2018 CFB/2019 Draft Prospects

DreamKid

On 11/11/2018 at 6:41 AM, DreamKid said:

A backfield of Lamar Jackson and David Montgomery would have defenses puking by Quarter 2.

So as opposed to watching a number of backs in succession, I spent 20 minutes looking over everything I could find on Montgomery. I definitely have to change my opinion of him from earlier. I see what I did wrong. I watched the first half of his 2018 Oklahoma game and wasn’t impressed (usually if a RB can’t jump out to me in 3 minutes, there’s nothing to see). After scrolling through the RB thread in he draft section someone mentioned that he’s been fighting through injuries in 2018. So after turning on his 2017 tapes and watching those and then watching the entire 2018 Oklahoma game, I definitely think he’s less explosive this season.

But his 2017 tape is top notch. With his balance, springy jump cut rushing style, strong pass blocking, receiving skills, and powerful stiff arm I thought Tomlinson. But he’s not possessed of elite athleticism. After more looking and thought, early 2000s Frank Gore comes to mind. Particularly when looking at Gore pre-injury at Miami I see similar athleticism.

On 10/28/2018 at 12:09 AM, diamondbull424 said:

Just got to say I’m very much disappointed with this running back class so far. Compared to some of last years class I would probably stack it like:

Tier 1- All Pro: Saquon Barkley

Tier 2- Pro Bowl: Nick Chubb, Bryce Love, Derrius Guice, Rashaad Penny, Sony Michel, Miles Sanders? (Fumbling)

Tier 3- Quality Starter: Justice Hill* (pass blocking)Damien Harris, Ronald Jones

Tier 4- Solid Starter: David Montgomery, Kalen Balage, Royce Freeman, Bennie Snell

Hill and Sanders could go either way in terms of tier two and three. But all in all I definitely don’t feel as confident in this back class as the last class, not by a long shot.

Updated RB listings:

Tier 1- All Pro: Saquon Barkley

Tier 2- Pro Bowl: Nick Chubb, Rashaad Penny, David Montgomery (Frank Gore), Derrius Guice, Bryce Love (Priest Holmes- injury prone), Sony Michel, Darrell Henderson (Brian Westbrook?)

Tier 3- Quality Starter: Justice Hill (terrible pass blocker), Damien Harris (not a fan of his attitude), Miles Sanders (Massive fumbler), Ronald Jones

Tier 4- Solid Starter: Kalen Balage, Royce Freeman, Bennie Snell

I’ll have to rewatch Penny and Montgomery at a later date to decide which back was better coming out.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

(usually if a RB can’t jump out to me in 3 minutes, there’s nothing to see).

I do that a lot with prospects too, especially early in the process.

I think the Gore comp is great. You see a lot of Gore in his runs during this highlight against WVU. Funny enough at the end the commentator compares him to another Miami great, ol' Edgerrin James. U

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I do that a lot with prospects too, especially early in the process.

I think the Gore comp is great. You see a lot of Gore in his runs during this highlight against WVU. Funny enough at the end the commentator compares him to another Miami great, ol' Edgerrin James. U

Yeah, James is a good one as well. I didn’t take a look at James post injury tape. I actually initially thought of James, but remembered him as being really fast. But now that I think about it, post injury he never had that same burst as before. I’ll have to take a look at some of Edges past highlights to compare.

@diamondbull424 A funny link between the Miami running back talk and the Alex Collins discussion.

I didn't know about any of this. Alex Collins didn't want to go to Miami, but his Mom sure as hell wanted him to. On signing day she stole the Letter of Intent for Arkansas and ran off with it lol. It even went to court..... 

That's some drama.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 9:24 PM, DreamKid said:

@diamondbull424 Have you watched Devin Singletary yet?  He's getting a lot of hype.

I hadn’t gotten a chance to watch him, though his name looks familiar so perhaps I watched him last season.

I definitely think he’s an interesting option. I think he would be more of a 3 star option for me in a similar field as a guy like Ito Smith from last seasons class.

He has a quality RB vision and is quite slippery. His speed is reminiscent of a guy like Ray Rice in that he’s extremely quick and has awesome acceleration up to his top speed, but he lacks any sort of deep speed to take it to the house consistently. He’s more of a 40-50 yd run and get caught in the red zone type of speed vs the speed to go the distance.

If I had to assume, I would say he’s a 4.51 guy. The one thing beyond his athleticism and running ability that I like is his blocking and willingness to mix it up there. That’s going to definitely help him at the NFL level as a COP option. I’d like to see a little more of what his hands are like, that’ll be key in determining if he’s a high end 3-Star option or a low end 3.

There are backs I like better in this class, but he’s definitely got a skillset that if he has good hands could be someone worth obtaining.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Our needs depends a lot on who we keep and who we let go. I don't know anything about the cap, but we have a secondary which works, lets keep it that way. I would potentially rather keep Zardarius Smith to a lower salary than what we would have to offer Mosley.

Brent Urban has played well in his first full year healthy and he could be another keeper. Jefferson they seem to like, but both him and Weddle could be potential cuts.

On offense we could say goodbye to potentially 2 of 3 FA WR aquisitions. I could see us saying goodbye to 1 tight end as well.

Canady, Henry and Collins are the only IR's I could see come back.

While I have talked a lot about getting oline early, I could see us going with what we have and in that case we just need to go for playmakers. That is a thing we still lack.

I still like the idea we get the complimentary pieces, WR, RB, LB in the later rounds and focus the first picks on the guys who will play the most snaps, FS, OL, DL.

Saw some of Riley Ridley yesterday, he could be an option. Wake Forest has some receivers as well, and a Greg Dortch I believe it was looked like another slot option

On 11/14/2018 at 4:34 AM, DreamKid said:

@diamondbull424 A funny link between the Miami running back talk and the Alex Collins discussion.

I didn't know about any of this. Alex Collins didn't want to go to Miami, but his Mom sure as hell wanted him to. On signing day she stole the Letter of Intent for Arkansas and ran off with it lol. It even went to court..... 

That's some drama.

Didn’t realize that was him. 

Guys that I’m familiar with and will be interested in seeing how they perform at the senior bowl.

https://www.ourlads.com/senior-bowl/roster/2019

Quarterbacks

QB, Penn State Penn State
HT: 6001v | WT: 198v
QB, Auburn Auburn
HT: 6020 | WT: 210

Running Backs

RB, Temple Temple
HT: 5110v | WT: 212v
RB, Washington Washington
HT: 5100 | WT: 191
RB, Michigan State Michigan State
HT: 6004v | WT: 225

Wide Receivers / Tight Ends

WR, Marshall Marshall
HT: 6025v | WT: 201v
WR, Missouri Missouri
HT: 6012v | WT: 196v
WR, Baylor Baylor
HT: 6041v | WT: 221v
WR, Buffalo Buffalo
HT: 6015v | WT: 220v
WR, South Carolina South Carolina
HT: 6000 | WT: 208
WR, Louisville Louisville
HT: 6016v | WT: 227v

Offensive Lineman

OG, Wisconsin Wisconsin
HT: 6061v | WT: 323v
OC, North Carolina St North Carolina St
HT: 6026v | WT: 301v
OG, Wisconsin Wisconsin
HT: 6044v | WT: 322v
OC/OG, Mississippi State Mississippi State
HT: 6041v | WT: 304v
OG, Oklahoma Oklahoma
HT: 6032 | WT: 315
OT/OG/OC, Kansas State Kansas State
HT: 6043v | WT: 297v

Defensive Lineman

DE, Boston College Boston College
HT: 6043v | WT: 284v
OB/DE, Mississippi State Mississippi State
HT: 6060v | WT: 241v
DT, Miami Miami
HT: 6020v | WT: 298v
DE/OB, Old Dominion Old Dominion
HT: 6034v | WT: 254v

Linebackers

LB, Kentucky Kentucky
HT: 6047v | WT: 250v
LB, North Carolina St North Carolina St
HT: 6026v | WT: 241v
DE/OB, Michigan Michigan
HT: 6030 | WT: 245

Defensive Backs

Nasir Adderley
S, Delaware
HT: 5114v | WT: 197v
SS, Miami Miami
HT: 5102v | WT: 190v
FS/CB, Maryland Maryland
HT: 5097v | WT: 190v

Gaskin, Emmanuel Hall, Jaylen Smith (obvious connection and chemistry), Dieter, Jenkins, Adderley and Savage Jr. are also on my watch list.

Don't think he is a senior, but Kenny Willekes is another guy I am taking a closer look at if he declares for the draft.

31 minutes ago, Danand said:

Gaskin, Emmanuel Hall, Jaylen Smith (obvious connection and chemistry), Dieter, Jenkins, Adderley and Savage Jr. are also on my watch list.

Don't think he is a senior, but Kenny Willekes is another guy I am taking a closer look at if he declares for the draft.

I’ll have to look into him. Both of the Miami Hurricane safeties are also of note, Jaquan Johnson (listed above) and Sheldrick Redwine. I’m really interested in Redwine if he applies to the draft. I like the physicality, tackling, and instincts he possesses. Kind of reminds me of DJ Swearinger of the Redskins.