Around the NFL II - Even NFLier

y2lamanaki

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I think Quinn largely depends on what you were planning to do with him. If you were going to play him at LEO, that wouldn't have solved the problem, so Ford makes sense still there. If you're playing him at SDE, I Don't know that he's really any better than Blair as a rotational pass rusher - at least not enough to carry the hit and give up the pick (even if it's only a 6th rounder next year) 

Interesting. Did Quinn balloon up to 280+ or something?

Quinn's 2 inches taller and maybe 15 lbs heavier. What is it about Quinn that makes him a poor fit as LEO, in your POV?   

Just now, oldman9er said:

Interesting. Did Quinn balloon up to 280+ or something?

Quinn's 2 inches taller and maybe 15 lbs heavier. What is it about Quinn that makes him a poor fit as LEO, in your POV?   

oh, no, he would have been a fine leo. Just not a great one because i think he's trending downward. Sorry, should have clarified that. I don't think he's the robert quinn from 12/13 racking up double digit sacks. I Think he's capped. It's not his position I would have had an issue with him in regards to production, but rather his overall ability as a player at this point of his career. I don't think that we would have been happy acquiring him and thinking the leo role solved. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

oh, no, he would have been a fine leo. Just not a great one because i think he's trending downward. Sorry, should have clarified that. I don't think he's the robert quinn from 12/13 racking up double digit sacks. I Think he's capped. It's not his position I would have had an issue with him in regards to production, but rather his overall ability as a player at this point of his career. I don't think that we would have been happy acquiring him and thinking the leo role solved. 

Oh I see. Got ya. Yeah, it's easily reasonable (maybe highly likely expectation) that he won't become a top tier edge guy again. 

Maybe playing next to Buck would have proven otherwise, but still, he's no spring chicken. 

No, I think the idea was that he get acquired on a somewhat friendly 2 year deal, as we develop and rotate in our rd 1-2 rookie draft pick. You know... one of them real PREMIUM picks. :P 

Jordan Howard for a 2020 6th round pick. I know we definitely don’t need another back, but he would have been a great change of pace for our track team backfield. It’s pretty crazy how he could be had for so little after his awesome rookie year and good second season.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/eagles-acquire-rb-jordan-howard-in-trade-with-bears-sending-late-round-2020-pick-to-chicago/

57 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Jordan Howard for a 2020 6th round pick. I know we definitely don’t need another back, but he would have been a great change of pace for our track team backfield. It’s pretty crazy how he could be had for so little after his awesome rookie year and good second season.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/eagles-acquire-rb-jordan-howard-in-trade-with-bears-sending-late-round-2020-pick-to-chicago/

I've said it before, but I feel bad for Howard. Quality back, but not the kind who would probably get a second contract with his team. Was always going to fall through the cracks. He's the type of running back that gets chewed up and spit out

I'll always love Jordan Howard for fantasy reasons. Knocked off the previous champ after trading with said champ for Howard during his breakout year. The deciding game for our season also happened to be Howard playing Minnesota on monday night football. I had a 20+ point deficit against the former champ and started Howard..He ruined Minnesota and voila..champ ded.

I then turned that hype into enough auction money to go get Saquon Barkley. Sold Howard for 120$ (250 being team average) and I tanked it that year for Saquon.

now RMT: 

QB: Cam, Jimmy G, Dak

RB: Saquon, Kamara, Guice, Hyde, Darrell Williams,  L. Murray, Gallman, D. Martin and Chris Warren

WR: Michael Thomas, DeAndre Hopkins, Dede Westbrook, Corey Davis, David Moore, 

TE: OJ Howard, Ian Thomas.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Forge said:

I think Quinn largely depends on what you were planning to do with him. If you were going to play him at LEO, that wouldn't have solved the problem, so Ford makes sense still there. If you're playing him at SDE, I Don't know that he's really any better than Blair as a rotational pass rusher - at least not enough to carry the hit and give up the pick (even if it's only a 6th rounder next year) 

No, I wasn't saying trade for Quinn instead of signing Ford. I wanted us to add Quinn to pair with Ford. To be his primary back-up in base, while gettting the bulk of his snaps in subpackages, lined up opposite Ford at DE. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Two firsts doesn't even make sense since they didn't get that from the Browns. Even if you add Peppers, he's not a 1st round value.

No way you can convince me a package of 2019 1st round swaps, 2020 1st rounder and say a 2019 4th rounder isn't a much stronger offer than what the Giants offered. May not even need to include the 4th rounder. Anyways, I would have done OBJ plus 2019 3rd for the #2 overall pick. Then could have traded for Ford with a 2020 2nd. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Two firsts doesn't even make sense since they didn't get that from the Browns. Even if you add Peppers, he's not a 1st round value.

No way you can convince me a package of 2019 1st round sways, 2020 1st rounder and say a 2019 4th rounder isn't a much stronger offer than what the Giants offered. May not even need to include the 4th rounder. Anyways, I would have done OBJ plus 2019 3rd for the #2 overall pick. Then could have traded for Ford with a 2020 2nd. 

They wanted two firsts this year. Which they have with their own pick plus the browns one. 

7 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

They wanted two firsts this year. Which they have with their own pick plus the browns one. 

Which is short sided on their part. Whatever they received with the Browns package isn't better than the package I proposed. And okay even if they wanted two #1's, I'd still have traded that pick for OBJ and a 3rd rounder. 

Like I said last time:

OBJ+best edge defender in the 2nd>>Bosa+best WR in the 2nd. Simply put, that's what it comes down for me. 

Pretty much this. And props to Kawakami, his scenario he said he heard at the combine pretty much ended up being what happened here. 

And back to the topic of NYG wanting two no. 1s this year.

Would a swap of 1sts from #6 to #2 equal more value than going from #36 to #17? Interesting question there. And then we could have added more from there. Wonder what the team offered since they weren't willing to give up the #2 pick.

Edited by J-ALL-DAY

23 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Which is short sided on their part. Whatever they received with the Browns package isn't better than the package I proposed. And okay even if they wanted two #1's, I'd still have traded that pick for OBJ and a 3rd rounder. 

Like I said last time:

OBJ+best edge defender in the 2nd>>Bosa+best WR in the 2nd. Simply put, that's what it comes down for me. 

It really depends on how they grade the draft this year versus next year and what not.

For me Bosa+best receiver would be more valuable than the other way because i really don't believe having an elite receiver is worth it. I think when you have a guy like Shanahan as your OC especially having a true big time no. 1 is even more overrated. A true #1 is great to have no doubt but i prefer to have a stable of guys getting 700/800 yards over one guy getting 1500 and the rest 500 because when that one guy goes down your whole offense falls apart. Scheming, looking for certain match-ups and using guys in ways that maximize their skill is way more valuable in my eyes. 

• Like 2

Just now, Justone2 said:

It really depends on how they grade the draft this year versus next year and what not.

For me Bosa+best receiver would be more valuable than the other way because i really don't believe having an elite receiver is worth it. I think when you have a guy like Shanahan as your OC especially having a true big time no. 1 is even more overrated. A true #1 is great to have no doubt but i prefer to have a stable of guys getting 700/800 yards over one guy getting 1500 and the rest 500 because when that one guy goes down your whole offense falls apart. Scheming, looking for certain match-ups and using guys in ways that maximize their skill is way more valuable in my eyes. 

We just have a totally different outlook on what it takes to be a top level team. I personally just believe with how much harder it becomes for defenses with the rules changes, that the best and easiest way to get to the top is having an elite offense. As I've mentioned more than a few times here, wasn't by coincidence that the final four teams in the playoffs were all top 5 offenses with the best defense of the bunch being NO, which was ranked like 11th. Obviously NE's defense stepped up in the playoffs, but they had a very strong secondary. Having Bosa is going to be really good for our defense, but I don't see him as an Myles Garrett level prospect or Khalil Mack level prospect. He's not a game changer to me. Just a very good player who will make some Pro Bowl trips and has little chance of becoming a bust. 

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We just have a totally different outlook on what it takes to be a top level team. I personally just believe with how much harder it becomes for defenses with the rules changes, that the best and easiest way to get to the top is having an elite offense. As I've mentioned more than a few times here, wasn't by coincidence that the final four teams in the playoffs were all top 5 offenses with the best defense of the bunch being NO, which was ranked like 11th. Obviously NE's defense stepped up in the playoffs, but they had a very strong secondary. Having Bosa is going to be really good for our defense, but I don't see him as an Myles Garrett level prospect or Khalil Mack level prospect. He's not a game changer to me. Just a very good player who will make some Pro Bowl trips and has little chance of becoming a bust. 

Accurate.