Around the NFL II - Even NFLier

y2lamanaki

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Its weird. Whenever I think of Cooper and his struggles now, I just remember this promo photo that went out before the season where Cooper seariously looked like a 280 pound defensive lineman. I mean, he was huge. Have no idea what's going on with him now. Whether its him, or Gruden trying to shoehorn Carr and Cooper into an offense they aren't made for, or whatever. But I can't help it, I always go back to that freaking picture lol. 

Haha yeah I know exactly the photo you’re talking about. It’s just the NFLs version of winter weight. Man this game is ridiculous; what happened to Minnesota’s defense?

1 hour ago, John232 said:

Man,  I’m so jealous of the Rams.

They had the off-season I wanted.. Marcus Peter's, talib.. they said - we want to WIN, and went for it. Our front office wasn't exactly complacent, but they certainly slow played things. They didn't exactly express confidence in our team by not making moves that would put us over the top. 

They are scary good. Might go undefeated honestly, I don't know who can beat them rn. 

Thinking back... Wade Phillips was someone I wanted Kyle to hire as his DC. Wade was hired before the Superbowl so kyle didn't even really get a chance to make that happen. I wonder if he would have hired Wade if given the chance.. 

Saleh and the rest of the defensive staff seemed like they were pulled from the scrap heap because Kyle was so late in the game. The defense played pretty well at the end of the year, but unless there is dramatic turnaround here I hope we at least look into a switch there 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, N4L said:

They had the off-season I wanted.. Marcus Peter's, talib.. they said - we want to WIN, and went for it. Our front office wasn't exactly complacent, but they certainly slow played things. They didn't exactly express confidence in our team by not making moves that would put us over the top. 

They are scary good. Might go undefeated honestly, I don't know who can beat them rn. 

Thinking back... Wade Phillips was someone I wanted Kyle to hire as his DC. Wade was hired before the Superbowl so kyle didn't even really get a chance to make that happen. I wonder if he would have hired Wade if given the chance.. 

Saleh and the rest of the defensive staff seemed like they were pulled from the scrap heap because Kyle was so late in the game. The defense played pretty well at the end of the year, but unless there is dramatic turnaround here I hope we at least look into a switch there 

Wade Phillips if I remember correctly mentioned he wanted to coach for McVay.

Edited by StevenK

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

Offensively speaking, I completely disagree. Looking at the skill positions,  sans Gurley what do they really have? I'm not taking Woods over Garcon. I'd put Cooks slightly ahead Goodwin but they're pretty much a wash in my eyes. Kittle is better than Higbee. Kupp is a good slot/3rd WR but everyone would have taken Taylor over him before the season started. Gurley is really what makes their offense so hard to defend but even when he's quiet like tonight, their offense is still efficient and dangerous. It's like they're prepared for whatever defenses throw at them, in any situation. That's excellent coaching more than anything.

You are way off my friend. Any of those three WRs would be our #1 guy, or at least a main contributor. Cooks is light years ahead of what we have at the position. Cooks being 'slightly ahead of goodwin' is just a homer statement tbh 

I agree that gurley is really what puts them over the top as far as overall talent goes.. But don't act like it's just a bunch of average players everywhere else. They have legitimate weapons everywhere except TE, which they don't really seem to care about honestly. Doesn't look like they have even tried to get one. 

McVay is unreal and Goff is flat out slinging the ball, but damn is the Rams OL really good. They are just a well oiled machine. Defense has some vulnerabilities but going to be tough for anyone to beat them. Interested in seeing how the Eagles game goes next week. 

20 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

McVay is unreal and Goff is flat out slinging the ball, but damn is the Rams OL really good. They are just a well oiled machine. Defense has some vulnerabilities but going to be tough for anyone to beat them. Interested in seeing how the Eagles game goes next week. 

I think it's actually eagles Vikings next week 

8 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Rams are just a team that's on the same page. They have talent, chemistry, and discipline. A powerful combination. McVay and his staff might be the best in the NFL right now. The 49ers have a long way to go, just to be in the same universe.

My God McVay and Goff are going to run the NFC West for years to come. Hopefully someone figures them out like they did with the "greatest show on turf" and the "undefeated Patriots."

If was San Fran last night against the Rams with Jimmy, I don't even think they can hang. That's a problem! How can the 49ers combat them in the years to come?? Because just again as San Fran is on the rise another NFC West team comes and just surpasses them by a long shot. 

Goff looked like Montana back there with that number 16 on. Pre-Jimmy thoughts but too bad 49ers couldn't snag him that year and I believe they were his childhood fav team right?

Thoughts on how to compete with them in years to come?

Edited by 49ers2015

On 2018-09-28 at 9:08 AM, 49ers2015 said:

My God McVay and Goff are going to run the NFC West for years to come. Hopefully someone figures them out like they did with the "greatest show on turf" and the "undefeated Patriots."

If was San Fran last night against the Rams with Jimmy, I don't even think they can hang. That's a problem! How can the 49ers combat them in the years to come?? Because just again as San Fran is on the rise another NFC West team comes and just surpasses them by a long shot. 

Goff looked like Montana back there with that number 16 on. Pre-Jimmy thoughts but too bad 49ers couldn't snag him that year and I believe they were his childhood fav team right?

Thoughts on how to compete with them in years to come?

McVay and Goff will run the NFC West until Goff gets a 35m per contract, and Kupp needs an extension, and then they won't be able to afford guys like Suh, Peters and Talib on defense, and they will have to really nail their drafts to sustain their success, and once they have one bad draft and lag behind, and they can't replace pieces as fast as they're losing them, and things unravel like they did in Seattle once Russell got paid and their defense was aging. And seeing how they've traded their 2018 draft for veterans to win now, what will they do in 2020 when Goff gets paid like a big boy? So, as far as "years to come" go, it's pretty much this year and next. After that, it will rely entirely on their drafting.

In the meantime, we need a couple of homeruns in the draft as well. We're not going anywhere if we don't find a stud edge rusher next offseason. We need to be able to stop opposing offenses if our offense is ever going to reach its potential.

• Like 2