2018 CFB/2019 Draft Prospects

DreamKid

Center- This is clearly our biggest need. I’ve always said this but I believe an elite center is of similar importance as an elite LT. That said, there doesn’t seem to be any dominant options that I’ve scouted so far. There isn’t a Frank Ragnow to be found here.

Pass rushing DT/DE- This position is a definite strength in this draft. We don’t need any kind of scrub. We need an elite/great option here or we should skip it. 

OT/OG- Hurst should be the starting LG and fix that spot, but Stanley is too injury prone and our depth for LT leaves much to be desired. The strength of this draft seems to be in the trenches. I’d like to see someone drafted in the Yanda/KO mold where they’re a collegiate OT but due to a deficiency (length/speed) are believed to benefit from a move inside. But they play with a ferocity and attitude that makes them a strong force.

Stanley hasn’t proven to be a dominant option and thus if he goes down, having a third round OT/OG option in our background  would be smart planning. As a rookie they could be the 6th man along the OL.

RB- I think we really missed out by not targeting a back in the 2018 class. But we’ll see what the end result looks like with this class.

ILB- Peanut has actually developed nicely and I like what we’ve seen from Kenny Young. That tandem could get the job done, but it wouldn’t hurt to take someone if they’ve got great cover skills and are a strong tackler.

On 11/6/2018 at 12:42 AM, berlin calling said:

can't fix all holes through one draft, especially missing a 2nd round pick. slightly offtopic bit Matt Paradis will be FA after this season, IF Denver lets him test the market the Ravens better offer him a chunk.

Meh. Depends on execution. It could be a difference of opinion in terms of the extent of what this team needs, but from how I see it the needs this team have, we’ve generally done a quality job of drafting those positions later in the draft when we put our resources towards those avenues. ILB, IOL, and RB. Traditionally quality centers can also be found later in the draft. A pass rushing DE/DT is probably the only position that we might not have as extensive of a track record of finding late (generally just dominant run defensers). But to fix our needs I could see something like:

Rd1: Pass rushing DT (or dominant OL)

Rd3: Dominant OL (or pass rushing DT)

Rd4: Niche RB with pass game potential

Rd5: Another OL

Rd6: Developmental LB with plus athleticism.

yep, more role players or good-average guys drafted in middle/later rounds to fit certain roster spots certainly will do for this team as proven by the track record since 2012. that exactly is the mind set that brought the Ravens to where they are. average.

need some top talents on the roster thus now that they will have some cap to spend they'll better do.

On 11/8/2018 at 12:23 AM, berlin calling said:

yep, more role players or good-average guys drafted in middle/later rounds to fit certain roster spots certainly will do for this team as proven by the track record since 2012. that exactly is the mind set that brought the Ravens to where they are. average.

need some top talents on the roster thus now that they will have some cap to spend they'll better do.

It’s also the same strategy that has kept us in playoff contention almost every season under Harbaughs tenure as well as provided the Ravens with 2 Super Bowls In 22 years. The only difference is that as opposed to years prior we were churning more of our 1st round picks into great to elite caliber talent such as: Johnathan Ogden, Ray Lewis, Peter Boulware, Jamal Lewis, Ed Reed, Todd Heap, Terrell Suggs, Haloti Ngata. And more recently those first round options now look more like good to great talent (if not worse) such as Jimmy Smith, CJ Mosley, and Ronnie Stanley.

The jury is still out on what will become of Marlon Humphrey, Hayden Hurst, and Lamar Jackson. But for this squad to get back to prominence it’ll have to really do a better job with hitting on elite talent early on in the draft.

8 hours ago, DreamKid said:

A backfield of Lamar Jackson and David Montgomery would have defenses puking by Quarter 2.

Who would you give as a pro comparison for Montgomery? I’ve watched him and haven’t been able to get excited about him to this point. That said, a lot of people love Montgomery so perhaps I just need a different lens to look at him through.

12 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Who would you give as a pro comparison for Montgomery? I’ve watched him and haven’t been able to get excited about him to this point. That said, a lot of people love Montgomery so perhaps I just need a different lens to look at him through.

Honestly the first time I watched him he reminded me a bit of Lamar Jackson. I first heard of him when I was looking at PFF's All Time FMT( Forced Missed Tackle) Single Season Records and was shocked at his totals. 

This is from a post a did in the Lamar Jackson thread a while back-

/Take a look at this, some recent and future young NFL stars and their best running figures from college-

Leonard Fournette (2015):  Attempts- 300,  Yards- 1,953,  Avg-6.51,  TDs-22,  Forced Missed Tackles: 88 on Total Touches: 319

Dalvin Cook (2016):  Attempts- 288,  Yards- 1,765,  Avg- 6.13, TDs-19,  Forced Missed Tackles: 89 on Total Touches: 321

Kareem Hunt (2016): Attempts- 262,  Yards- 1,475,  Avg- 5.63, TDs-10,  Forced Missed Tackles: 88 on Total Touches: 303

Alvin Kamara* (15&16): Attempts- 210,  Yards- 1,294,  Avg- 6.16, TDs-16,  Forced Missed Tackles: 90 on Total Touches: 284

Derrius Guice (2016): Attempts- 183,  Yards- 1,387,  Avg- 7.58, TDs-15,  Forced Missed Tackles: 52 on Total Touches: 192

Saquon Barkley (2016): Attempts- 272,  Yards- 1,496 , Avg- 5.5, TDs-18,  Forced Missed Tackles: 80 on total touches: 300     

*I included Kamara because he's a fun reference and just combined his two years for context because he didn't have as many carry opportunities as the rest.

^^^Those top 3 are the highest forced missed tackle season stats of all time, only surpassed by Iowa State's David Montgomery's insane 101 on 264 touches last year. The stat only became tracked officially since 2014 but is obviously one that reflects favorably. /

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

That last bit in that is obviously what peaked my interest in Montgomery. He's got a freakish ability to make people miss and amazing contact balance, similar to Lamar. His line at Iowa State does him no favors either. I really can't nail down a Pro Comp for him, and I know other people are having problems doing so too.