2018 CFB/2019 Draft Prospects

DreamKid

It seems like mostly everyone is in 1 of 2 camps regarding the weapons to surround Jackson with.

1. We should add giant catch radius targets to compensate for his lack of accuracy. 

or

2. We should add explosive playmakers and YAC machines, that will maximize the theoretically limited opportunities they will get.

IMO We should just get the best options available for him. Regardless of skill set. We have the playmaker types on the roster in Jordan Lasley and Chris Moore. We have the giant targets in Mark Andrews and Hayden Hurst. Jaleel Scott is lurking, hopefully he can put it together. Snead can work out of the slot.

This call for specificity doesn't interest me. We already have a strong variety of options, we need impact regardless of how the target goes about creating it. 

Anyway, here's DJ's take:

-Daniel Jeremiah: Ravens Should Build a ‘Track Team’ Around Jackson

One of the takeaways from Roman’s press conference yesterday is that there is still work to be done in terms of adding offensive personnel, and that will shape the direction of the offensive scheme.

Former Ravens scout turned NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah joined "Glenn Clark Radio" yesterday to talk about how he would build around Jackson, and he had some interesting points.

While Jeremiah likes the Ravens’ physicality in the running game, he says this offseason is all about adding more speed.

“You’ve got to pay that [physicality] off with some home runs,” Jeremiah said.

“I would build a track team of receivers around him. So, if [defenses] want to dedicate resources to try to stop that run game, you’re going to pay for it and you’re going to pay for it in one big play.”

Jeremiah said Jackson will continue to develop as a passer but doesn’t think he’ll ever be a 70-percent accuracy kind of quarterback. Thus, Jeremiah thinks the Ravens should maximize his throws with players that can turn it into big gains.

“Having to have four third-down conversion throws on a scoring drive is not going to be a recipe for success,” Jeremiah said. “You’re much better off when you can get some chunk plays, some explosive plays in the passing game. That’s why I’d be out with my stopwatch trying to build a track team.”

Some candidates in the draft are Oklahoma’s Marquise Brown (though he’ll miss the Combine after having foot surgery), Ole Miss’ D.K. Metcalf (Jeremiah expects him to run in the 4.3s) and Ohio State’s Parris Campbell.

But Jeremiah really likes one prospect for Baltimore, and that’s Georgia’s Mecole Hardman.

“There’s a kid from Georgia that is one of my favorite players to study at the position – Mecole Hardman,” Jeremiah said. “He is the perfect Raven for what they’re trying to do.”

In a recent article, Jeremiah listed Hardman as the one player the Ravens should keep an eye on a the combine. “The Ravens need to give Lamar Jackson some weapons, and Hardman can fly. The buzz is starting to build in personnel circles,” Jeremiah wrote.

Here are some highlights from Mecole’s junior year, in which he caught 35 passes for 543 yards and seven touchdowns.

I wrote something similar yesterday on twitter. The “lamar need a wide receiver with a large catch radius” is completely flawed to me. I think speed and underneath slot guys are what we should be looking for - Brown, Diontae Johnson, Isabella, Hardman and then Hart, Renfrow as clutch underneath guys.

The first bunch however all have 2. Round written all over them and only Johnson will likely fall to the 3. Round. I really doubt Brown, Isabella and Hardman will be there when we pick in the 3 round.

39 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Their 40 times will tell us a lot about where they'll be picked. 

I havent seen metcalf block, but if we put any value into that when drafting wide receivers, Isabella and Brown could behind Metcalf and Hardman, although Hardman primarily just walls off his opposing defender

On 2/21/2019 at 3:32 AM, Danand said:

I wrote something similar yesterday on twitter. The “lamar need a wide receiver with a large catch radius” is completely flawed to me. I think speed and underneath slot guys are what we should be looking for - Brown, Diontae Johnson, Isabella, Hardman and then Hart, Renfrow as clutch underneath guys.

The first bunch however all have 2. Round written all over them and only Johnson will likely fall to the 3. Round. I really doubt Brown, Isabella and Hardman will be there when we pick in the 3 round.

I don’t fully disagree, but I definitely disagree. While I do believe we need to look at players that can have success in the vertical passing attack to stretch the field and while I do think “quickness” (which is related to speed) is an important trait, beyond that I think players with nice hands and an aggressive catch radius are what we need. I don’t think burners are the ideal WR for Lamar, I just haven’t seen his history prove that theory to be wise.  

We need guys that can use their frame and catch radius, along with plus quickness (like MAndrews) to generate short area separation with Lamar in the pocket, yet have strong frames to win 50/50 balls in the event that Lamar’s accuracy is less than stellar. Guys who can win in the scramble drill but also win balls with less than stellar accuracy.

As it stands JJ Arcega-Whiteside and DK Metcalf seem to be possessed of the skill set that best fits an ideal Ravens receiver. I like N’Keal Harry, but don’t believe he has the quickness necessary to best fit with Lamar.

That said, I’m not against a deep threat as well. But I’d be willing to wait until the mid rounds to pounce on that need, if necessary.

I just think we somewhat misunderstand eachother when talking about what Lamar needs. I guess some refers to "large catch radius" to "big-bodied wide receiver" which I think is false.

If a DK Metcalf and Arcega-Whiteside can get separation I think they would fit what Lamar can do. The guys in the Boldin move however is not a fit to me. Andrews is a big bodied wide receiver who get great separation, while Snead is a smaller wide receiver who get separation very quick. Both fit well with what Lamar needed, so it is not a size thing, but rather what they do to get separation.

One of the reasons I want some of the smaller wide receivers with some speed are in line with Daniel Jeremiahs take, that we need the chunk plays when Lamar will miss the occasional throw destroying the rythm. Also, if we could get a receiver who could work the screen game for "4-6" easy yards it would help setup those 3 and short where Lamar is a thread to convert with his legs.

I have a possible sleeper 1st Round pick for us that could send some fans into a frenzy. .....TJ Hockenson

If you think this team is above drafting another Tight End in the 1st, I have some magic beans to sell you. Especially if TJ is that tight end in question.

TJ is an elite tight end prospect with no holes in his game. It's unlikely he even makes it to pick 22, but should he? Anticipate us picking him. 

Mark Andrews is a stud, a stud who ran 56.2% of his routes from the slot. That isn't going to change. Andrews isn't going to step into Nick Boyle's role, it doesn't gel with his skill set. He's essentially just a giant receiver, and Hayden Hurst isn't too far from that designation either. Hurst offers more flexibility as a blocker and will take on a large inline role for us this season, but his calling card again is that of a big receiver with elite hands.

Hockenson is a true do it all Y tight end, but has versatility even beyond that. He's an X factor nightmare that will afford a defense no tells. 21 years old, and again no weaknesses. George Kittle is the most frequent comp, but you'll see them all Kelce, Gronk, etc. In the video below you'll even see a reference to our own Dennis Pitta.

With a talent like Lamar Jackson in house, who's own versatility can break defenses with ease. I can picture Roman and DeCosta salivating at the opportunity to pair him up with the ultimate complementary weapon in TJ. Constantly blurring the line between run & pass with a high end triple TE centerpiece attack seems a powerful option with LJ8 under center. 

If we retain one of Boyle or Williams, this becomes less of a possibility imo. If we don't though- it's absolutely on the table. What better weapon can you give to a dual threat like LJ8, then one who affects both the run and pass to such a significant degree? At least that's how I think the FO could view the situation.

All 3 of them, Mark Andrews, Hayden Hurst, and TJ Hockenson, are former wide receivers. So don't get lost in the "Tight End" label and write this draft scenario off. All 3 can operate out of the slot, or on the perimeter. They would form a dynamic offensive core that lends itself to Lamar's strengths mightily. 

Doubt it? Sure. Just don't sleep on it.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/02/02/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-t-j-hockenson/

• Like 1

I don't think Hockenson is a sleeper pick for us for the exact reasons you mentioned. Without talking too much of draft watching process, Hockenson fell into my category of legit top end talents. Put on one film approx 6-8 minutes and he just stands out in both blocking and catching the football. Then read a little about him and it all fit together. With Hockenson, we get a blocker and a pass catcher which allow a lot of flexibility. It also allows Andrews to be the big slot guy and Hurst more of a movement tight end.

We also talk about giving Lamar weapons with a big catch radius, Hockenson is that and it would allow us to wait for drafting a wide receiver who can stretch the field later in the draft.

Drafting Hockenson would be giving us a core of 3 good tight ends and 1 complimentary blocker assuming we extends Boyle. Carrying 4 tight ends on gameday? We should just view it as bigger pass catchers.

If anyone is in doubt, I am in favor of drafting Hockenson - but I also believe he could be gone before 22.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, drd23 said:

If there was anything that would make me hate the Hurst pick last year even more it would be drafting another TE in the first round

Why? Hockenson seems like a really good player and it would allow us to move Hurst and Andrews around a lot more. Ofc we will have excessive draft value on the field at the position, but other teams have the same draft value running around at WR, CB, edge etc.

I don't know where Alabama cornerback Saivion Smith is projected to go, but he could be our next middle round cornerback to develop. Great skillset for what we want.

I have cooled down on Hamp Cheevers, as he simply doesn't have the physicality I want from cornerbacks

Put me on the TJH train. But I still would prefer JJAWs more for the reasons that @drd23 has stated. Not only would Hurst be the older tight end that is likely never going to provide the impact worthy of his draft capital, but he now would suddenly not even have a chance to be that guy.

With JJAWs there’s still a higher chance of seeing HH due to personnel that will likely include him.

That or worse, we draft TJH and we bench him for talents of less adequacy because they have “seniority” and are also talented.

That all said, it could work If done correctly. I could envision MAndrews in a Jimmy Graham role, Red Thor as a rich man’s Kyle Juszczyk (bigger, stronger, with better hands), and finally with TJH as Greg Kittle. We could also sub each player into multiple roles to keep them fresh. And it would protect us against durability concerns.

Lastly, if we were to draft two more TEs than we could summon:

a) Voltron

b) Megazord

c) Captain Planet

d) A Mile High Miracle

e) none of the above

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1