Around the NFL II - Even NFLier

y2lamanaki

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Thing is, I just don't think we are close enough to push all in with something like that yet

This is where we disagree. I DO think now is the time to go for it. When will the time be to go for it? We have a budding defense that will have a need at CB with Sherman's age and Ramsey is as good as it gets. Why can't this team go heads up with the likes of the Rams, Saints, etc? Getting Ramsey sure will help do that. Could make the defense ELITE, especially with how Spoon is coming on. 

• Like 2

My main issue with Jalren is the cap hit. I don’t think you hesitate to add someone of his talent, regardless of attitude, when they’re available. With that said, we have a lot of room to restructure and free up money and it STILL won’t be enough to fit him into plan financially with out cutting bait on multiple players. Assuming we want to retain Buck, Kittle , etc.

and I don’t  it sends a good messaging forcing a restructuring on recent signings or getting rid of guys given how well they’ve played. I think players would appreciate the team trying to get better but not at the cost of people who have been here.

idk, if the team does make the move, there will be a plan behind it, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they consulted sherm on it. 

Edit: I’m counting on Ramsey wanting 20m+

Edited by John232

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This is where we disagree. I DO think now is the time to go for it. When will the time be to go for it? We have a budding defense that will have a need at CB with Sherman's age and Ramsey is as good as it gets. Why can't this team go heads up with the likes of the Rams, Saints, etc? Getting Ramsey sure will help do that. Could make the defense ELITE, especially with how Spoon is coming on. 

We can against the saints right now 😂😂😂

But no, I wouldn't pick us against a number of teams. I'm not even sure our quarterback is good yet.  I thought we were a potential low end playoff team before the season. Cant really change that yet after two weeks.

I wish the timing were better, tbh. I think I'd be more inclined if I had more information

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

We can against the saints right now 😂😂😂

But no, I wouldn't pick us against a number of teams. I'm not even sure our quarterback is good yet.  I thought we were a potential low end playoff team before the season. Cant really change that yet after two weeks.

I wish the timing were better, tbh. I think I'd be more inclined if I had more information

It's not about picking us against a number of teams. This team should and will be competing for the playoffs RIGHT NOW. Once you get to the stage, you go for it. What are we waiting on? How do you take the next step? This roster even last year should have won at least 7-8 games. Then we added Bosa/Ford/Alexander while getting Jimmy G back. Now we start adding elite talent and try to compete year in and year out. There is no "perfect" time to go for it. 

Agree with J on going for it now. I don't like an attitude of "we're not good enough", as I do think we are; just concerned over team durability.

Similar sentiment as with in concern on where Jalen's head has been, is, and will be. If there's one position where arrogant swagger is more palatable, it's at CB though. So long as he's all mouth, and not a detriment to the team, then great. 

Agree with John that we have to be sure we can pay the other important dudes when that time comes. Saying G'bye to Sherman and a few others can help with such an addition.

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

It's not about picking us against a number of teams. This team should and will be competing for the playoffs RIGHT NOW. Once you get to the stage, you go for it. What are we waiting on? How do you take the next step? This roster even last year should have won at least 7-8 games. Then we added Bosa/Ford/Alexander while getting Jimmy G back. Now we start adding elite talent and try to compete year in and year out. There is no "perfect" time to go for it. 

There is no perfect time, there are better times. 

Given the money situation, I also wonder if Ramsey doesn't inadvertently shorten the window rather than open it wider

1 minute ago, Forge said:

There is no perfect time, there are better times. 

Given the money situation, I also wonder if Ramsey doesn't inadvertently shorten the window rather than open it wider

That's fair, but I don't think he prevents us from signing Buckner/Kittle. And then Spoon can get his deal in two years as well. After that, there's really no one up that we absolutely can't lose. Of course then you get to the stage where you have to pay Warner/McGlinchey etc, but that's down the line and normal for every team. 

5 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Agree with J on going for it now. I don't like an attitude of "we're not good enough", as I do think we are; just concerned over team durability.

Thinking too highly of a team and making decisions like that can be just as detrimental. Just a difference of opinion on where the team stands. I thought we were a 7-9 win team to start the season. Ramsey does not suddenly make that team s super bowl contender in my opinion. I could be wrong about that team evaluation to start, but I'm not changing that opinion after two games.  If you're higher on the team, it makes more sense to be interested in a win now move. Y2 , for example, was higher on the team, and is more intrigued by Ramsey's addition than I am. Makes perfect sense

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That's fair, but I don't think he prevents us from signing Buckner/Kittle. And then Spoon can get his deal in two years as well. After that, there's really no one up that we absolutely can't lose. Of course then you get to the stage where you have to pay Warner/McGlinchey etc, but that's down the line and normal for every team. 

I won't hate the move if we make it. Remember that I did advocate for this move prior to the draft. In this situation I have reservations is all. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I could be wrong about that team evaluation to start, but I'm not changing that opinion after two games.  If you're higher on the team, it makes more sense to be interested in a win now move. Y2 , for example, was higher on the team, and is more intrigued by Ramsey's addition than I am. Makes perfect sense

Oh, absolutely.. and was instantly why I read your first thoughts on adding him, and knew why you were against it. 

I would then ask you to list the NFC teams that you feel we can not be better than or beat in the postseason... which happens to be a long ways away.. which means some teams get better and some worse by December.

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I won't hate the move if we make it. Remember that I did advocate for this move prior to the draft. In this situation I have reservations is all. 

For sure, but how often does THIS type of an elite talent become available? We could be drafting a CB in the first round the next 10 years and never get someone of this caliber. 

Now, if you do make a move for him, you pretty much are punting on the draft. That is something a team like Seattle has been doing for a while...Punting at the top of the draft of course, not entirely punting on the draft.

So our needs at OL and S have to come from the mid rounds or free agency. 

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

For sure, but how often does THIS type of an elite talent become available? We could be drafting a CB in the first round the next 10 years and never get someone of this caliber. 

Now, if you do make a move for him, you pretty much are punting on the draft. That is something a team like Seattle has been doing for a while...Punting at the top of the draft of course, not entirely punting on the draft.

So our needs at OL and S have to come from the mid rounds or free agency

Yuck.