Dorsey a genius????

Keylargobrownie

17 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

You are still 100% right about him being a moron for taking a backup LG at the top of the 2nd round when they needed not only a LT but also on Harold Landry.

Yeah, if I were drafting for the Browns we would have Harold Landry and Connor Williams (starting at LG for Dallas and doing pretty well - I thought he could be a potential LT as well as LG and then we would play whoever is better between Bitonio and Williams at LT). I would have also picked up Desmond Harrison as a 7th rounder such that our O-line would probably be

LT - Desmond Harrison

LG - Connor Williams/Joel Bitonio

C - J.C. Tretter

RG - Kevin Zeitler

RT - Joel Bitonio/Chris Hubbard

We would also have Bradley Chubb such that we would have a ton of pass rushers.

18 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

You are still 100% right about him being a moron for taking a backup LG at the top of the 2nd round when they needed not only a LT but also on Harold Landry.

Yeah Harold Landry and his whopping 0 sacks. He would’ve been a worse pick than Corbett.

there aren’t many players I would’ve rather had than Corbett. It’s a tossup between like 4 players.

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Ideally he should be beating out the UDFA. I get the circumstances, but it’s still disappointing in some respects to see a top 35 pick sit while an UDFA plays.

I’m not arguing we don’t need depth, I’m arguing you don’t draft interior OL reserves at 33.

At that spot, at that position, the player should be plug and play and probably pretty damned good.

My argument is that he is plug and play. We just have a weird set of circumstances going on right now.

i had Harrison as a top 15 player without the off field concerns and going to us in round 3. We got him undrafted. We essentially got a 1st round OT for free.

he came in while Corbett was starting at G and they realized what they had so they moved bitonio back to the only real spot he should play. 

So I guess what I’m saying was it was more “wow Harrison could be our future LT!” Than “wow Corbett’s not as good as we thought...”

18 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

He had no idea at the time he was going to get potentially a stud starting LT as an UDFA. If it wasn’t for Harrison. Corb would be the starting LG and Bit would be the starting LT. 

Again if we look at everything in this draft/rookie class. Dorsey found the future QB, future sCorner, future pass rusher, future LT, future WR, future RB(if Chubb can improve his blitz pick up) 

this rookie class could go down as the best rookie class in browns history. Potentially have a franchise QB, Corner, and LT. Some teams pray to get one of those in a class and the browns might get all three. 

Could question things at the time but looking at the big picture. WOW. 

Now if Mayfield Ward Chubb Corb Calloway Avery Harrison are all major contributors to say a title ( I know it’s a crazy thought, this could be the single great rookie class for a team ever

14 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

My argument is that he is plug and play. We just have a weird set of circumstances going on right now.

i had Harrison as a top 15 player without the off field concerns and going to us in round 3. We got him undrafted. We essentially got a 1st round OT for free.

he came in while Corbett was starting at G and they realized what they had so they moved bitonio back to the only real spot he should play. 

So I guess what I’m saying was it was more “wow Harrison could be our future LT!” Than “wow Corbett’s not as good as we thought...”

That’s fair if he is that good.

Hopefully we never have to find out and our OL stays healthy, but it’s a long season.

16 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Chad Thomas resembles that. 

Chad Thomas was just a reach at trying to find their staple of athletic interior linemen. It was a mid-round pick which is where those flyers can be taken at. It worked with Kirksey and Schobert. Problem is Im not a fan of that strategy with a extremely high 2nd rounder who a 0-16 team should be getting a plug and play starter at.

Again, the circumstances are weird with Harrison and they nailed many other picks so you cant win them all--but I personally feel that Austin Corbett was a head scratcher at the time and I still think so after 3 weeks into the season. I dont like taking that big of a gamble that high in the draft for a guy who we maybe, sort of, kinda, hopfully could be a good Center in the future without a real plan for him with his position.

You take a guy like Austin Corbett in the 3rd or 4th rounds. Not with the first pick in the 2nd round when your team (at the time) was so deprived of sure fire day 1 starters and/or difference makers.

6 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Chad Thomas was just a reach at trying to find their staple of athletic interior linemen. It was a mid-round pick which is where those flyers can be taken at. It worked with Kirksey and Schobert. Problem is Im not a fan of that strategy witch a extremely high 2nd rounder who a 0-16 team should be getting a plug and play starter at.

Again, the circumstances are weird with Harrison and they nailed many other picks so you cant win them all--but I personally feel that Austin Corbett was a head scratcher at the time and I still think so after 3 weeks into the season. I dont like taking that big of a gamble that high in the draft for a guy who we maybe, sort of, kinda, hopfully could be a good Center in the future without a real plan for him with his position.

Look at the second round. There weren't really any players that clearly should've been taken over Corbett. Connor Williams and will Hernandez were the only players i would have switched Corbett for. I liked a couple of the WR, CB and Dallas Goedert but we didn't really need any at the time, especially after drafting Ward. 

1 minute ago, pnies20 said:

Look at the second round. There weren't really any players that clearly should've been taken over Corbett. Connor Williams and will Hernandez were the only players i would have switched Corbett for. I liked a couple of the WR, CB and Dallas Goedert but we didn't really need any at the time, especially after drafting Ward. 

Courtland Sutton says hi.

7 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Courtland Sutton says hi.

If we were going to draft skill position at 33, it would've been

1. Goedert - Should've given up on the oft injured Devalve. Goedert is the "plug and play" TE you guys want

2. Kirk - Probably start as a #3 but super fast and productive 

3. Guice - Good RB, but rumored to have had terrible combine interviews with the Browns. Knew we wouldn't be picking him.

OL

1. Connor Williams - plays G and T

2. Will Hernandez - had him pegged as G only but a road grader with a mean streak.

3. Corbett - can play all 5 positions. Plug and play at G only. 

Corbett holds his own against all these picks and will show his value at some point soon.

3 hours ago, buno67 said:

Calloway looks better than him so far

Agreed. Loved the Callaway pick. Now, we did have JG at the time, but I'd like to have a big WR on this squad, def something to look into next offseason. The only guy that I would have liked far and away ahead of Corbett would have been Landry. Maybe that's why we took Chad Thomas? But he's still got a great deal to prove.

5 hours ago, pnies20 said:

If we were going to draft skill position at 33, it would've been

1. Goedert - Should've given up on the oft injured Devalve. Goedert is the "plug and play" TE you guys want

2. Kirk - Probably start as a #3 but super fast and productive 

3. Guice - Good RB, but rumored to have had terrible combine interviews with the Browns. Knew we wouldn't be picking him.

OL

1. Connor Williams - plays G and T

2. Will Hernandez - had him pegged as G only but a road grader with a mean streak.

3. Corbett - can play all 5 positions. Plug and play at G only. 

Corbett holds his own against all these picks and will show his value at some point soon.

I really liked Hernandez.. In a perfect world he would have been the pick at LG and the coaches should have given Bitonio a full offseason to prep a move to LT. Unfortunalty they went with a take a player now and figure it all out later approach with Corbett and it ended up being a bit of a mess. Especially in preseason.

Though hindsight is 20/20. For instance if we would have knew about Josh sooner and that fiasco, Sutton would have very much been in play because having Sutton/Callaway/Landry/Njoku for Baker to throw to for the next 4+ years would have been something. Not that Im dissapointed in Higgins at all.

Not that I hate him as a player, I just personally think since he is was more of a projection with his 'all around' ability with no definite position that there could have been other guys who could have contributed right away. We shall see if his redshirt year pays off

Archived