2018 CFB/2019 Draft Prospects

DreamKid

Fantasy Football has completely changed the dynamic of fan involvement in scouting/evaluating for the NFL Draft. Before, I'm sure more casual fans thought "Why the F do I care, I don't get to make the picks". Now though, with so many people in competitive leagues. Some fans evaluate harder than the pundits. They're trying to build up their rosters, just like the GMs in the NFL have to lol. Fantasy Football has absolutely driven analytics to the mainstream during pre draft coverage. The end goal is the same for both real and fantasy GMs, they want to find productive players. And a productive player in fantasy land is only that because of his real game impact. So some 500 pound greasy creep in Cleveland is just as invested in a comparison of a receiver's Burst Score to Target Market Share, as some director of scouting is for a Pro Club.  

It's an interesting dynamic and you'll notice the stark difference between the football enthusiasts and fantasy enthusiasts. That guy Matt Kelley over at PlayerProfiler said he doesn't even watch football games, except for the Playoffs and Super Bowl sometimes. He only cares about the numbers...

For me, fantasy football has changed very little.

I have posts on a danish board going back to 2003 (wasn't a Ravens fan yet though) where I questioned the relevans of Kyle Boller throwing 70 yards on his knees. The guys behind the board was among the best in the world at mocking the 1. round in the NFL draft, and their site is what inspired most danes my age to follow the draft (the site was called draftday.dk, and was obviously focused on the draft).

I can't remember when the draft coverage really took off, but I see it as a natural development where you get to know and look for the next new stars. Its the same in Europe with soccer, where the most incarnate fans watch the youth teams from the various clubs in search of the next talent. Those homegrown talents are often also fan favorites

15 minutes ago, Danand said:

Its the same in Europe with soccer, where the most incarnate fans watch the youth teams from the various clubs in search of the next talent. Those homegrown talents are often also fan favorites

People are still waiting on Ryan Gauld to come around right? :D

I have no idea who that is, I played the Champions Manager game back in 94 and think I played until 2003. Began playing football in 2002 and from then football basically became an all-consuming experience with both training, games and as an interest towards NFL and football in general. One of the last superstars I can recall was Freddy Adu from the MLS at age 14, I believe it was.

I didn't even follow the danish national team in the last world cup (or european championship I think it was)

15 minutes ago, drd23 said:

I still don't understand why Marlon doesn't have a verified Twitter account.

That Uber driver he messed with must have influence we can't begin to understand. Probably why he didn't make the Pro Bowl or All Pro list too.

#BoogerPick

Edit: For some reason the site is censoring Booger Pick, when I make it possessive. Odd. The only thing I can think of is it's close to an older slur, but even then it's spelled different. 

Edited by DreamKid

Jeremiah has his own idea of what to do with the Lamar Jackson offense - build a track star offense - which is most likely why Campbell is someone he would pick that high.

I haven't watched enough of Campbell, but as I see it, what he does is something we can find a couple of rounds later.

With how often Josh Jacobs is being mocked to us, what are everyone's thoughts on him?

Is he in anyway good enough to override the clear strategic flaw of drafting a HB early? 

The weakest spots on the team are WR, LG, C, FS, and IPR.

Playing Devil's Advocate- 

We have passable starters at LG & C, and the FO seems to like Bozeman.

Chuck Clark & DeShon Elliot can play FS, but likely lack Great or Elite range.

With how often we'll go TE heavy and run the ball. It's fair to say the receiver position could be somewhat devalued in our offense, or less of a priority. We have a decent WR in Willie Snead. Chris Moore has performed well on limited opportunities. And both Lasley & Scott are young options with upside. There aren't any no brainer 1st Round options at WR either.

Willie Henry and Chris Wormley will both be back as starters, presumably better then they've ever been. Zach Sieler has massive upside as well.

The team has needs, but overall it's a fairly young & deep roster. And if you look at those need positions in a very "generous" light, nothing seems too dire.

So is Josh Jacobs a "Superstar" player, that we can't afford to pass on?  Or, is the team is deep enough to where we should pursue a BPA runner that could get us over the hump? Similar to the Patriots approach in drafting Sony Michel last year.

Factor in that since Ray Rice fell apart, our lead runners have been Justin Forsett(14',15', Cut 7th Rounder), Terrence West(16', Cut 3rd Rounder), Alex Collins(17', Cut 5th Rounder), Gus Edwards(18', UDFA). We also almost got Phillip Lindsay last season who narrowed his choices down to us or the Broncos, choosing them because of his parents.

FWIW, Josh isn't just a run threat. He is plus receiver at the position and a plus returner. He just turned 21 in February, and had less than 300 total touches in college.

Edited by DreamKid

I think Josh Jacobs is a very very very good player who could be a 3-down back. He can run hard inside, bounce outside, create big plays, runs with a lot of physicality to tire defenses, he can catch very well AND he has limited wear and tear despite being an Alabama project. Personality and desire to play should be top notch.

Question is, how much can he develop? If he is so good, why wasn’t he used more often? How much more production can you get from a player picked in the 4 round and later? Does he ever see a second contract?

To me, runningbacks should only be picked high if everything else is in place – I don’t think that is the case with us, although I can see your point. A player like Saquon Barkley made the team better – but again, so did a Philip Lindsay – and in general, we see every year undrafted players and late round players perform to a level close to high drafted players.

• Like 2