Bill O'Brien Hot Seat Thread - 2020 edition - GM/HC/OC/DC and Luxury Box sales

Texansfan713

On 1/14/2020 at 6:23 PM, dll2000 said:

I guess you can say he isn't predictable.    

Yeah he is, run it on first everytime, 3rd and 15th? Screen pass. Need 3 points before half time and youre on the 40? Kneel it when 40 seconds left on the clock and two timeouts with the most clutch QB in franchise history.

Edited by Drained

16 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

We fired our OLB coach. BOB said that Crennel is coming back unless he decides to retire. Anthony Weaver would replace him if he retires. 

Our linebackers weren't even bad this season, stuffed the run well. We need to look at why our d-line with GOOD PLAYERS BTW isn't able to get any pass rush going.

Romeo is contemplating retirement, he was probably traumatized by that loss, I don't blame him. He should retire, it's the biggest statement possible to tell him he's behind the times.

Also with Weaver, it's better than Crennel, Weaver was a recent player but I'd still prefer someone with more success like... idk, bringing Wade Philips back? I didn't mind him back then and he's done great things with the Broncos and Rams. McVay used him as the fall guy but their loss would be our gain.

Edited by Drained

Did you guys see that stat that we're the only team in the AFCS that hasn't made the AFCCG?

That's totes awesome.

Also - Chris Olson was fired yesterday. That means either BoB is getting more FO power, Jack Easterby is getting more power, or Nick Caserio is coming to town.

I have a feeling that when BoB is done, not only are we going to have issues with a lack of draft picks, we'll also be in cap hell with several bloated contracts on the books that we're not able to move. I also wouldn't be surprised if with Tunsil or Watson is allowed to test free agency... which would be a disaster for us.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Did you guys see that stat that we're the only team in the AFCS that hasn't made the AFCCG?

That's totes awesome.

Also - Chris Olson was fired yesterday. That means either BoB is getting more FO power, Jack Easterby is getting more power, or Nick Caserio is coming to town.

I have a feeling that when BoB is done, not only are we going to have issues with a lack of draft picks, we'll also be in cap hell with several bloated contracts on the books that we're not able to move. I also wouldn't be surprised if with Tunsil or Watson is allowed to test free agency... which would be a disaster for us.

Watson isn’t testing free agency, BOB knows he can’t survive losing watston. 

Tunsil could possibly, but I’d give it a 1.25% chance after what we paid for him. 

reader probably gets the franchise tag this season

watson is still under contract 2 more years with 2 franchise tags after that, so he’s here 4 more years regardless of what he wants to do. 

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

That's totes awesome.

Caserio has a talent for finding gems in the later rounds and in FA. If we're gonna trade away our future, I'd be beyond happy that he's the one coming in to help us. We've got some serious issues for our future.

Also the fact that Easterby is still here despite getting involved in that tampering scandal, tells me that Caserio is still the long-term plan, especially now they fired Olson, who's role Caserio could consolidate into GM.

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Watson isn’t testing free agency, BOB knows he can’t survive losing watston. 

I don't disagree, but I could see some gross financial mismanagement between now and then that would make signing Watson tougher than it should be.

reader probably gets the franchise tag this season

What drives me nuts is that you could have booked Reader to a multi year deal and actually tagged Whitney Mercilius - aging player with inconsistent production vs young steady performer who has a low ceiling but high floor. Tag for LB is less than the tag for DL, so it would have saved a good amount, too.

But, thems be the breaks with BoB.

watson is still under contract 2 more years with 2 franchise tags after that, so he’s here 4 more years regardless of what he wants to do. 

Assuming we'll have the cap to tag Watson. You've got to figure that Mahomes and Jackson are going set the bar at close to $45mm AAV a season when they get their mega-deals, which will hike up that tag to roughly $40mm. I'm hoping that we'll have the room, but when you're paying guys like Mercilius and McKinney a good chunk of money, you're testing fate.

1 hour ago, Drained said:

Caserio has a talent for finding gems in the later rounds and in FA. If we're gonna trade away our future, I'd be beyond happy that he's the one coming in to help us. We've got some serious issues for our future.

I'm willing to let it play out, but how much of that is Caserio and how much of that is Belicheck? I hope it's Caserio, but... We won't really know until we're pot committed.

1 hour ago, Drained said:

Also the fact that Easterby is still here despite getting involved in that tampering scandal, tells me that Caserio is still the long-term plan, especially now they fired Olson, who's role Caserio could consolidate into GM.

The minute the team said they're not bringing in a GM, I felt as if this was the case. IMO, it's the reason ownership is so complacent with the status quo; Easterby really sold an image of BoB, Caserio and Easterby as a trio that will identify talent, build a "do your job" culture and create an identity that is equal to New England. If this could be done, I would be good with it - but I put the odds of creating New England without Brady and Belicheck at less than .0001%.