Le'Veon Bell Holdout: Reporting to Steelers (Page 10)

RaidersAreOne

35 minutes ago, N4L said:

No, I'm fairly certain that the tag is broken down on a per game basis into game checks, so he wouldn't get anything until the Steelers play a game

That can't be right. There's no way that anyone would be practicing and going to meetings for free.

14 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

That can't be right. There's no way that anyone would be practicing and going to meetings for free.

I don't think you understand how NFL contracts are set up. Your base salary is divided into 16 game checks that you receive after every game you are on the roster for. 

The franchise tag is essentially a fully guaranteed base salary. He was set to make 14 million this year, or $875k per game. So every game he is on the roster for, he receives 875k. 

He wouldn't be 'practicing for free' it's just that he would have to go through two weeks of practice for one that one particular game check, but under normal circumstances they practice a full week, play in the game etc for 16 game checks per year .. it's part of the reason some players run into financial problems in the off-season, because unless they have roster bonuses or work out incentives, they don't get paid in the off-season. At no point in time are they 'working for free' 

You don't have to believe me, I'm just telling you how it is 

6 minutes ago, N4L said:

I don't think you understand how NFL contracts are set up. Your base salary is divided into 16 game checks that you receive after every game you are on the roster for. 

The franchise tag is essentially a fully guaranteed base salary. He was set to make 14 million this year, or $875k per game. So every game he is on the roster for, he receives 875k. 

He wouldn't be 'practicing for free' it's just that he would have to go through two weeks of practice for one that one particular game check, but under normal circumstances they practice a full week, play in the game etc for 16 game checks per year .. it's part of the reason some players run into financial problems in the off-season, because unless they have roster bonuses or work out incentives, they don't get paid in the off-season. At no point in time are they 'working for free' 

You don't have to believe me, I'm just telling you how it is 

I must be confusing it with the practice squad

25 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I must be confusing it with the practice squad

Understandable.  Going to practices, treatment, meetings, etc is all apart of playing the game.  The players that play on game day are the ones who were in the meetings, in practice, etc... unless they're injured or unable to attend for whatever reason and it's excused.  There aren't any players in the league who skip meetings, practices, etc and still play every week. 

So for example, Jimmy G is out for the season, so obviously he will not be active in practice, but I'm willing to bet when he's able to he'll be in and around the team facility all day.  Continuing to watch film, attend QB meetings, treatments, team meetings, etc.

4 hours ago, N4L said:

No, I'm fairly certain that the tag is broken down on a per game basis into game checks, so he wouldn't get anything until the Steelers play a game

Players are paid weekly. It's not based on games. They receive 17 checks during the season.

Archived