Around the NFL II - Even NFLier

y2lamanaki

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

I still don't get how this was leaked out at the combine. Like seriously how? Who shows their cards this early in the process? 

Anyways, this was expected. Don't like it for multiple of reasons. One, Murray will give us hell for years to come, and two, we won't be able get a crazy trade package. 

Welcome aboard Nick! Hopefully you live up to the hype and become a perennial Pro Bowler for years to come. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 1

Not at all dismissing the Murray to AZ stuff, but I just don't see the good in announcing it early. It has to.. at minimal.. anger the League and Draft world by lessening the anticipatory excitement heading in. 

All the same, please do draft Murray, AZ. 

2 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Not at all dismissing the Murray to AZ stuff, but I just don't see the good in announcing it early. It has to.. at minimal.. anger the League and Draft world by lessening the anticipatory excitement heading in. 

All the same, please do draft Murray, AZ. 

From a competitive standpoint, I don't get why Arizona would want to leak it with their division rival at #2. If true, we can now completely plan out our initial draft strategy rather than having only 10 minutes to make the decision. Granted, there are only 3 possible scenarios to plan for: one where the Cards take Murray and our #1 guy on our board is available, one where Cards take our #1 and Murray is available for a trade back or our #2 guy is available, and a scenario where the Cards take neither Murray nor our #1 and both are available. But that's still an advantage the Cards have by keeping quiet. 

As a fan of the draft, I LOVE that it's announced early. The Cardinals are all but officially on the clock now. I hate when the #1 team takes forever to make a choice that they had 3+ months to plan for once the draft starts. Goodell should come out, announce the draft is starting and then immediately announce the #1 pick.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

From a competitive standpoint, I don't get why Arizona would want to leak it with their division rival at #2. If true, we can now completely plan out our initial draft strategy rather than having only 10 minutes to make the decision. Granted, there are only 3 possible scenarios to plan for: one where the Cards take Murray and our #1 guy on our board is available, one where Cards take our #1 and Murray is available for a trade back or our #2 guy is available, and a scenario where the Cards take neither Murray nor our #1 and both are available. But that's still an advantage the Cards have by keeping quiet. 

As a fan of the draft, I LOVE that it's announced early. The Cardinals are all but officially on the clock now. I hate when the #1 team takes forever to make a choice that they had 3+ months to plan for once the draft starts. Goodell should come out, announce the draft is starting and then immediately announce the #1 pick.

They should just have Kyler come out and announce that the draft has started in a Cardinals uniform. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I hate when the #1 team takes forever to make a choice that they had 3+ months to plan for once the draft starts.

See, I actually like the mystery, albeit a small one, about the #1 pick and on.

Goodell should come out, announce the draft is starting and then immediately announce the #1 pick.

Now, I agree completely with this. Once the clock starts, it's nice to get the ball rolling downhill. This could spoil a team's trade possibilities on Draft Day, but other teams have had plenty of negotiating time. It would just come down to last moment jitters by the team, and if someone blinks in a panic. 

^ some quick thoughts in bolded

52 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

I don't know if I explained that clearly, @y2lamanaki

I don't like teams at #1 exclaiming the pick a month prior to the Draft. 

I do like when a team knows who they will take.. that they not wait the full allotted time to turn in the card.. but I get why they might. 

I think it was a good explanation; I understood what you meant. And put that way, I guess I do agree from a suspense standpoint. Suspense does make the draft fun.

This year is still a bit different to me as we pick #2, so knowing a definitive #1 means we know all of the possibilities of the pick rather than all minus one. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I still don't get how this was leaked out at the combine. Like seriously how? Who shows their cards this early in the process? 

Who shows their cards this early, why the cards of course!

Also, Kingsbury is the one driving the bus with this pick, and he's never been a part of an NFL offseason before, so it makes perfect sense the newbie who doesn't know how to play the game of thrones would tip his hand. 

I don't know if we have done much better, considering everyone thinks/knows we are taking Bosa. 

I still wonder if there is a possibility that the Cardinals know we want Bosa, decide to take bosa at #1, then hope murray falls to #4 with the raiders, and then swap both players and get an extra first. Obviously there is risk someone else trades up for Murray, so they may not risk it, but its a scenario that would make sense

34 minutes ago, N4L said:

Who shows their cards this early, why the cards of course!

Also, Kingsbury is the one driving the bus with this pick, and he's never been a part of an NFL offseason before, so it makes perfect sense the newbie who doesn't know how to play the game of thrones would tip his hand. 

I don't know if we have done much better, considering everyone thinks/knows we are taking Bosa. 

I still wonder if there is a possibility that the Cardinals know we want Bosa, decide to take bosa at #1, then hope murray falls to #4 with the raiders, and then swap both players and get an extra first. Obviously there is risk someone else trades up for Murray, so they may not risk it, but its a scenario that would make sense

Nah that won't happen. Why risk a team trading up to two for Murray if you want him take him at 1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

Nah that won't happen. Why risk a team trading up to two for Murray if you want him take him at 1.

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Obviously there is risk someone else trades up for Murray, so they may not risk it, but its a scenario that would make sense

The Quinn trade has me kinda of puzzled. That was a trade I mentioned earlier in the off-season and one I felt made a lot of sense for us. To see the Cowboys do it instead if us just adds salt to the wound. He would have been a cheap, vet one year rental who could have had a nice role on this team, especially as a sub-package guy and a back-up@Leo.

24 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

The Quinn trade has me kinda of puzzled. That was a trade I mentioned earlier in the off-season and one I felt made a lot of sense for us. To see the Cowboys do it instead if us just adds salt to the wound. He would have been a cheap, vet one year rental who could have had a nice role on this team, especially as a sub-package guy and a back-up@Leo.

I rather like having the potential from Dee Ford. He's done more lately than Quinn. I do like Quinn, but his career seems to be in the twilight...

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

I also wanted Robert Quinn here, yes. I traded AA for Quinn in a community mock last month.  ( and still drafted Bosa, of course )

I don't yet know what the trade comp is for Dallas.. but I had expected Miami would have simply cut him by now IRL. 

I do at the least think Ford can be a good add.. and I like the team friendly-ish contract. 

I think Quinn largely depends on what you were planning to do with him. If you were going to play him at LEO, that wouldn't have solved the problem, so Ford makes sense still there. If you're playing him at SDE, I Don't know that he's really any better than Blair as a rotational pass rusher - at least not enough to carry the hit and give up the pick (even if it's only a 6th rounder next year)