'd be a bit more in the air but the fact that you've got two DIFFERENT people accusing Addison Russell of DV seems like it's a viable accusation.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/06/08/mlb-investigate-domestic-abuse-allegation-cubs-addison-russell/102624550/

That was from the original accusation from his wife's friend.  They didn't have enough to punish him there, but the fact that his wife came out and accused him of it is enough.  There's enough proof there.  Maybe not the black and white you might want, but MLB absolutely can't afford to take the PR hit by letting him play.

23 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, what kind of evidence do you need?  The fact that we had the wife's friend accuse him of DV in the Instragram post, and now we're hearing from the wife herself accusing him of DV generally indicates there's actually smoke to the fire.  There's enough to assume with a reasonable amount of confidence that it actually transpired.  It's two different accusations since it's coming from two different sources.  If it were just the wife versus Addison Russell, it'd be a bit more in the air but the fact that you've got two DIFFERENT people accusing Addison Russell of DV seems like it's a viable accusation.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/06/08/mlb-investigate-domestic-abuse-allegation-cubs-addison-russell/102624550/

That was from the original accusation from his wife's friend.  They didn't have enough to punish him there, but the fact that his wife came out and accused him of it is enough.  There's enough proof there.  Maybe not the black and white you might want, but MLB absolutely can't afford to take the PR hit by letting him play.

no, accusations are not evidence, especially when it really cames from the same tight circle. theres no evidence as far as I'llm aware, theres a accusation, they arent the same. 

7 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

no, accusations are not evidence, especially when it really cames from the same tight circle. theres no evidence as far as I'llm aware, theres a accusation, they arent the same. 

I mean, I'd expect there to be evidence we're not privy to.

Archived