Around the NFL II - Even NFLier

y2lamanaki

45 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Raiders should offer #4, #24, #27 and 2020 3rd rounder for Wilson and see what the Seahawks say. Now that will be a complete franchise altering move. 

would you take that deal if you were Seattle? What if they offered Carr in the trade as well? 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

would you take that deal if you were Seattle? What if they offered Carr in the trade as well? 

I'm guessing Seattle wants to have a rookie scaled QB and kind of replicate the formula they had during Wilson's early days there? Would they even want Carr? 

As for would I take that deal if I was Seattle? I mean I would if they truly don't want to pay him MEGA money and don't think they can put together a good enough team around him to win it all. Obviously you want to keep someone like Wilson forever, but if they want to go in another direction, will be hard to beat a deal as good as this one. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm guessing Seattle wants to have a rookie scaled QB and kind of replicate the formula they had during Wilson's early days there? Would they even want Carr? 

As for would I take that deal if I was Seattle? I mean I would if they truly don't want to pay him MEGA money and don't think they can put together a good enough team around him to win it all. Obviously you want to keep someone like Wilson forever, but if they want to go in another direction, will be hard to beat a deal as good as this one. 

For sure. I don't know how I would feel about that trade in total honesty. As you said, you never want to give up that franchise quarterback type player, but that's a pretty big deal overall and that's a lot of cheap rookie salaries with potential major impact. I think I could see the point from either side, particularly if they don't want to give wilson 30 million a year. 

34 minutes ago, Forge said:

For sure. I don't know how I would feel about that trade in total honesty. As you said, you never want to give up that franchise quarterback type player, but that's a pretty big deal overall and that's a lot of cheap rookie salaries with potential major impact. I think I could see the point from either side, particularly if they don't want to give wilson 30 million a year. 

What's the endgame to that strategy though? Keeping finding HOF level quarterbacks in the draft that won't make it to a 3rd contract? Seattle could hit on multiple draft picks, but if one isn't a quarterback it won't matter.

Edited by PapaShogun

Just now, PapaShogun said:

What's the endgame to that strategy though? Keeping finding HOF level quarterbacks in the draft that won't make it to a 3rd contract? 

I think the concept would be that you don't "need" to have quarterback of Wilson's caliber if have a competent quarterback for cheap and can take all the money saved from having a big money quarterback (in some cases 20 million per year) and contribute that money to other areas of the roster. Will it work? I have no idea. The truth is, nobody has ever tried. And obviously it carries the rather large caveat that you have to be able to find competent quarterbacks, which is easier said than done. I wouldn't completely blast a team if they at least gave something like this a shot...but it's a huge, huge gamble. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I think the concept would be that you don't "need" to have quarterback of Wilson's caliber if have a competent quarterback for cheap and can take all the money saved from having a big money quarterback (in some cases 20 million per year) and contribute that money to other areas of the roster. Will it work? I have no idea. The truth is, nobody has ever tried. And obviously it carries the rather large caveat that you have to be able to find competent quarterbacks, which is easier said than done. I wouldn't completely blast a team if they at least gave something like this a shot...but it's a huge, huge gamble. 

I hope Seattle tries it. Even if they hit on multiple picks, I don't think it would matter if one isn't a top 10 quaterback. Those are the guys always in the Super Bowl most of the time. 

9 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I hope Seattle tries it. Even if they hit on multiple picks, I don't think it would matter if one isn't a top 10 quaterback. Those are the guys always in the Super Bowl most of the time. 

There's also data that states teams that have QBs accounting for 13% or more of the cap hardly ever win it all. I don't know, to me you have someone of Wilson's caliber you keep him, pay him and go from there. But the only SB they won and the only times they were TRUE contenders were when he wasn't making big money. Interesting to see what they do here, a lot of smoke coming out that Wilson doesn't want to really be there anymore, though he's not being a big distraction or anything. 

• Like 1

This Russell Wilson story is getting crazy. I know NYG is the spot he wants to end up, but Oakland could work themselves into the discussion if they really wanted too. If they did 4+24+Carr+mid round..I'd be tempted compared to the Giants offer. 

1 minute ago, John232 said:

This Russell Wilson story is getting crazy. I know NYG is the spot he wants to end up, but Oakland could work themselves into the discussion if they really wanted too. If they did 4+24+Carr+mid round..I'd be tempted compared to the Giants offer. 

I still find it so difficult to believe that he'll be anywhere other than Seattle. The teams simply have too much power with the franchise tags, and Wilson has never struck me as the type that will AB his way out of a situation like that. 

40 minutes ago, Forge said:

I still find it so difficult to believe that he'll be anywhere other than Seattle. The teams simply have too much power with the franchise tags, and Wilson has never struck me as the type that will AB his way out of a situation like that. 

Yeah, i'm inclined not to believe it's actually going to happen. But If what he's saying is true about killing negotiations tonight (highly doubtful), then even with all the options Seattle has, their going to be in a really rough spot. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Wilson might not play under the tag though. Even though Seattle owns him for the next two years potentially, might be a better idea to avoid the drama, try to find a trade partner if they can, and get something for him instead of nothing. Trying to make Wilson play there, when he doesn't want to be apart of the organization is just going to be an awkward 2 years even if he decides to play. 

42 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Wilson might not play under the tag though. Even though Seattle owns him for the next two years potentially, might be a better idea to avoid the drama, try to find a trade partner if they can, and get something for him instead of nothing. Trying to make Wilson play there, when he doesn't want to be apart of the organization is just going to be an awkward 2 years even if he decides to play. 

zero chance he sits out

8 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Doesn't matter. He got his deal done. 49ers can continue to bend over, and take it :(

But we won last year, first of many wins that will be happening against them. Probably a bit rose colored in the way I’m looking at things but the Seahawks have I think 4 draft picks, didn’t so much in FA besides lose ET and bring back Wright and Clark and have a now older and banged up Baldwin. Where as we’ll have a healthier squad, QB, RB, WR, an improved pass rush with Ford and hopefully Allen/Bosa/QW and better LB play with Kwon and a further developed Warner. Our secondary could use some improvement as could our IOL but I see our team getting better where as the Seahawks are staying the same, and we split the series 1-1 last year.

• Like 4

The days of being nervous about what Seattle does or doesn't do are long gone. Wilson is A incredible talent but he is still a whole tier behind guys like Rodgers, Brady and Brees. His escapability is still the most effective part of him as a QB and long as the status quo remains, a good defensive team/scheme can make easy work of him.