2018 CFB/2019 Draft Prospects

DreamKid

Give me Hjalte Froholdt and Myles Gaskin and Antoine Winfield Jr.

We are going to fight a lot about which runningback makes our juice flowing next draft season. There is a little bit of everything again.

Edited by Danand

On 9/8/2018 at 7:39 PM, Danand said:

Give me Hjalte Froholdt and Myles Gaskin and Antoine Winfield Jr.

We are going to fight a lot about which runningback makes our juice flowing next draft season. There is a little bit of everything again.

Wait is that actually Antoine Winfield's son?

Is this what it feels like to start to get old? 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Danand said:

That is THE Antoine Winfields son, yup, we are becoming old

I'm 26 and when I saw "Antoine Winfield Jr." on ESPN highlights I was like "uhhhhhh, wait what?" Then I did the math and unfortunately it added up.

Myles Gaskin and Taylor Rapp are beasts man, but Gaskin has always given me "workhorse" concerns because of his size, but I guess he just looks small because he's 5'10 195 so if he bulked up to maybe 215 or something he'd be great. 

But I think if we've learned anything, it's that OL gets you places on offense. We've got the skill position guys (if we can add a damn WR anytime in the next 5 years), we need to solidify the OL moving forward. Hopefully with Stanley and Zeus we've got our bookends down, but LG/C/RG is a concern moving forward.

Gaskin categorizes as a scat back, if we still use the old outdated terms for the runningback committee. Gaskin is a 12 touches a game guy who can do a little bit of everything. I love his combination of patience and then the smooth acceleration on the outside. A little more determination once he gets to the second level with defenders in front of him and I think he will be a really efficient back.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we could get this one going already, as we can already see what we should be looking for in next years draft.

Without going into who to pick where, he is a couple of players I already have marked down to look at the next couple of months.

1. Hjalte Froholdt, OC/OG, Arkansas

Obviously because he is danish. He is having a down year though with the rest of the Arkansas line, and he would most likely be a depth player anyway,

2. Myles Gaskin, RB Washington

I think he got a little bit of everything and could be a great utility back. Great as a slashing type of back who can catch, run routes and has really good contact balance to pick up extra yards.

3. Taylor Rapp, S, Washington

Really like what I have seen from him, a do it all safety who have to show he can cover better however. Seems like a player who might be best in a cover 2 system, but we have a DeShon Elliot waiting in the wings who might be a great compliment to what Rapp does.

4. Lukas Denis, FS, Boston College

Deep coverage safety who can find the ball. Those are always worth a lot if they bring the speed necessary.

I’m not sure what we most need on this squad (because we seem to be decently balanced and have good depth in many places), but I’d say our biggest/most realistic positional needs to target at this point would be:

1. Center- We missed out by not having picked up Frank Ragnow. In very short hindsight, with what Mark Andrews provides and Williams healing up just enough, I would definitely trade Hurst for a decade of Ragnow leading our OL. But hey hindsight is not yet written. But guys of Ragnow’s caliber and sureness as prospects at center are few and far between.

2. WR- Just my early analysis of the guys considered the top options has not impressed me in the slightest. Some smaller profile guys will probably need to emerge as legit options for me to be down with one of these guys, but I guess we’ll see.

3. CB- High round corners seem to offer higher value on return than some of the other positions. We were able to draft Humphrey in the middle of the round. Revis and Leon Hall were drafted in the middle of the round. Jimmy Smith went late first. You can get good value in that position and get a lot of good years. Smith may or may not return at a high level, but he’s not durable and is getting older. Brandon Carr has obviously declined. We have Humphrey, Young, Canady, and Averett as very viable options, but if an elite corner is there that would make our defense even more dangerous.

4. OG- I get the feeling that this will be Marshal Yanda’s final season. I even get the feeling that he’s probably let a select few of his teammates know (perhaps Flacco). That said, I think Ozzie already has his plan on place for our future RG- James Hurst, who I think will do well. But Alex Lewis has not proven to be anything special. He’s solid in pass pro, but running left is tragic, part of that is Stanley, but a bigger part of that is Lewis. He’s very replaceable and for our unit to advance we could use a dominant road grading type of LG to plug next to Stanley.

5a. RB- I’ve said it time and again. Not the biggest Alex Collins fan. He’s definitely a good change of pace option. But he’s not an elite back and I don’t trust how he carries the football, it just does not look secure. I wouldn’t make a commitment, I’d rather we draft an elite option if available. If not, our current rotation is definitely very solid.

5b. FS- I think Weddle plays another season unless we win a Superb Owl, he seems to enjoy playing. He’s still got some juice in the tank and is a good leader of men. We have enough safety depth as it is, but if an elite safety is there for the taking, it should be a definite no brainer pick for the future.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So looking at potential running backs that could be available in 2019 and I’m really loving what I see from Miles Sanders. The guy is a definite beast.

Watching him he kind of reminds me of watching Marshawn Lynch. He’s always falling forward. Seems to have quality hands. Administers more damages than he takes in. That all said, his biggest issue is the reason Alex Collins isn’t a franchise back, he fumbles the football far too often. Perhaps he cleans it up, but as of right now he’s fumbling the ball about every 50 touches, that’s unacceptable.

I will be going to take a look at him. I am still on the Myles Gaskin train and otherwise i believe we should find our Phillip Lindsay in next years draft. And explosive, fast, productive yet underrated player. (if it is that easy)

• Like 1

So I’ve occasionally be taking a look at the WRs in this class that the “experts” deem as the best: AJ Brown, Anthony Johnson, etc. Haven’t really been a fan of those guys. But N’Keal Henry has got to be probably my favorite WR prospect in years. Honestly, I would be all for the Ravens trading up in the draft to secure him. I think he’s going to be a stud at the NFL level. Not sure where he’ll get drafted, but I think he’s a top 15 prospect from what I’ve seen to this point.

Edited by diamondbull424

• 3 weeks later...

Just got to say I’m very much disappointed with this running back class so far. Compared to some of last years class I would probably stack it like:

Tier 1- All Pro: Saquon Barkley

Tier 2- Pro Bowl: Nick Chubb, David Montgomery (Edgerrin James- lacks elite athleticism), Rashaad Penny, Bryce Love (Priest Holmes- low durability), Derrius Guice, Sony Michel, Darrell Henderson (Warrick Dunn?).

Tier 3- Quality Starter: Justice Hill, (terrible pass blocker), Rodney Anderson (Major durability concerns), Miles Sanders (terrible ball control), Damien Harris (bad vibes about his character), Ronald Jones.

Tier 4- Solid Starter: Kalen Balage, Royce Freeman, Bennie Snell

Just an update for myself too better keep track of for later in the process.

Edit: 11/17

Edited by diamondbull424

2 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

So, Bryce Love...

what's going on with him this season?

From the bit I’ve seen, the Stanford OL makes our OL look like pro bowlers. But the good thing about Love is that he’s looked good as a pass blocker (especially given his size) as well as a receiver out of the backfield.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

From the bit I’ve seen, the Stanford OL makes our OL look like pro bowlers. But the good thing about Love is that he’s looked good as a pass blocker (especially given his size) as well as a receiver out of the backfield.

I'd LOVE to have a great do-it-all RB to pair with LJ8. That route running RB is a necessity and would be even harder to defend with Jackson in the backfield. He could be our McCaffrey.