Around the NFL II - Even NFLier

y2lamanaki

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So when are going to get the Everson Griffen to SF trade done??

I kind of want it to get done too lol. The more I thought about it, the more I was on board with it. Maybe it was just remembering how he ate up Staley quite a bit last year in week one and it's coloring my vision lol

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I kind of want it to get done too lol. The more I thought about it, the more I was on board with it. Maybe it was just remembering how he ate up Staley quite a bit last year in week one and it's coloring my vision lol

He's still good man. He had that mental health scare last year, but when he came back he was playing like his normal self soon enough. And just a year prior he was a legitimate DPOY candidate. I would feel much better bringing him in and then knowing we will also get to double up on an edge rusher in the draft. 

Shanny/Lynch need to get busy!!

12 hours ago, Forge said:

I don't know why we would do that at this point with Saleh still back there to be honest. And I think it's the defense that Shanny wants to run (they used it in his Atlanta days as well). If we weren't going to change the coverages when we were ill equipped personnel wise to run it, not sure why we would change it when we have the chance to add the players to actually make it work (though I feel like that would totally be a thing that we do LOL)

I know we had some injuries in the secondary but our entire back end looked completely clueless in zone coverage repeatedly (***minus Richard Sherman***). So many of our young players were made to look foolish back there. It was poor schemes get worked with guys running wide open constantly.

Worst attempt at zone I have ever seen in any sport lol pitiful at times. Especially in the redzone, the place its supposed to be the easiest for the defense because the field condenses. On a small field we still couldnt run zone, its embarrassing really, - for all involved. 

I am hoping they can figure it out with a new secondary coach, who was hired as a "passing game coordinator" which to me says he will have a greater influence in what coverages are put into the gameplan and how they are implemented. Joe Woods has never ran the Seattle cover 3 to my knowledge.

You'd hope he would bring his DC experience into the room. Denver did/does have a good pass defense, so there is precedent somewhat. Good defenses these days need to be highly adaptable. 

with that being said Saleh gets another shot with some new players, who hopefully can stay healthy, who are hopefully running something with a twist. you have to mix it up on a yearly basis. I felt like Saleh did have some nice gameplans as the season progressed. He is young, I will give him a real shot this year if he can show continued growth in adaptability and flexibility. The half time adjustments need to improve greatly. 

Earl is absolutely the best FS we could ask for to step in right away. He is the guy the entire scheme was designed around in the first place. We have the money, lets go get the absolute best players that money can buy this year. 

It makes sense that Earl would have his kids/family move to a part of Texas that there isnt an NFL team. Anywhere else he goes, he will need to figure out where to live from July-January. Well maybe he plans on staying with Sherman. It would make sense honestly. I think there would be good synergy with that setup. Its easy and financially responsible. could offset those California taxes!

Remember when they took earl thomas 14th overall out of Texas. I thought it was in the top 5 so I went back and looked who was drafted that year and it was actually #14th.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2010/draft.htm 

That was a stacked draft at the top with the obvious exceptions. Picks 2-6 all have a reasonable shot at the HOF.

We took Anthony Davis before Thomas. Shame that guy retired and then re-retired. He was a really talented player who didnt want to beat up his body on crappy teams for terrible coaches. We then took Iupati later in that round and those two maulers grinded out yards with Gore. That was beautiful to watch. Gore >>>>>. 

Funny how Pete Carroll ended up with zero guys from USC on his NFL team. None that I can remember. He instead took all the guys he beat in college. Sherman, Baldwin etc and Im sure he tried to recruit Earl out of HS. 

Do you remember that we then we took Taylor Mays out of USC in the second round? only because Mike Singletary pounded his chest and yelled and screamed while we were on the clock and Trent Baalke caved? REMEMBER how stiff that guy was? should have moved to linebacker honestly. Brian Urlacher did it. Id love to find some specialized small school fundamentally sound athlete that we can insert into a different role than they played in college. Its what Belichick would do. Taylor Mays was a train wreck at the NFL level. 

I wonder who Baalke would have drafted right after that spot where we drafted Taylor Mays at pick #49? (What a waste of a #49 by the 49ers btw). Anyone want to take a guess? Sean Lee would have been a good one except for the fact we drafted Navarro Bowman at pick #91 (who was literally out next pick), Baalke's best pick in the history of blind men playing darts. So who knows, probably a good thing that Singletary was buffoon who demanded a terrible player get drafted because it led us to BOWMAN (why didnt we have very many draft picks that year?) 

There were actually some baalke guys on the board at #49, Carlos Dunlap could have made sense, but thats probably giving him too much credit lol he wasnt a great scheme fit at the time. similar frame to aldon though when you think about it, who we drafted the following year

The point is that the draft is a funny game. Weird things happen and certain plans fall into place or they dont. This year's draft class seems to be strong in areas that our team has deficiencies, thats a good sign. I have confidence that we have a plan, at the least. How good of a plan it is, and how well things will fall into place for us is yet to be seen 

Drafting and signing guys who fit a specific role into a specific scheme seems like a fantastic idea. 

• Like 1