Le'Veon Bell Holdout: Reporting to Steelers (Page 10)

RaidersAreOne

Just now, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Aren't they likely to get a comp pick when he walks?

They can only get an end of 3rd comp pick, if he's one of the top 5-6 paid contracts / Pro Bowl level player (as contracts and offseason awards/playing time is what they use for the formula).  And it's a 2020 end-of-third, so you take 1 round off for waiting 1 year. 

So a 2020 4th is similar or better than an end-of-3rd 2019 pick.   And if Bell isn't a top 5 contract and misses a Pro Bowl...then it's even later. 

25 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I do presume the team would be doing the handshake deal (with nothing in writing, can't be) before they agree to the price for the trade. 

I wouldn't.  Yes, that's cynical, but it's cynicism based in reality.

21 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

They can only get an end of 3rd comp pick, if he's one of the top 5-6 paid contracts / Pro Bowl level player (as contracts and offseason awards/playing time is what they use for the formula).  And it's a 2020 end-of-third, so you take 1 round off for waiting 1 year. 

So a 2020 4th is similar or better than an end-of-3rd 2019 pick.   And if Bell isn't a top 5 contract and misses a Pro Bowl...then it's even later. 

Plus they'd have to not sign requisite free agents in the same year they lose him (typically not a major issue for Pittsburgh because they tend to focus more on re-signing their own, but you never know...) that might unbalance the formula, otherwise it's all for naught.

39 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

If this is true and he's back, do the Steelers even play him? Just how much love was really lost between him and his OL? I mean, rarely can I think of situations where a team intentionally did NOT play their best player at a position for a prolonged stretch, but the Steelers do have their "Steelers way" kind of thing going and this has been a pretty unique situation, not to mention we're not talking QB here and Conner isn't a bad player.

Wouldn't that be giving him what he wants? Get his checks and not have to play (take the beating).

7 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Plus they'd have to not sign requisite free agents in the same year they lose him (typically not a major issue for Pittsburgh because they tend to focus more on re-signing their own, but you never know...) that might unbalance the formula, otherwise it's all for naught.

Yeah doubtful they sign big name FA guys, but they lose all flexibility when they try to get a comp pick for Bell.   I mean, if it's a 2019 4th round pick or a 2020 comp pick (which again might not even be an end-of-3rd), always safer to take the bird in the hand.

4 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

Wonder if he is waiting because he doesn’t want Burfict to destroy him 

I thought they were friends according to burfict.  Burfict can't take anymore chances or he'll get kicked out for good.  I wouldn't doubt it if bell changes his mind,  but as usual we will find out later

7 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

I thought they were friends according to burfict.  Burfict can't take anymore chances or he'll get kicked out for good.  I wouldn't doubt it if bell changes his mind,  but as usual we will find out later

It wouldn't be the first time Burfict took a cheapshot on a player, won't be the last.  Having said that, even if Bell comes back in week 7, I do not believe his first start will come immediately after the Bye Week.

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

It wouldn't be the first time Burfict took a cheapshot on a player, won't be the last.  Having said that, even if Bell comes back in week 7, I do not believe his first start will come immediately after the Bye Week.

If the OL blocks the way they have the last few weeks, I am interested in hearing what these people in the media say. The OL has been lousy in run blocking, with pouncey and foster being the ones that need the most blame.

9 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

If the OL blocks the way they have the last few weeks, I am interested in hearing what these people in the media say. The OL has been lousy in run blocking, with pouncey and foster being the ones that need the most blame.

I agree.  Those guys have not done their job very well.  Interesting tidbit, we could essentially release both Gilbert & Pouncey (Foster is going to be a FA) in the offseason and replace them for minimal cost.  In fact it would open  up a good bit of cap space.

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

I agree.  Those guys have not done their job very well.  Interesting tidbit, we could essentially release both Gilbert & Pouncey (Foster is going to be a FA) in the offseason and replace them for minimal cost.  In fact it would open  up a good bit of cap space.

Are there good renters in the draft? I would keep Gilbert , see how he does as the season goes on. Foster shouldn't  be starting now, and pouncey's replacement  should be on the roster after the draft or UFA starts if there is one in UFA. 

sent PM

11 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

Are there good renters in the draft? I would keep Gilbert , see how he does as the season goes on. Foster shouldn't  be starting now, and pouncey's replacement  should be on the roster after the draft or UFA starts if there is one in UFA. 

sent PM

I'm going to guess via FA or the draft you could get something to replace their lackluster performance.

Archived