2018 CFB/2019 Draft Prospects

DreamKid

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

This, plus the fact that Harbaugh openly admits that he doesn't trust rookies in part because the CBA means they don't get the practice they need early in their NFL careers.

Writing off Bozeman now because Skura (who had been with the team last year and already started games) was given the starting job is silly

And in addition to that, while Skura was in his “second year” with the team, it was really his third year given that he was an undrafted free agent back after the 2016 draft (same draft as Stanley). 

You generally don’t want to trust the rookie OL to be making the line calls and protections, but going into his second season with plenty of experience in games, you can’t trust him with those responsibilities. He also was competing with Hurst at LG by the end, so it’s not like he wasn’t stealing playing time from a starter.

If Nasir has a marketable flaw to his game, I haven't found it yet. He's not as freakish as Derwin James in that he could legitimately play a true LB role and meaningfully contribute off the edge, but he trades that in for superior range - ball skills - and instincts. Which isn't to say he can't play in the box. He absolutely can, he's a great tackler who takes proficient angles to the carrier and Nasir hits well above his weight class too. He also is great at stripping on gang tackles which I love. 

A center fielder like him would take our Defense to a new level. Against QBs like Mahomes and Mayfield who extend plays, a talent like Nasir is simply invaluable.

Versatile Safeties are now a key commodity in football. Just at look at what the Chargers were able to do to us with Phillips and James. Peanut is a former safety. Levine is a hybrid. These types of athletes are becoming defining players on Defense. We have a good group with Clark and Elliot in the pipeline, but man would a player like Adderley make a difference going forward. 

After Deionte Thompson's abortion of a Natty, I doubt he declares. And even before that many analysts had Nasir ahead of him, and rightly so. Adderley is Safety #1 on many boards. TDN has him 11th overall on their Big Board. I'm not positive he'll be there when we pick. Especially if he crushes the Senior Bowl and Combine.

I think our 3 biggest needs are 1. IOL, 2. IPR, and 3. Safety, and I've found some encouraging options for all but IPR so far. 

Edited by DreamKid

5 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

After Deionte Thompson's abortion of a Natty, I doubt he declares. And even before that many analysts had Nasir ahead of him, and rightly so. Adderley is Safety #1 on many boards. TDN has him 11th overall on their Big Board. I'm not positive he'll be there when we pick. Especially if he crushes the Senior Bowl and Combine.

Probably not. Top safety prospects usually get pushed up draft boards.

Except Derwin last year. Which was a mistake then and now looking back with hindsight. Weird, maybe teams were more concerned with his injury than we realized. 

31 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Except Derwin last year. Which was a mistake then and now looking back with hindsight. Weird, maybe teams were more concerned with his injury than we realized. 

I actually wasn't that shocked. As a pure FS Derwin isn't going to impact a game like an Earl Thomas or Ed Reed, and drafting any safety different from that mold so high is usually a questionable move. Derwin was a luxury prospect for a team that didn't have a lot of holes at key positions (OT,QB,EDGE,CB), like us or the Chargers.

This is from a post I did last year that outlined how Derwin could fall to us. Analyzing the Safety situation for other teams in front of us-

/A look at the safety situation for the teams in Derwin James draft range and why he could fall to us at pick #16-

6. NYJ- Safety Tandem (Jamal Adams+Marcus Maye)

7. TB- 

8. CHI- Safety Tandem (Adrian Amos+Eddie Jackson)

9. SF- Safety Tandem (Jimmie Ward+Jaquiski Tartt+Adrian Colbert)

10. OAK- Safety Tandem (Karl Joseph+Obi Melinfonwu)

11. MIA- Safety Tandem (Reshad Jones+TJ Macdonald)

12. CIN- Safety Tandem, passed on Malik Hooker last year. (George Iloka+Shawn Williams+)

13. WAS- Safety Tandem (DJ Swearinger+Montae Nicholson)

14. GB- * Two Safeties (HaHa Clinton-Dix+Josh Jones)

15. ARI- Safety Tandem (Tyrann Mathieu+Budda Baker+Antoine Bethea)

*The Packers have HaHa who is 1st round pick and Josh Jones who was a 2nd round pick last year but they often roll with three safety looks where Jones is more of a hybrid linebacker. With Morgan Burnett as good as gone in FA for them, they will have a hole at SS thus no true tandem./

^^^ Obviously some things changed with those situations but it painted a pretty advantageous picture for us Ravens fans hoping Derwin would fall. Teams either had some young Safeties in house or more pressing needs at key positions. TB and GB were the only threats imo, and in the end the Bucs stupidly picked a NT in Vea while the Packers traded down. 

You're right though, I don't think we're going to be as lucky this year. 

Edited by DreamKid

If Eric felt it was good value, he would absolutely pull the trigger on someone like Kyler imo. Lamar has shown a lot, and I believe he can become what we envision. However- until we have a proven franchise QB, we're still in the game. Add in the increased importance of another option due to Lamar's playing style and it becomes an even realer possibility. 

Put the base injury concerns aside, like a blown up knee or shoulder. Just like in the Falcons game, all it takes is one of those unaffiliated doctors to cry concussion and Lamar can be gone for stretches or worst case scenario the rest of a game. 

Now I don't think "Good Value" means a 1st Round Pick. We don't have cause to be that aggressive. I honestly wouldn't be shocked at a 2nd Round through 7th Round QB selection though. I'm not expecting one that high or even pushing for one that high, but if I'm being honest it wouldn't shock me.

I agree with that anonymous, likely imaginary GM, I think he ends up in the 1st. So don't put much stock into him exclusively, at the same time though don't sleep on this QB class.

Oh... she deleted it because that Matt guy was a polite gentleman. Dummy.

"You arent going to be great in the NFL! & to think many of us were rooting for you. Youre just a stupid, selfish, baby & brat. I NEVER say this but I wont care a bit when you suck or critically injured in your rookie NFL season. 🖕In fact, I will likely tweet".

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

As a pure FS Derwin isn't going to impact a game like an Earl Thomas or Ed Reed, and drafting any safety different from that mold so high is usually a questionable move.

Jamal Adams? 

42 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I agree with that anonymous, likely imaginary GM, I think he ends up in the 1st.

Him forgoing his contract with the A's for the NFL draft will be because he'd have got a 1st round recommendation from the NFL Draft Advisory Board (or whatever it's called), and that will be because enough FOs had told them that they believe him to be a 1st rounder.

As for those tweets, I find that calm, level criticism of the content of the message is the best way to respond to something so clearly wrong or distasteful.  Or just ignoring them because this sort of thing is frequently done for attention.  The second tweet just screams of someone trying to maintain the higher ground after being called out

1 minute ago, drd23 said:

Jamal Adams? 

Adams was seen as a transformative locker room presence. A generational leader from what I remember, and the Jets were in a bad way. That pushed him up their board, and in the end they left some young talented QBs on the board. 

Marlon & Lattimore too. :ph34r:

Funny what only a month brings. When I put together my mock draft for December (putting together my January mock soon), I really liked what I saw from Nasir Adderley. Thought he was going to be a 4th round steal and arguably the best safety I scoured of this class; fast forward only a month and now he’s expected to be the first safety off the board.

That said, I’m obviously not against Adderley, but his price has become too high IMO. So for my mock, I’ll be moving onto my #2 safety option, Sheldrick Redwine. Really loved what I saw from him as well on tape. He’s not as rangy as Nasir, but boy does he lay the wood... and his tackling is of quality technique. If Nasir is a poor man’s Malik Hooker (which I think he is) than Redwine is probably a poor man’s Derwin James. Really good tape IMO.

30 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Thought he was going to be a 4th round steal and arguably the best safety I scoured of this class; fast forward only a month and now he’s expected to be the first safety off the board.

He's rising even quicker than Marcus Davenport last year. lol These Draft Analysts are falling in love. I really think Nasir is going to break Flacco's Delaware school record of highest drafted(18th) at this point.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

Funny what only a month brings. When I put together my mock draft for December (putting together my January mock soon), I really liked what I saw from Nasir Adderley. Thought he was going to be a 4th round steal and arguably the best safety I scoured of this class; fast forward only a month and now he’s expected to be the first safety off the board.

That said, I’m obviously not against Adderley, but his price has become too high IMO. So for my mock, I’ll be moving onto my #2 safety option, Sheldrick Redwine. Really loved what I saw from him as well on tape. He’s not as rangy as Nasir, but boy does he lay the wood... and his tackling is of quality technique. If Nasir is a poor man’s Malik Hooker (which I think he is) than Redwine is probably a poor man’s Derwin James. Really good tape IMO.

Not the mold of what I would be hoping for as the successor/replacement for Weddle.

8 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I think Nasir Adderley have been on many teams radar as a high round pick for some time. It already seems several of us noticed him and his versatility and effort almost immediately, while those who have been most recognized by media pundits are the big school safeties (Deionte Thompson, Abrams etc.) Safeties like Justin Simmons and Kevin Byard were also safeties that fans and media didn't give notice but was rated high on teams boards. I believe both were selected in the 3. round.

Byard flew under the radar despite putting up great interception numbers, and Simmons was a really good athlete.

4 hours ago, Danand said:

I think Nasir Adderley have been on many teams radar as a high round pick for some time. It already seems several of us noticed him and his versatility and effort almost immediately, while those who have been most recognized by media pundits are the big school safeties (Deionte Thompson, Abrams etc.) Safeties like Justin Simmons and Kevin Byard were also safeties that fans and media didn't give notice but was rated high on teams boards. I believe both were selected in the 3. round.

Byard flew under the radar despite putting up great interception numbers, and Simmons was a really good athlete.

For the life of me, I still don’t get why people were impressed with that guy. When I looked at him, I saw a guy that couldn’t cover ground to be cover 1 and couldn’t tackle. He tried to body tackle, only he doesn’t even have the size to be a somewhat intimidating body tackler for a safety (like a.. Tony Jefferson). Even with another year I don’t see how he’s naturally going to develop either. He could play in the league, but I can’t see him lasting as anything more than a JAG starter or roster fodder. Infinitely better of an athlete than me, but can’t say I’m a fan of his prospects.