Around the NFL II - Even NFLier

y2lamanaki

9 hours ago, N4L said:

Yeah, I called it as well. It makes sense considering a big chunk of his compensation was a large signing bonus, that his new team would not have paid, meaning they would be more likely to rework his deal than the Steelers would have been.

Thats part of the problem with huge signing bonuses. Psychologically, getting paid 11m for brown doesn't feel the same as his aav figure does for the Steelers.

We just cleared 9 million in cap space today. We have 74 million dollars to spend this off-season. I could not think of a better way to spend it than on Antonio brown. 

Giving him 22 million dollars (double his base salary) would still mean we have 52 million dollars to spend lol 

If anything, his high contact demands will only further lower the market rate to acquire his services and create a 'barrier of entry'. This simultaneously makes the Steelers less likely to trade him and the niners to be one of the destinations he gets traded to (if they do trade him, which I think they won't have a choice) 

Personally, I'd rather pay him more money and give the Steelers a lower draft pick. We cleared out some bad contacts today, the guys we signed last year (richburg, McKinnon) can be cut next off-season for similar cap savings. 

As long as we have paraag, I am not going to worry about the cap. 

It also feels great knowing we have a good QB who can satisfy an elite WR.

The colts have 100 million dollars in cap space, and brown would be a great on the field fit for them. I don't think they will actively pursue brown simply because of what I know about their HC and GM. With 100 million dollars in cap space and a top flight QB, they can just buy any free agent they want this off-season. 

He is on the north side of 30 and he wants a shiny new contract?! Not just no, but HELL NO! ¬¬

13 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

He is on the north side of 30 and he wants a shiny new contract?! Not just no, but HELL NO! ¬¬

Agree. I'm good with adding the talent that AB is, but with the risk that follows him, no thanks to being locked into that contract for more than a couple of years. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Forge said:

Looks like the Broncos and Marshall are done. Someone to potentially keep in mind to fill the rather gaping holes we have at linebacker. 

Since he was released we wouldn't have to wait until March to sign him if interested, correct?

1 hour ago, StevenK said:

Since he was released we wouldn't have to wait until March to sign him if interested, correct?

Yes sir, I'd be good with bringing him in as our starter next Warner. Will our off ball LBs set the world on fire? Not by any means but they would both be athletic guys capable in coverage and in the run game. Would buy us some years, at least two, to see what we have in Warner as well and allow us to evaluate if LB is spot we need to invest a high draft pick in for a difference maker or just find a guy who compliments Warner's game. He should come cheap with two years of injury plagued seasons and with Smith and probably Lee backing them up we'd have a little depth to speak of. He's 30 and as I mentioned coming off two injury riddled seasons but should be cheaper than some other options out there allowing us to grab an EDGE and FS when FA does start. I wonder if Peters had anything to do with Marshall winding up in Denver after being drafted by Jacksonville.

9 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Yes sir, I'd be good with bringing him in as our starter next Warner. Will our off ball LBs set the world on fire? Not by any means but they would both be athletic guys capable in coverage and in the run game. Would buy us some years, at least two, to see what we have in Warner as well and allow us to evaluate if LB is spot we need to invest a high draft pick in for a difference maker or just find a guy who compliments Warner's game. He should come cheap with two years of injury plagued seasons and with Smith and probably Lee backing them up we'd have a little depth to speak of. He's 30 and as I mentioned coming off two injury riddled seasons but should be cheaper than some other options out there allowing us to grab an EDGE and FS when FA does start. I wonder if Peters had anything to do with Marshall winding up in Denver after being drafted by Jacksonville.

I think if you sign Marshall, you have to put him at MIKE and move Warner over to WILL and have him in coverage more. The problem is, I think that Marshall has started missing more and more tackles along with his slip in coverage. He's certainly trending downward, but like you said, this sort of the stopgap, bandaid solution at this point. 

Don't get me wrong, I want Mosley, Kwon or Hicks but those guys are going to cost you more and may have just as many injury question marks. Marshall would definitely just be a stop gap for a couple years to see how Warner progresses and even if his play has declined somewhat he's easily better than both Smith and Lee who I don't want seeing the field unless they have to. 

On Warner moving to WILL, that's where I actually prefer to see him. He's not great at getting off blocks and his instincts seem unsure at points as you don't see him screaming up to the LOS to stuff a run in the hole. That's not really his game and that's fine, he's more of a run and chase type of LB who can make plays in coverage especially with more experience. Marshall has shown throughout his career he can plug holes and shoot gaps so sticking him at MIKE is where'd I'd prefer to see him. Also let him take over play calling duties so Warner doesn't have to think as much, just react and be athletic.

13 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Don't get me wrong, I want Mosley, Kwon or Hicks but those guys are going to cost you more and may have just as many injury question marks. Marshall would definitely just be a stop gap for a couple years to see how Warner progresses and even if his play has declined somewhat he's easily better than both Smith and Lee who I don't want seeing the field unless they have to. 

On Warner moving to WILL, that's where I actually prefer to see him. He's not great at getting off blocks and his instincts seem unsure at points as you don't see him screaming up to the LOS to stuff a run in the hole. That's not really his game and that's fine, he's more of a run and chase type of LB who can make plays in coverage especially with more experience. Marshall has shown throughout his career he can plug holes and shoot gaps so sticking him at MIKE is where'd I'd prefer to see him. Also let him take over play calling duties so Warner doesn't have to think as much, just react and be athletic.

I would think some of the should we? considerations are also based off of our own expectations for the team.. and like you go into... the evaluations of who is there already.

While it may be premature, I am in the mood to call us 2019 contenders. Added to that, I do not think much of our current LB corps (minus Warner + if they (longshot pipe dream) plug Marsh in as SLB. This makes me less inclined to draft  a day 2 or 3 rookie linebacker with intent to plug him in as a starter this year.

So I'm easily inclined to add a FA linebacker.. or two. I want them already a bit seasoned, and ready to assist us through next January. :) 

On 2/15/2019 at 2:30 PM, oldman9er said:

I would think some of the should we? considerations are also based off of our own expectations for the team.. and like you go into... the evaluations of who is there already.

While it may be premature, I am in the mood to call us 2019 contenders. Added to that, I do not think much of our current LB corps (minus Warner + if they (longshot pipe dream) plug Marsh in as SLB. This makes me less inclined to draft  a day 2 or 3 rookie linebacker with intent to plug him in as a starter this year.

So I'm easily inclined to add a FA linebacker.. or two. I want them already a bit seasoned, and ready to assist us through next January. :) 

Man I really don’t get your love for Marsh.

1 hour ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I mean Marsh ain’t terrible for what he is, a back up/relief edge player who has shown the ability to produce when others around him step up. I do think Marsh could play SAM as well but I’d prefer to use him as a LEO/SAM reserve brought in to give our starters a breather. 

With that said, SAM aren’t on the field all that much anyways so maybe he can start their. But I do think if we had a talented player at SAM as well as LEO our SAM would see the field a lot more and make our defense a lot more versatile and therefor effective in disguising schemes from the offense. 

Edited by Fureys49ers
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Honestly, it's mainly just a lol thing. I liked him as a draft prospect. Completely lost track of him in Seattle. Read some fluffy SF article about how much he liked being a 49er. Just went with it, and hoped for the best. 

In other words, I don't really have the love for him. He's just an interesting dude that I think could be much more useful to our scheme as a SAM.

He rushes the arc with good burst, and has some nasty to him, but will forever lack the power to work his way back inside as a threat against OTs. This is, imo, why he can't play the way we needed out at LEO. Now, at SAM.. he can at times run that wider arc against less suspecting blockers.. but his role isn't dependent on him being an animal pass rusher time and again against LTs. He showed me enough ability to cover the second level, and fight through blocks to seal the edge when he's focused on that. Having that 5 tech at his side will help him greatly with this. 

So, I'm not saying hand him a sparkling new contract and a hug. I'm saying his one year, 4.2 mil cap hit is not a big deal for us.. we have a need at LB.. and we might as well give him some work there through September and see where it goes. Probably won't happen.. and I won't shed a tear regardless. 

• Like 1