Around the NFL II - Even NFLier

y2lamanaki

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

We just have a totally different outlook on what it takes to be a top level team. I personally just believe with how much harder it becomes for defenses with the rules changes, that the best and easiest way to get to the top is having an elite offense. As I've mentioned more than a few times here, wasn't by coincidence that the final four teams in the playoffs were all top 5 offenses with the best defense of the bunch being NO, which was ranked like 11th. Obviously NE's defense stepped up in the playoffs, but they had a very strong secondary. Having Bosa is going to be really good for our defense, but I don't see him as an Myles Garrett level prospect or Khalil Mack level prospect. He's not a game changer to me. Just a very good player who will make some Pro Bowl trips and has little chance of becoming a bust. 

I think the main difference is that i don't think you don't need an elite receiver to be an elite offense. What in my eyes makes those offenses top 5 is two/three things. A really good offensive mind as HC/OC. A top 10 QB. And third a great ground game(only outlier in that is KC but they have no doubt the most receiving talent of the group). 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

I think the main difference is that i don't think you don't need an elite receiver to be an elite offense. What in my eyes makes those offenses top 5 is two/three things. A really good offensive mind as HC/OC. A top 10 QB. And third a great ground game(only outlier in that is KC but they have no doubt the most receiving talent of the group). 

I would actually swap out a good ground game with a good OL.

If you have a good OL, you can have an ok running back and have a good ground game, and your QB will have time to make plays. 

6 minutes ago, N4L said:

I would actually swap out a good ground game with a good OL.

If you have a good OL, you can have an ok running back and have a good ground game, and your QB will have time to make plays. 

Fair enough.

35 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

I'll tell you what, it sure doesn't hurt having a top WR does it? Michael Thomas and Tyreke Hill were top 5 WRs last year or on that level and their teams were top 5 in offense. You had Rams do it in another way, but they had a dominant OL, dominant run game, and three very good WRs. There isn't one way to get to a top 5 offense. OBJ would have been done wonders for this offense and was the quickest way to get us to elite status.

1 minute ago, y2lamanaki said:

4 receptions, 28 yards, 0 touchdowns. 

One free like given out to anyone who can identify what that stat line is. 

0 receptions, 0 yards, 0 touchdowns 

Another free like for this one. 

Michael Thomas in playoff game vs Rams? 

Kupp in the playoffs vs Saints? 

2 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

4 receptions, 28 yards, 0 touchdowns. 

One free like given out to anyone who can identify what that stat line is. 

0 receptions, 0 yards, 0 touchdowns 

Another free like for this one. 

OBJs playoff stats for a

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We just have a totally different outlook on what it takes to be a top level team. I personally just believe with how much harder it becomes for defenses with the rules changes, that the best and easiest way to get to the top is having an elite offense. As I've mentioned more than a few times here, wasn't by coincidence that the final four teams in the playoffs were all top 5 offenses with the best defense of the bunch being NO, which was ranked like 11th. Obviously NE's defense stepped up in the playoffs, but they had a very strong secondary. Having Bosa is going to be really good for our defense, but I don't see him as an Myles Garrett level prospect or Khalil Mack level prospect. He's not a game changer to me. Just a very good player who will make some Pro Bowl trips and has little chance of becoming a bust. 

Well the rule changes also make it so that having a legitimate #1 WR isn't as necessary as it was, say 10 years ago. WRs in general, have a easier path to getting open, especially in press-man so that argument can work for and against needing truly elite talent. 

I don't think anyone is disputing we need a top tier offense...at least not me. My argument is that having a top 5 WR isn't necessary to having a top tier offense. It would be a nice luxury to have but it isn't a necessity like it was before the rule changes.

5 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

This is correct- OBJ's career playoff statline is 4 receptions, 28 yards, and 0 touchdowns. 

That was the game in lambeu where he flew to Miami and partied on his day off and then subsequently had three drops 

14 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Well the rule changes also make it so that having a legitimate #1 WR isn't as necessary as it was, say 10 years ago. WRs in general, have a easier path to getting open, especially in press-man so that argument can work for and against needing truly elite talent. 

I don't think anyone is disputing we need a top tier offense...at least not me. My argument is that having a top 5 WR isn't necessary to having a top tier offense. It would be a nice luxury to have but it isn't a necessity like it was before the rule changes.

Here is the thing, no one is saying you need a top 5 WR to be a top 5 offense. But OBJ would have helped us get there faster than anyone we will draft in the 2nd round. It also depends on how you view the drop off between him and the available WR in the 2nd round compared to Bosa to the best available edge rusher in the 2nd round. 

I fully get Lynch and the company wanting to keep the pick. That's fine, nothing crazy with the line of thinking that the 2nd pick is super valuable. It's just I would have pulled the trigger there with Ford coming in another trade. If we didn't trade for Ford? Then obviously you keep the pick. 

43 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Here is the thing, no one is saying you need a top 5 WR to be a top 5 offense. But OBJ would have helped us get there faster than anyone we will draft in the 2nd round. It also depends on how you view the drop off between him and the available WR in the 2nd round compared to Bosa to the best available edge rusher in the 2nd round. 

I fully get Lynch and the company wanting to keep the pick. That's fine, nothing crazy with the line of thinking that the 2nd pick is super valuable. It's just I would have pulled the trigger there with Ford coming in another trade. If we didn't trade for Ford? Then obviously you keep the pick. 

Trust me, I understand wanting a guy like OBJ in this offense. I had no problem trading for him as far as his talent is concerned. As someone who pounded the table for OBJ as a prospect, I could see he was just a different kind of talent. I just didn't want to sacrifice the #2 overall pick, plus additional picks for his services. Not for a WR.

5 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Trust me, I understand wanting a guy like OBJ in this offense. I had no problem trading for him as far as his talent is concerned. As someone who pounded the table for OBJ as a prospect, I could see he was just a different kind of talent. I just didn't want to sacrifice the #2 overall pick, plus additional picks for his services. Not for a WR.

Who said it would have been #2 and additional picks? I'm thinking if we gave up the #2 overall pick, we would get a pick in return from the Giants. May have been like a 2020 3rd rounder, but we would have gotten something. The Browns package they gave up doesn't equate to #2 overall. 

• Like 1