Bill O'Brien Hot Seat Thread - 2020 edition - GM/HC/OC/DC and Luxury Box sales

Texansfan713

4 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Let’s be 100% real. The situation is imploding.  Is there any way we would move on from BOB now as opposed to after this season? It would be unprecedented to give our HC the GM role too and then fire him quickly. I suspect he’s got this season and probably 1 more before his job is even looked at. 

I think moving on - despite it being the right move - is conceding defeat. Bringing in an entirely new staff, GM and philosophy a few weeks before the draft would all but scuttle this year as a lost cause.

I think the hope is that Watson is good enough on his own to end up with a winning season, which will get casual fans to forget the trade - which is where a good amount of money comes from. 

The implosion needs to happen faster, and more severe - and that starts with Watson or Watt. 

1 hour ago, jch1911 said:

If you saw the stuff Matt Patricia allegedly said to Darius Slay, I am beginning to think there might be a problem with the Belichick "tree" of coaches

This is what happens when a bunch of cheap impersonators get hired to do their impression of the master.

Belichick is a coaching god that also had a QB fall in his lap that was not only very skilled and extremely driven to win, but was also willing to take undermarket deals that allowed BB to keep other important players (mostly on defense). Fortunately for Brady, he had a talent for getting the most out of mediocre receivers, because that wasn't what BB was using the extra cash on.

That isn't something you can re-create. The odds of finding another Tom Brady-like QB are incredibly low, and the vast majority of BB's underlings have shown what mouth-breathers they really are once they were out on their own.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jch1911 said:

If you saw the stuff Matt Patricia allegedly said to Darius Slay, I am beginning to think there might be a problem with the Belichick "tree" of coaches

BB's tree has always been overrated.  You cant name not 1 good HC that has come from there.  

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

He won't. And even if he did it wouldn't

We might have a top 5 offensive line and a QB who can beat you deep with guys like fuller and stills on the outside. It could open up the run game quite a bit. 

let me clarify my “justify” comment. I mean justify to our owner that BOB can stay. 

12 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I’m scared that Johnson is gonna lead the league in rushing this season and it’s gonna justify the trade. 

Johnson will start off well ...but WILL get injured. His body is rapidly falling apart well before last season. 

That's part of the frustration of this deal. Hopkins was a rock, physically. DJ is incredibly fragile.

13 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I’m scared that Johnson is gonna lead the league in rushing this season and it’s gonna justify the trade. 

You think Duke will get enough touches to accomplish that once David goes down?

Edited by HoboRocket
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here is something interesting to note, I am convinced that BOB has been given full control and a 2 year window

if you look at our contracts, and our current roster for 2022:

Every player on our books can be cut in 2022 for a massive savings, including Tunsil, who has a cap hit of 21.2 million and just 6.5 million in dead money.

we really are only locked into our current roster for 2 seasons, at which point we can reevaluate things. I am assuming that Wastson will be eventually locked up beyond that time line. 

I am also wondering why we haven't done something about JJ Watts deal. Hes on the books for 15.5 million this year and 17. 5 million next year with no dead money. Seems like the time to work out some kind of deal that saves us money and provides him with guarantees. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Here is something interesting to note, I am convinced that BOB has been given full control and a 2 year window

if you look at our contracts, and our current roster for 2022:

Every player on our books can be cut in 2022 for a massive savings, including Tunsil, who has a cap hit of 21.2 million and just 6.5 million in dead money.

we really are only locked into our current roster for 2 seasons, at which point we can reevaluate things. I am assuming that Wastson will be eventually locked up beyond that time line. 

I am also wondering why we haven't done something about JJ Watts deal. Hes on the books for 15.5 million this year and 17. 5 million next year with no dead money. Seems like the time to work out some kind of deal that saves us money and provides him with guarantees. 

I peeped that in spotrac when you look at multi-year spread

On 20/03/2020 at 1:42 PM, Texans02 said:

This is what happens when a bunch of cheap impersonators get hired to do their impression of the master.

Belichick is a coaching god that also had a QB fall in his lap that was not only very skilled and extremely driven to win, but was also willing to take undermarket deals that allowed BB to keep other important players (mostly on defense). Fortunately for Brady, he had a talent for getting the most out of mediocre receivers, because that wasn't what BB was using the extra cash on.

That isn't something you can re-create. The odds of finding another Tom Brady-like QB are incredibly low, and the vast majority of BB's underlings have shown what mouth-breathers they really are once they were out on their own.

In BoB's case, he was showing what a mouth breather he was even on the team. To completely chew Brady out like he did on the sidelines was just....weird to watch. 

• Like 2