2018 CFB/2019 Draft Prospects

DreamKid

As noted, I'm on the hype train for O-line help as well in the first round if we don't trade back. I think this class has more talent at the skill positions and we can grab them in the mid-rounds. We need VERY GOOD to "Elite" (I hate this word now) talent on the line more so than a WR, in my opinion.

And considering his size, not a willing blocker, not very active trying to find a player to block. Took a look at the video from the Alabama game. Had 1 big highlight and 1 great catch on a comeback, but other than that he gains less separation than I thought.

4 hours ago, M.10.E said:

Just interjecting: We lost against the Chargers because they WHOOPED our OL/blockers.

The first matchup our OL did well, what changed? Did they stop taking their senzu beans or is it possible that the one dimensional nature of our offensive gameplan up until the final 4 minutes of the game did the line no favors?

2 hours ago, Danand said:

And considering his size, not a willing blocker, not very active trying to find a player to block. Took a look at the video from the Alabama game. Had 1 big highlight and 1 great catch on a comeback, but other than that he gains less separation than I thought.

There is a lot to dislike about DKM when you look for it. But I never stated he was my favorite receiver in this class nor that he was an elite receiver. Like I stated, he’s got an elite trait that will make him successful in the NFL. In fact, his perfect fit would be with a talent like Lamar Jackson. Why?

Elite agility is most beneficial against man coverage to gain separation. Speed and size combines well against zone coverage where a defender has a spot he has to cover... if you’re fast and deceptive enough you can shred that space and make him pay, especially if he’s caught with his eyes in the backfield. Enter Lamar Jackson, he can only be guarded by virtue of zone coverage where everyone can spy on him. If you don’t he can take off and pick up 20 yards in a hurry.

You can see how when against zone coverage Metcalf gets behind the coverage.

Even in the tapes you hate against LSU, just look at how much safety attention Metcalf sees deep. Even in what was one of the NWO worst performances of their season, you see DKM’s presence being felt.

Now combined that with his age and the fact that if he ever develops the ability to box out and high point balls, he would truly be unstoppable.

... All that said, I don’t love DKM and much prefer JJ AW. He’s the best WR fit in this class IMO due to his size, agility, speed, scramble drill ability, and elite box out traits.

In terms of OL, I only really have been impressed by Jonah Williams and Garrett Bradbury. Williams will likely go top 10 and Bradbury would be an acceptable pick in my estimation, but he could go top 15 as well. Beyond that I see a bunch of 2nd round OL options from the tapes I’ve seen. Few legitimately grab my attention.

52 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

In terms of OL, I only really have been impressed by Jonah Williams and Garrett Bradbury. Williams will likely go top 10 and Bradbury would be an acceptable pick in my estimation, but he could go top 15 as well. Beyond that I see a bunch of 2nd round OL options from the tapes I’ve seen. Few legitimately grab my attention.

I like McCoy, Risner and Ford as well.

All Metcalf is, is young, big and fast - he is Breshad Perriman, and while both has promising upside, you have to bet a whole lot that you can develop that guy. Texas Tech is a baaad defense, and while we can agree that Metcalf receives cornerback and safety attention, he is not as dominating as his physical traits could suggest.

In the NFL he most likely doesn't have to win with much more than speed and physical ability, but I can't see the value in what he brings for a team like the Ravens.

If he was a missile from the outside, sprinting in to block a defender, I wouldn't be as skeptic about his blocking, but I just don't see him doing much. One of the Ravens twitter guys posted a cut up of Hakeem Butler, who used his frame to get into defenders and moving them out of the way. I could much more go for such a player rather than Metcalf.

^^^Butler has been flying up boards.

Hakeem makes a ton of sense for us. Infinite upside as a blocker on the perimeter. Freak athleticism and frame. He even has the head scratch drops Baltimore fans expect out of all our receivers.

If we go receiver super early, it will be him imo. It's so hard for me to picture EDC making his first ever pick a WR though. If we get the trade down we know the team wants, to late 1st or even 2nd Round territory, it would make more sense.

I can't help but think the team is paying extra attention to Marquise Brown as well.

-Comes out of the Oklahoma offense that gave us Orlando and Mark Andrews, the Browns Baker Mayfield, the Bengals Joe Mixon etc etc. Pretty high hit rate.

-Burner speed that will force all Safeties farther & farther away from Lamar and our Tight Ends. And electric YAC ability that can turn most catches into a big play or score.

-The Ravens value bloodlines, and it's hard to see them not coveting the cousin of a receiver who has so significantly effected the outcome of games against us directly. 

5 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Why is N'Keal Harry having his Pro Day in Baltimore?

I don't think he is. Likely, his agent just flew him in to meet with Coaches and GMs. He's probably just standing on his better than expected combine numbers and won't do much if anything at ASU's actually pro day. Which he might have talked to coaches about today.