Around the NFL II - Even NFLier

y2lamanaki

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Wow!!!! But so happy for Watson!!!! Poor guy was going to end up going the Luck route at this pace. 

Good deal for both.  How do you say no if you're the Dolphins? youre rebuilding and getting two first and a second is a haul. 

3 hours ago, John232 said:

I think the lack of assets going back to the Texans is in large part because of his contract (or assumed contract) is going to be closer to Mack Donald than that of Dee Ford..Clowney is going to get paid a lot..not sure he's worth it.

but still an incredible trade for the toots. 

The contract isn't why this trade makes sense. The texans would have gotten a 3rd round comp for just removing the tag and letting clowney sign elsewhere. The fact the Seahawks can let him walk next year and get a comp pick equal to the pick they traded makes this a steal. 

5 minutes ago, John232 said:

Good deal for both.  How do you say no if you're the Dolphins? youre rebuilding and getting two first and a second is a haul. 

For sure, Texans probably ended up having to throw in additional pick because Clowney wouldn't agree to go to Miami.

6 minutes ago, N4L said:

The contract isn't why this trade makes sense. The texans would have gotten a 3rd round comp for just removing the tag and letting clowney sign elsewhere. The fact the Seahawks can let him walk next year and get a comp pick equal to the pick they traded makes this a steal. 

I understand why it's a steal. I got the whole comp thing, it's a total steal. But I think between the lack of leverage and inability to probably have a contract on the table made it hard for the Texans to get anything else..

Texans goofed hard. 

Clowney could very well end up being a one year rental.  The Seahawks got a 1st and 2nd rounder for Clark and they just replaced him with Clowney.  I read that Clowney is among the league leaders in run stuffs over the past three years, which is exactly what Seattle needed.

This is just masterful GM'ing.

6 minutes ago, showtime said:

Clowney could very well end up being a one year rental.  The Seahawks got a 1st and 2nd rounder for Clark and they just replaced him with Clowney.  I read that Clowney is among the league leaders in run stuffs over the past three years, which is exactly what Seattle needed.

This is just masterful GM'ing.

It's a great deal for you guys all around. Even if you guys just have him as a one year rental. This is the type of stuff the Pats do.  As @N4L said, the draft pick will basically cancel out with the comp pick if he walks. The players going the other way are largely roster fodder. I had heard Mingo was even a potential cut this year before the trade. So you get one year of Clowney, for roster fodder and pushing a pick out for a year. Maybe it doesn't amount to anything this season, but you really have no risk and nothing but reward. Worst case scenario is that you lose out on a mid third round pick and a couple of depth pieces. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's a great deal for you guys all around. Even if you guys just have him as a one year rental. This is the type of stuff the Pats do.  As @N4L said, the draft pick will basically cancel out with the comp pick if he walks. The players going the other way are largely roster fodder. I had heard Mingo was even a potential cut this year before the trade. So you get one year of Clowney, for roster fodder and pushing a pick out for a year. Maybe it doesn't amount to anything this season, but you really have no risk and nothing but reward. Worst case scenario is that you lose out on a mid third round pick and a couple of depth pieces. 

True.  I think everyone in the division is trying to make a push for the Rams.  They'll probably win it again, but everyone in the NFC West is trying to compete and make it as hard as possible.  This is going to be a really exciting season for all four teams in this division.