Around the NFL II - Even NFLier

y2lamanaki

32 minutes ago, N4L said:

The problem with the bolded is that if you have a good offensive coach that chances are they will get poached by another team. Offensive schemes tend to be more complex than defensive schemes, so learning a new offense is harder than learning a new defense.

There are exceptions, but in an offensive driven league, give me an offensive coach who I know is going to stay for a long time. 

The thing to me though is that you shouldn't have to be learning a new offense once your OC leaves if you are happy with what's going on(offcourse a different OC will change some stuff but even when you keep the same guy there should be stuff changing every year to stay ahead). I want the best possible HC and currently some of the best HC's arent offensive guys or guys that have a OC that runs the offense. Most important to me is having a good HC and if thats an offensive guy great but if the top candidate is a Defensive guy or even a ST-guy i want to hire that guy and not say lets go with the guy we aren't sure of but hey he is an offensive guy so we should go with him. This is why to me its really important when hiring who will come with him. I really liked what the Bears did last year for example by having Fangio stay while hiring Nagy because they knew they had one of the best DC's in the league. 

40 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

The thing to me though is that you shouldn't have to be learning a new offense once your OC leaves if you are happy with what's going on(offcourse a different OC will change some stuff but even when you keep the same guy there should be stuff changing every year to stay ahead).

I don't understand the point you are trying to make here. 

You're saying that a new OC wouldn't completely change the verbiage and the entire scheme? That is false, very rare that the offensive system doesn't change when the OC changes. 

Do you not remember 2006-2010? 

A HC has different responsibilities and requires a different skill set. I'm all for hiring the best candidate for the job, hell John harbaugh was a special teams coordinator. All things being equal, give me an offensive coach as a HC for the reasons stated. 

16 hours ago, Justone2 said:

The thing to me though is that you shouldn't have to be learning a new offense once your OC leaves if you are happy with what's going on(offcourse a different OC will change some stuff but even when you keep the same guy there should be stuff changing every year to stay ahead). I want the best possible HC and currently some of the best HC's arent offensive guys or guys that have a OC that runs the offense. Most important to me is having a good HC and if thats an offensive guy great but if the top candidate is a Defensive guy or even a ST-guy i want to hire that guy and not say lets go with the guy we aren't sure of but hey he is an offensive guy so we should go with him. This is why to me its really important when hiring who will come with him. I really liked what the Bears did last year for example by having Fangio stay while hiring Nagy because they knew they had one of the best DC's in the league. 

I see what you saying but IMO, having strong ownership, front office, and a difference maker@QB tends to be the determining factor to sustained success in the current NFL landscape. The teams that are the most consistent on a yearly basis...the Pats, the Steelers, Saints, and the Packers of the world have stayed revelant because they have those three things in place. Some would argue they have great coaching too which I won't disagree with but from my perspective, the front office stability and acumen seems to help augment the various coordinator and personnel changes, year in anr year out, while still remaining relevant. Some years are more better than others obviously but there is a run of playoff appearances and overall winning seasons that is constant with those organizations.

So to me doesn't really matter whether it's a offensive or defensive guy. It's the guys making those hires and their effectiveness that ultimately tells us how successful a team will be. 

Edited by 757-NINER

7 hours ago, N4L said:

I don't understand the point you are trying to make here. 

You're saying that a new OC wouldn't completely change the verbiage and the entire scheme? That is false, very rare that the offensive system doesn't change when the OC changes. 

Do you not remember 2006-2010? 

A HC has different responsibilities and requires a different skill set. I'm all for hiring the best candidate for the job, hell John harbaugh was a special teams coordinator. All things being equal, give me an offensive coach as a HC for the reasons stated. 

What i am saying is if your succesfull you shouldn't change you entire scheme and verbiage and ideally have someone in your staff you can promote from within. Thats why 2006-2010 has nothing to do with it because there was no succes so they where trying to fix it by bringing in different OC's. And sure there will be a difference in terms of play-calling and nuances but the base shouldn't have many changes. For example the Falcons when we hired Shanahan away made the misstake of not going with a guy like LaFleur who they had on staff and worked in the Shanahan offense for most of his career but going with Sarkisian who comes from a different background.

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Pryor was cut by the Jets. We should make some calls, he gives us length on the outside we simply don't have. 

If only he were any good. 

Also, given that we could have had him twice now, and passed both times, I have to believe that he's just not on our radar. 

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Pryor was cut by the Jets. We should make some calls, he gives us length on the outside we simply don't have. 

I thought they got rid of him due to being injured? No point in trying to bring in someone who won't be able to play right away, if true.

Apparently, the dolphins want a third round pick for Parker. Man, the trade demands for players is crazy this year it feels like. Why in the world would any team give a third round pick for a guy who's off his rookie deal at the end of the year on a fully guaranteed 9 million dollar option next year, and can't stay on the field? I can't believe someone would consider that. A third is basically what I'd be offering for Amari Cooper at this point. Knowing the NFL though, someone will probably take that deal. Still, at this point, I'd rather gamble on a third round wide receiver on a cheap 4 year deal may pan out better than Parker would 

The Bills supposedly want a second and third rounder for Shady. Like what? 

JLC says that Gruden will essentially give away Conley if someone will take him, and if there's anyone I think that we should target, that would be the guy in my opinion. I don't know about giving him away, I think that's probably a bit hyperbolic, but I don't doubt that he's being shopped. 

I remember I wanted Parker when he was coming out. Also wanted Doctson. Both have been huge disappointments so far. But Kevin White has been the biggest letdown in recent memory. I thought he was going to be a beast. All he's done is get hurt. Now he's healthy, and it seems like it's been phased out of the offense. He hasn't even seen a pass thrown his way yet. He's just been used for blocking. Former 7th overall pick. There is a recent tidbit written yesterday about his role with the Bears this year. Just have to scroll down to view it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-sunday-storylines-tom-brady-kevin-white-20181019-story.html

Anyway, he's only under contract for 11 more games. I think he's time with the Bears is already over. He'll probably get another chance though somewhere. 

Edited by PapaShogun

Denver apparently shopping DT, getting offers for Sanders. Sanders was a guy I thought would fit in great here and would have loved to have taken a stab on him before the draft this year. DT has some nice height and length, but there's no way in the world I would want him around next year at his cap hit.