2018 CFB/2019 Draft Prospects

DreamKid

12 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Not the mold of what I would be hoping for as the successor/replacement for Weddle.

That’s only because neither Jefferson has no cover ability and Weddle struggles as a tackler. I see Redwine upgrading Jefferson as a box safety with his superb tackling. He also have nice athleticism and range. I see him displaying legit 4.5 speed on tape, probably low 4.5 speed. He’s not a 1st round talent as he still needs to develop his play recognition, but I’m also in the group that thinks Weddle should stick around for another year.

After Weddle retires a combo of Deshon Elliot, his high 4.5 speed, and his play recognition combined with Sheldrick Redwine, his low 4.5 speed, and his tackling ability would give us a safety core more in the do it all mode vs a specialized core.

Now would I like an elite safety, absolutely, but those don’t generally grow on trees. And sometimes guys like Redwine and Elliot develop into a class that’s close enough to elite anyway.

19 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

For the life of me, I still don’t get why people were impressed with that guy. When I looked at him, I saw a guy that couldn’t cover ground to be cover 1 and couldn’t tackle. He tried to body tackle, only he doesn’t even have the size to be a somewhat intimidating body tackler for a safety (like a.. Tony Jefferson). Even with another year I don’t see how he’s naturally going to develop either. He could play in the league, but I can’t see him lasting as anything more than a JAG starter or roster fodder. Infinitely better of an athlete than me, but can’t say I’m a fan of his prospects.

While I think you are a little hard on him, there is some things I don't like about his game, but much of it comes from bad tackling and he is rarely the one who tries to make the tackle first. He might be better as a pure centerfielder, but compared to some of the other safeties in this, I think we can get better value than Thompson.

40 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

That’s only because neither Jefferson has no cover ability and Weddle struggles as a tackler. I see Redwine upgrading Jefferson as a box safety with his superb tackling. He also have nice athleticism and range. I see him displaying legit 4.5 speed on tape, probably low 4.5 speed. He’s not a 1st round talent as he still needs to develop his play recognition, but I’m also in the group that thinks Weddle should stick around for another year.

After Weddle retires a combo of Deshon Elliot, his high 4.5 speed, and his play recognition combined with Sheldrick Redwine, his low 4.5 speed, and his tackling ability would give us a safety core more in the do it all mode vs a specialized core.

Now would I like an elite safety, absolutely, but those don’t generally grow on trees. And sometimes guys like Redwine and Elliot develop into a class that’s close enough to elite anyway.

I don't want Elliot at FS or moonlighting as one in a combo either. It's not just about speed.

2 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

I don't want Elliot at FS or moonlighting as one in a combo either. It's not just about speed.

Putting Elliot at FS, wouldn't that be using him wrong? I think he can play the position, but I would rather want him as a rover/troy polamalu role where he can work the middle of the field

4 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

i'd still spend a 4th on him. an ACL is nothing to worry about with todays state of medicine.

bad for the guy since it'll cost him money but he'll be back to 100% by camp

Maybe. There's still an individual component to this. Not everybody heals at the same rate or effectiveness. I think Love still goes in at least the 3rd round since teams seem to be okay with gambling on injured prospects now, but there it isn't at the "nothing to worry about" level. 

I like what I've seen from Jerry Tillery so far. One of the first IPR prospects(we'd have a legitimate shot at) that interests me.

PFF- Tillery utilized his hand speed and brute power to disrupt the passing attack of opponents like no other in 2018, leading the nation’s interior defensive linemen with his 92.5 pass-rush grade. He brought down 47 QB pressures on his 413 pass-rushes, winning 19.1% of his pass-rush snaps in a figure that is second only to Quinnen Williams. 

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Look at Cody Ford #74 on this play. 337 Pounds. Stanley-Ford- ? -Yanda-Brown Jr. 

😆 I didn’t even notice him until like my 3rd/4th viewing, I was entranced by their center completely demolishing that defensive back and then flexing on him, only to get back into the play and get in the way of another defender.

But yeah that was definitely one helluva effort by Cody Ford there. He would definitely be a beast as a guard in any scheme.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 8:30 PM, DreamKid said:

I like what I've seen from Jerry Tillery so far. One of the first IPR prospects(we'd have a legitimate shot at) that interests me.

PFF- Tillery utilized his hand speed and brute power to disrupt the passing attack of opponents like no other in 2018, leading the nation’s interior defensive linemen with his 92.5 pass-rush grade. He brought down 47 QB pressures on his 413 pass-rushes, winning 19.1% of his pass-rush snaps in a figure that is second only to Quinnen Williams. 

I’m surprised Tillery is the only one that interest you. I definitely like Tillery, but there seems to be a lot of talent on the interior this season. Jeffrey Simmons probably impressed me the most as he reminds me of Fletcher Cox, but Jerry Tillery also impressed me. IIRC he reminded me of former Raven Trevor Pryce.

The only problem with both players is that with Simmons he has that assault video incident from before college that was pathetic (though by all accounts outside of that he’s a good guy) and Jerry Tillery seems like a grade A toolbag with the dirty plays I saw from him on the field.

If the Ravens take either player, it means they likely passed their background check on them so I’d be good with them.

But beyond that I’m surprised guys like Zach Allen and Rashaan Gary didn’t hold any appeal. But it’s been a while since I’ve scouted the interior rushers, so maybe I was giving those guys more credit than I should have.

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m surprised Tillery is the only one that interest you. I definitely like Tillery, but there seems to be a lot of talent on the interior this season. Jeffrey Simmons probably impressed me the most as he reminds me of Fletcher Cox, but Jerry Tillery also impressed me. IIRC he reminded me of former Raven Trevor Pryce.

I've only watched a couple guys. Definitely just getting started. With Simmons, I just know we aren't going to pick him so it's hard to get excited. I have no issue with the video of him, but I think the FO will. Also the first cut up I put on of him wasn't great. He was on the ground and getting pushed around. You know how that goes. Sometimes you get put off and then revisit the prospect later. DJ Moore & Derwin James were both 2nd go around guys for me. You want these players to really pop within the first 4 minutes or so, and if they don't you can move on for a while- only to return in a big way later. 

8 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

But beyond that I’m surprised guys like Zach Allen and Rashaan Gary didn’t hold any appeal. But it’s been a while since I’ve scouted the interior rushers, so maybe I was giving those guys more credit than I should have.

I like Zach Allen. He popped last year when I watched Harold Landry. I'm waiting to see how he performs at the Senior Bowl when pushed inside though. The cuts ups I watched had him mostly outside and TDN's evaluation included some so so commentary on the reps he has taken inside. I haven't hit Gary's 2018 tape yet. 

I'm not really at the ranking stage yet. More so just the pop & post stage. When a player jumps out at me I like to bring him to the forum. Then if I really like them and they fit a need for the team I start the deep dive. Production Analytics, Athletic Profile, Age Score etc etc. Cody and Nasir are out in front for me at this point. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Also the first cut up I put on of him wasn't great. He was on the ground and getting pushed around. You know how that goes. Sometimes you get put off and then revisit the prospect later.

It was the Bama game. Just went back and finished it, along with a few other cut ups of his. He didn't start off great but got better as that Bama game went on. He's 100% an early round player. Even with that video of him floating around. He's great with his hands, strong motor and excellent explosion, plus tackler. Kid sees a lot of double and sometimes even triple team looks. He's got it all. 

@diamondbull424 He reminded me a bit of Malik McDowell. Very similar college utilization. Simmons trumps Malik in pure penetration and disruption against the pass though.

Pairing him with Zach Sieler would be something. We'll see if Eric surprises us, but I'm guessing Mr. Simmons is off our board.

51 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

It was the Bama game. Just went back and finished it, along with a few other cut ups of his. He didn't start off great but got better as that Bama game went on. He's 100% an early round player. Even with that video of him floating around. He's great with his hands, strong motor and excellent explosion, plus tackler. Kid sees a lot of double and sometimes even triple team looks. He's got it all. 

@diamondbull424 He reminded me a bit of Malik McDowell. Very similar college utilization. Simmons trumps Malik in pure penetration and disruption against the pass though.

Pairing him with Zach Sieler would be something. We'll see if Eric surprises us, but I'm guessing Mr. Simmons is off our board.

Yeah I could definitely see that as a possibility and I definitely think it’ll cause him to fall down draft boards, but with the success we’ve seen from Peanut and his development as a person... I’m thinking we’ll investigate Simmons background and interview him extensively, if the research is fruitful I like him from a talent standpoint. Like you said, I think I saw more double and triple teams, with production, than I’ve seen on anyone’s tape other than perhaps Ed Oliver.