2018 CFB/2019 Draft Prospects

DreamKid

16 hours ago, DreamKid said:

There are things about his game that I absolutely love. He has a great release off the LOS. Nice speed and burst. Athletic and quick. Quality size. Gets nice separation... generally.

That said, I don’t love his lack of attacking the football in the air. I don’t love his lack of physicality in 50/50 situations (granted I’ve only watched 1.5 games).

I see a guy who is going to be kind of like a poor man’s Mike Wallace; less speed, less quickness, and less explosiveness.

27 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

There are things about his game that I absolutely love. He has a great release off the LOS. Nice speed and burst. Athletic and quick. Quality size. Gets nice separation... generally.

That said, I don’t love his lack of attacking the football in the air. I don’t love his lack of physicality in 50/50 situations (granted I’ve only watched 1.5 games).

I see a guy who is going to be kind of like a poor man’s Mike Wallace; less speed, less quickness, and less explosiveness.

With guys who get a lot of separation you generally see less of an attacking mentality. Calvin Ridley last year also didn't have many 50/50 victories put down. And it's usually because they're rarely in 50/50 situations, as they create so much separation.

Wallace and Torrey are frequent comps for him, but I haven't seen the "poor man's" distinction given. I certainly don't value his athleticism any less. He led the SEC in YPR 2 years in a row(24.8,22.8) and dropped some historic numbers at the combine all while nursing an injury. I think his ceiling could be higher than those two given his technical proficiency at a younger age too.

My biggest concerns with him are Durability and I'd like to see him catch outside his frame more often(Which falls in line with your catch point assessment). Other than that though I think he has a strong shot at being a great WR. Easy speed and separation, YAC ability, great downfield hand fighting and stacking, fluid route breaks. There's a lot to love. I'd watch some more games on him. I think you'll like what you see. 

Lasley has already given us so much. Making fun of Judon's speech impediment, saying he'll dominate any defender across from him- even if it's a "crippled baby", F'in with Marcus Peters so much Peters threw a football at his head. And I think we'll be treated to even more. The kid can ball. 

Just from watching 1 cut up you know exactly who Lasley is. You get the talent, the theatrics, the confidence, the huge plays, and a whole lot of the WTF.

I applaud the FO for searching out impact at the position, and accepting somewhat non ideal packaging of that impact. It's also a reminder not to sleep on any player in this draft. We all barely talked about Lasley last year because we figured he was off the table, and it turns out he wasn't. Which makes me excited for this class of prospects too. You never know who's going to end up a Raven.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Holy F!!! @diamondbull424 Jeffrey Simmons' uncle is Jason Hatcher!   He has an NFL bloodline, and that relative was a top DI pass rusher!!

I'm done...

Don't let me down DeCosta. 

tumblr_op4yvjxQbg1t2mdaeo1_500.gif

Absolutely. All I know is that there isn’t an elite level impact player like Lamar Jackson to fall back on that would make me feel a little better about having passed up on an All Pro talent like we had after we passed up on Derwin James. If we pass up on Jeffery Simmons for an extra 3rd or 4th round pick or some “solid Boy Scout” I’ll be pissed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Lasley has already given us so much. Making fun of Judon's speech impediment, saying he'll dominate any defender across from him- even if it's a "crippled baby", F'in with Marcus Peters so much Peters threw a football at his head. And I think we'll be treated to even more. The kid can ball. 

Just from watching 1 cut up you know exactly who Lasley is. You get the talent, the theatrics, the confidence, the huge plays, and a whole lot of the WTF.

I applaud the FO for searching out impact at the position, and accepting somewhat non ideal packaging of that impact. It's also a reminder not to sleep on any player in this draft. We all barely talked about Lasley last year because we figured he was off the table, and it turns out he wasn't. Which makes me excited for this class of prospects too. You never know who's going to end up a Raven.

Forgot how explosive this dude is. Wouldn’t shock me if the team only drafts 1 WR, given the young talent we already have. I mean we probably only play three WR sets anyway. So why have 6 WRs in the roster. Probably just roll with:

Willie Snead, Chris Moore, *JJ AW*, Lasley, and Scott. Then hold a talented developing receiver on the practice squad. We have three “starting” caliber TEs, I can’t envision us not rolling with 4 TEs on the roster and with Harbaugh’s penchant for not generally playing rookies, we’d just be drafting a rookie receiver so that they can redshirt the season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I can’t envision us not rolling with 4 TEs on the roster and with Harbaugh’s penchant for not generally playing rookies, we’d just be drafting a rookie receiver so that they can redshirt the season.

Exactly.

It's a deep roster with few holes. No one we pick will be guaranteed significant playing time. Harbaugh literally moved Hurst back to Right Tackle to prevent Orlando from starting lol. It isn't going to happen.

That's why the "We shouldn't pick Simmons because of his injury" arguments are so easy to dismiss. No one is going to come in and heavily contribute right away anyway. 

27 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Exactly.

It's a deep roster with few holes. No one we pick will be guaranteed significant playing time. Harbaugh literally moved Hurst back to Right Tackle to prevent Orlando from starting lol. It isn't going to happen.

That's why the "We shouldn't pick Simmons because of his injury" arguments are so easy to dismiss. No one is going to come in and heavily contribute right away anyway. 

Absolutely. I kind of think if they took Simmons they would use him similar to how we used Suggs as a rookie where he only got action on obvious pass rushing downs. Simmons, as a 1st round pick, would see time, but especially after an ACL tear return, plus Harbaugh’s rookie rule, plus the depth already at the position... no way would his snap count be absurd.

Even still, I could imagine Simmons hitting 6 sacks just based off of teams not game planning to stop him because he’s a rookie and not one of the entrenched at his position.

15 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Even still, I could imagine Simmons hitting 6 sacks just based off of teams not game planning to stop him because he’s a rookie and not one of the entrenched at his position.

I could see that. Hidden beneath the Sack total will be the even more important pressures total too. A guy like Simmons racks up QB Hits and Hurries.

• Like 1

It wouldn't surprise me, if we bring in another defensive rotational player to create some pass rush so that we are set coming into the draft, so we can focus on offense. I think I made a post earlier this year, that it would be typical of the Ravens to use a defensively scewed draft to pick up offensive talents that fall.