2nd Best Cornerback in the League?

mdonnelly21

89 members have voted

1. 1. 2nd best Cornerback in the league?

• A.J Bouye
    • Desmond Trufant
    • Casey Hayward Jr
    • Xavier Rhodes
    • Patrick Peterson
    • Richard Sherman
    • Darius Slay Jr
    • Jimmy Smith
    • Aquib Talib
    • Chris Harris Jr
    • Marshon Lattimore
    • Marcus Peters
    • Other

8 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

Tre’Davious White is playing at an all pro level right now.

Shadowed and shut down Keenan Allen, Diggs and Corey Davis the past 3 week. It’ll be fun watching him battle D Hopkins next week. 

Yea don't be so sure unless Watson is out.

10 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Yea don't be so sure unless Watson is out.

It'll be tough no doubt but if he can contain Hopkins after taking out Allen, Diggs and Davis - I don't know how he isn't one of the top 2-3 CBs.

Last year he was asked to play one side of the field but this year they're letting him follow the teams #1 and it's paying off. True shutdown CB after 5 weeks.

2 hours ago, The BILLievers said:

It'll be tough no doubt but if he can contain Hopkins after taking out Allen, Diggs and Davis - I don't know how he isn't one of the top 2-3 CBs.

Last year he was asked to play one side of the field but this year they're letting him follow the teams #1 and it's paying off. True shutdown CB after 5 weeks.

Well Byron Jones has been the best performing CB this year according to PFF and it shows on the field. But Hopkins was burning him left and right with his routes. Hopkins is the modern day Jerry Rice. 

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

Well Byron Jones has been the best performing CB this year according to PFF and it shows on the field. But Hopkins was burning him left and right with his routes. Hopkins is the modern day Jerry Rice. 

The top 5 CBs according to PFF:

1) Byron Jones

2) Patrick Peterson

3) Jason McCourty

4) Bryce Callahan

5) Chris Harris Jr.

12 hours ago, SBLIII said:

The top 5 CBs according to PFF:

1) Byron Jones

2) Patrick Peterson

3) Jason McCourty

4) Bryce Callahan

5) Chris Harris Jr.

PFF is trash and this is another example.

While Callahan has been excellent....he has been playing the slot (we have been running mostly nickel packages). And in do in so, he doesn't have the same responsibility as outside corners do. He wasn't even given the outside role when Prince went down with in an injury...Toliver was...which speaks alot of what one of the best DC's in the league(Fangio) thinks of his ability. 

PFF don't take these type of things into account when evaluating players.

On 10/5/2018 at 9:53 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

I love CHJ, but he's not the 2nd best CB in the league. He was excellent in the Chiefs game for the most part, but his play so far this year has been patchy at best.

I think a lot of that has to do with the departure of Talib. CHJ just doesn't have the athletic ability and/or size to be a true #1 CB. His ability to play well on the outside and at a very high level in the slot makes him a fantastic player to have on your team but not good enough for a conversation like this.

I'm talking about over an entire career. Not just one year or a few games. Consistency matters to me. Not like these people who were trying to call Lattimore "a lock-down cornerback" last year. 

CHJ has played the right side for the majority of his career. The CB position is tough to play as it is because of the rules set in place. But when you play the right side as a CB (from a QB perspective) it makes it even harder because most QB's are right handed who generally role to the same side of the field and are naturally more accurate throwing to a side where their not throwing across the body. 

Edit: Yet and still. Harris has thrived. I was not a big fan of the praise given to Bailey during his tenure but this is one aspect that I recognized because he was in the same position. 

6 hours ago, The BILLievers said:

Tre White vs D Hopkins : 5 catches, 63 yards and a TD. The TD was an amazing catch with great coverage. Lowest receiving yards on the year but Hopkins is insane.

And 3 penalties committed. 5 yard penalties, but all automatic first downs and at least one was on third and long.

13 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

And 3 penalties committed. 5 yard penalties, but all automatic first downs and at least one was on third and long.

Hopkins was actually only credited with 2 catches for 23 yards and 1 TD against Tre'Davious White. The other 4 catches came in zone coverage and not when they were matched up.

He's got to be a top 2-3 CB in the NFL right now.

Contained Hopkins and shut down Diggs, D Adams, K Allen.

11 hours ago, The BILLievers said:

Hopkins was actually only credited with 2 catches for 23 yards and 1 TD against Tre'Davious White. The other 4 catches came in zone coverage and not when they were matched up.

He's got to be a top 2-3 CB in the NFL right now.

Contained Hopkins and shut down Diggs, D Adams, K Allen.

Where did you get that from?

Archived