Around the NFL II - Even NFLier

y2lamanaki

Finally B.O.B is starting to run a similar offense to what he ran last year with Watson and it is so fun to watch. Not sure what the hell they were doing in the first couple of games. Granted, I'm sure some of it was Watson wasn't fully comfortable using his legs and needed a few weeks to get in a groove. 

13 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Finally B.O.B is starting to run a similar offense to what he ran last year with Watson and it is so fun to watch. Not sure what the hell they were doing in the first couple of games. Granted, I'm sure some of it was Watson wasn't fully comfortable using his legs and needed a few weeks to get in a groove. 

Meanwhile, in Chicago, another strip sack by Mack. 

Gruden is right. Pass rushers are so very hard to find. Once you get a great one, you should absolutely hold on to him. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Meanwhile, in Chicago, another strip sack by Mack. 

Gruden is right. Pass rushers are so very hard to find. Once you get a great one, you should absolutely hold on to him. 

Yep, I was high on the Bears even before Mack and obviously with him that defense goes to another level. Fangio got his Smith brothers type of duo with Mack/Hicks. 

If Trubisky plays even decent this team could make the playoffs. Should be 3-0 right now going on to 4-0.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Trubisky plays that terrible the first three weeks of the season and then does THIS today? Granted, he is playing the terrible Buccaneers defense but still impressive. 

So if Fitzpatrick doesn't get a score here, do they go to Winston? 

My train of thought is, if you were always going to go back to Winston after this week (which I think is likely), then yeah, put him in. This game is a bit out of hand, and it can't hurt to have him try and get some of the rust off now. 

If you were debating your quarterback situation overall, I think it's a poor reaction to playing one of the best defenses in football, if not the best. We made a similar error years ago when Singletary was the coach. We played the chargers, got destroyed (as we were always going to), and Singletary made that knee jerk reaction to go back to Troy Smith. But the Chargers were one of the best defenses in football that year, if not the best. We were always going to get blown out that game. So instead of going with our best option the next week against the rams in a game that was winnable, we went to Troy Smith, who looked terrible, and promptly lost. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Harold Landry with another strip sack, surprise surprise.....Like I said, I would have taken him #9 and not blink. Hate how teams overthink things. 

Wouldn't have taken him at (though I think I would have preferred taking him at 9 rather than trading Brown and picking McG, but I digress...), but I absolutely thought we should have made a big jump up to get him once he fell into the second. We had the firepower to do it. 

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I just don't get why you wouldn't want to take a double digit sack potential edge rusher in the top 10 when that is the 2nd most important position in football. 

If Polite ends up continuing this level of play and we pass on him as well? I'm done.....

Do you mean me personally? Because I spoke to that a lot during the draft - he just wasn't a clean enough prospect for me to warrant a top 10 pick with, particularly given the guys I thought were going to be available at the time and I viewed as safer. Landry has the potential to be a double digit sack guy, but it wasn't likely enough for me. I actually had him graded out right around where he went, ironically enough. Said that a few times during the draft. That being said, I also said that I would be willing to take him in the first with a trade down, and once he fell into the second, I was all over trading up for him given the positional need, upside, etc. 

Polite at this point is just too early. The crazy thing is, he's just a number of guys on the edge who have had great starts to the season. I'm going to be really curious to see how that shakes out come draft time. 

Who are the other edge players with good starts? 

But like it was clear his burst and bend was going to translate to the next level. 

I mean we went McGlinchey and he is arguably the biggest reason our run offense has been so good so there is that. However, we could have just kept Brown and taken Landry at #9. Or we could have taken James/Fitzpatrick the other two guys I wanted at that spot and then traded up for Landry. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Who are the other edge players with good starts? 

But like it was clear his burst and bend was going to translate to the next level. 

I mean we went McGlinchey and he is arguably the biggest reason our run offense has been so good so there is that. However, we could have just kept Brown and taken Landry at #9. Or we could have taken James/Fitzpatrick the other two guys I wanted at that spot and then traded up for Landry. 

This is what I wanted to do. 

Nick Bosa was off to a great start before teh core injury. No big deal, shouldn't affect his stock. 

Montez Sweat got off to a nice start this year. Believe he has 5 sacks already along with 7.5 TFL, and that's following a double digit sack year last year with 15 TFL. So he's been pretty consistent the last two years. 

Ferrell obviously has been fine. 

Burns, as 757 mentioned, already has 5 sacks this year. 

Oshane Ximines has been tearing it up for ODU, but I think he's got some athletic limitations at the next level that will probably keep him out of first round consideration against some of these other edge rushers. 

Josh Allen at UK is an interesting guy. He's having a nice start to the season, but I don't view him as a pure edge rusher at the next level. I'm wondering if he doesn't go the Anthony Barr route. But he's already got 6 sacks this year as well. Probably would have been taken in the seccond round last year if he had declared, so he's got history. 

Then there's Joe Jackson at the U. I'm not s ahuge fan - I think his production is far inferior to what it should be given his gifts, but some people love him. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Harold Landry with another strip sack, surprise surprise.....Like I said, I would have taken him #9 and not blink. Hate how teams overthink things. 

I also would have taken him at 9. I saw a lot more to love than hate about his game. I mostly just gave others the benefit of the doubt. When the majority says Landry shouldn't be picked at 9, you go looking for reasons why he shouldn't. But honestly, I would have been fine with him there. Good for him if he's playing well. I'm not unhappy with McGlinchey so far. Hopefully we can get an even better pass rusher than Landry next offseason. If we do, we'll be able to revisit the not drafting Landry and see it as a blessing in disguise.

• Like 1