How Important is AB?

One Punch Man

I originally posed a similar question in another thread. I got into an argument with a friend over AB’s importance to the Steelers, and now I want to gauge the opinion of the fan base that would know best.

What would the Steelers be without AB? Would the offense function fine without him? Next-man-up, sort of like the situation with Bell? JuJu seems to be a star-in-the-making, but a big part of his efficiency could be attributed to the fact that he’s not the primary threat, no?

I understand the question/scenario is vague and difficult to gauge considering it’s been a while since we’ve seen the Steelers without AB. But your history of success are the skill positions, plus Big Ben’s tenure, I’m left wondering. If anyone would like to break down and detail what they think would happen without AB, what he is to the offense, please do.

10 minutes ago, August4th said:

we lost him for most of the pats game last year and the playoff game against den. offense still moved the ball through the air, but you can feel his absence. so I don't think losing brown would cripple our passing game but it would drop a level or two.

What would be more of a hinderance, losing Brown or Bell? 

8 minutes ago, One Punch Man said:

What would be more of a hinderance, losing Brown or Bell? 

right now?Brown

but I think that might change depending on how the offense is built. Brown went ghost when we had Vick starting in 2015. that offense lived on the legs of bell during that period, so he was more valuable at that time than brown.

I think there’s always going to be a little “does Ben make Brown better or does Brown make Ben better”. However, I think Brown is a game changer.  There is a good reason Brown was in the running for MVP last year.

Im not sure what the issue with chemistry is so far this year.  Are Ben and Brown just off from not playing much in preseason or is it the new offense.

i think they come around and get on the same page.  I think our Offense is much better with Brown.  I don’t think JuJu is as good without him drawing coverage.  

I don’t think Bell is as good as people make him out to be. I think our Oline makes him better.

Brown is the best receiver in the game and the best player on the offense too.  Best player on the team.  He can do anything and everything (types of routes I mean), and draws a lot of attention, and that is why JuJu and the others can produce.  Ok, so just JuJu produces.  The rest need upgraded big time.  If Brown went down, the Steelers would be DOA against a good team, because they have average players everywhere else.  No go-to guys.  

4 hours ago, One Punch Man said:

How do you think that offense would handle his absence (knock on wood it doesn’t happen)?

with our past coaching it was a loss when AB is out vs a good team , but a good coach would make up for it in other ways. Not equal, but still effective in a different way.  We had AB in years past, still a moot point vs BB and the pats. I liked the Eagles winning SB vs Pats without HOF QB, Flex and WR1.  There are many ways to win, it comes down to adjusting to the personnel and good coaching.  

AB draws attention and changes the D schemes, so that can't be forgotten in answering this.  I still think a good - excellent OL is important and then once that is in place,  then everything else benefits. If the QB has good protection and can be more accurate, RB can run set up play action etc, all benefits from the OL. 

AB's work ethic and leadership is what this team needs, any team needs leaders by example. If he could end the diva force,  and just move on I would expect him to play at a high level into his late 30's if he wants .

3 hours ago, Blitzburgh said:

I think there’s always going to be a little “does Ben make Brown better or does Brown make Ben better”. However, I think Brown is a game changer.  There is a good reason Brown was in the running for MVP last year.

Im not sure what the issue with chemistry is so far this year.  Are Ben and Brown just off from not playing much in preseason or is it the new offense.

i think they come around and get on the same page.  I think our Offense is much better with Brown.  I don’t think JuJu is as good without him drawing coverage.  

I don’t think Bell is as good as people make him out to be. I think our Oline makes him better.

I am tired of hearing this nonsense that ben makes brown better. It is well known that AB runs good routes and works as intensely at his craft as anyone.  It's almost a way of dismissing his work ethic and that is never right and how it gets tolerated is something I won't understand. I can see if he had Peterman for a Qb or even Jones, but any competent QB would have many receptions and TD's throwing to  AB.   

Ben has been off on many throws preseason and regular season (pre elbow injury).  Agree about Bell comment when remembering last season. The year before though (bills game in the snow), he was the Best and was a special player that deserved the mega deal.  It's really too bad everything went sour on both sides and the CBA is so flawed, but thats' what makes the nfl what it is.

The guy that made the comments about bell should have been dismissed like trash, and ignored. Since the steelers are the drama team of the league, it has evolved into a web story and should be ended once and for all. 

1 hour ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

Brown is the best receiver in the game and the best player on the offense too.  Best player on the team.  He can do anything and everything (types of routes I mean), and draws a lot of attention, and that is why JuJu and the others can produce.  Ok, so just JuJu produces.  The rest need upgraded big time.  If Brown went down, the Steelers would be DOA against a good team, because they have average players everywhere else.  No go-to guys.  

He is a player opposing teams scheme for. DDC won the Matthews award at pff as top OL but when Finney stepped in last week he never allowed a pressure. Life can go on with some reserves, but AB changes everything .  If AB gets hurt (or traded) then the Offence has to change and they need to make sure the ground game gets going and the talent is there to do it.  For some reason Ben can throw accurate passes to AB but he seems to be off target when throwing to James. How does that happen I don't know, but credit AB somehow again.

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

I am tired of hearing this nonsense that ben makes brown better. It is well known that AB runs good routes and works as intensely at his craft as anyone.  It's almost a way of dismissing his work ethic and that is never right and how it gets tolerated is something I won't understand. I can see if he had Peterman for a Qb or even Jones, but any competent QB would have many receptions and TD's throwing to  AB.   

Ben has been off on many throws preseason and regular season (pre elbow injury).  Agree about Bell comment when remembering last season. The year before though (bills game in the snow), he was the Best and was a special player that deserved the mega deal.  It's really too bad everything went sour on both sides and the CBA is so flawed, but thats' what makes the nfl what it is.

The guy that made the comments about bell should have been dismissed like trash, and ignored. Since the steelers are the drama team of the league, it has evolved into a web story and should be ended once and for all. 

Tired of hearing the truth? It's not dismissing Brown's work ethic. Let's not over think this. Brown is better with Ben then he is with Dobbs and Ben is better with Brown then he is with whomever would backup Brown (Washington/Hunter...etc). It's not a slight towards either one. It is a symbiotic relationship. Yeah, Brown's numbers would go down if Peterman was throwing him the ball just like Ben's would go down if he was throwing to some scrub WR. Conversely, Brown's numbers would be similar if Aaron Rogers was throwing him the ball and Ben's would similar if he was throwing to Julio Jones.  The answer to the question of "Does Ben make Brown better or does Brown make Ben better" is "Yes".  

Ben doesnt make Brown HIMSELF better as a WR, but he ABSOLUTELY is a big reason why Brown has been able to become so CONSISTENTLY productive.

That being said, Brown also helps Ben alot too.   Ben has had plenty of success without Brown, but Brown is easily the best WR he has played with.    However, to be honest, sometimes I think an elite WR can HURT a QB...why?   Because a QB then wants to force the ball to that WR even when they shouldnt.   Ben does it with Brown....Ryan does it with Julio.....Dalton does it with Green....Stafford does it with Megatron, etc...

I definitely think Ben would be better off without Antonio than vice versa.....not to say Antonio wouldnt be successful, but I think his number would dip unless he went and played with another top 10-ish QB.

Bottom line though...both could and would be successful without the other, but together they are definitely better than they might otherwise be.  

3 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Tired of hearing the truth? It's not dismissing Brown's work ethic. Let's not over think this. Brown is better with Ben then he is with Dobbs and Ben is better with Brown then he is with whomever would backup Brown (Washington/Hunter...etc). It's not a slight towards either one. It is a symbiotic relationship. Yeah, Brown's numbers would go down if Peterman was throwing him the ball just like Ben's would go down if he was throwing to some scrub WR. Conversely, Brown's numbers would be similar if Aaron Rogers was throwing him the ball and Ben's would similar if he was throwing to Julio Jones.  The answer to the question of "Does Ben make Brown better or does Brown make Ben better" is "Yes".  

Ok, then maybe lets say "how much better"? That we might not find out unless Ben got injured, because vick and jones weren't comparable were they?  If Rodgers was AB's QB, his numbers might be a bit better, because really, how much better can they get anyways?  Yeah, ben throwing to a scrub, where is coates these days?  We have had good drafting for WR's mostly, really can't  fault the FO for their drafting there thats for sure. 

AB and Ben ned a good game  but a win will always help end the drama from the media that we are expecting. Like many, I am tired of the circus with this team and would prefer for that to go away for good. 

Archived