Bill O'Brien Hot Seat Thread - 2020 edition - GM/HC/OC/DC and Luxury Box sales

Texansfan713

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

BOB actually said that even though we lost Miller we have decent depth at RB....

And - with the Andrew Luck retirement news coming out of left field - he just got gifted an easy opportunity to win another division title.

Only hope we have is that Mike Vrabel gets the Titans over the hump and into the mix. 

I still don’t believe we are going to trade Clowney, despite the reports. We need to load up on D at this point and go win the division. 

Surprise LT play could mean the difference this year for our team. I’m not too concerned about RB. It’s become the most overrated position in football. There are very few irreplaceable RBs in the league as we saw with the Steelers last year. It’s all about the line and the scheme. Really wish we had drafted Williams though. 

The jags and titans could each rebound if they get good QB play but I don’t buy Foles at all and by the time the titans make a switch from Mariota to Tannehill it will be too late. 

Side note - yesterday's Luck retirement needs to be a wake up call to our FO. If they REALLY think Matt Kalil or Julie'n Davenport is a starting quality LT, then they're going to expose Watson to the type of abuse that just made a 29 year old walk away from $58.1mm. 

Andrew Luck is a cautionary tale of not surrounding your QB with an even average OL - you just put them in a position of abuse, and the continued beatings take a physical and mental toll. 

I get it that people may like Travis Entinne or D'Andre Swift, and CB could be another major need - but the Texans need to double up on OL again, barring any late developments for a top tier LT for Clowney. Every single option needs to be on the table, and the team should be ready to overspend if necessary...

If we don't, well see Watson walk away while in his prime, simply because he can't take another collapsed lung, or blown out knee.

15 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Side note - yesterday's Luck retirement needs to be a wake up call to our FO. If they REALLY think Matt Kalil or Julie'n Davenport is a starting quality LT, then they're going to expose Watson to the type of abuse that just made a 29 year old walk away from $58.1mm. 

Andrew Luck is a cautionary tale of not surrounding your QB with an even average OL - you just put them in a position of abuse, and the continued beatings take a physical and mental toll. 

I get it that people may like Travis Entinne or D'Andre Swift, and CB could be another major need - but the Texans need to double up on OL again, barring any late developments for a top tier LT for Clowney. Every single option needs to be on the table, and the team should be ready to overspend if necessary...

If we don't, well see Watson walk away while in his prime, simply because he can't take another collapsed lung, or blown out knee.

This is why if he agrees with the destination, Clowney for Trent Williams is the best avenue for the franchise. We have a franchise LT for a couple seasons of still too production. It sets up the offense side of the ball aside from maybe RT. 

Then lets us use 2019’s 1st on an edge rusher to replace Clowney, and grab a damn good RB in the 2nd. If it holds true, this years RB class could be special. I see around 7 guys go in the top 2-3 rounds that could possibly make an impact in the NFL.

2 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

This is why if he agrees with the destination, Clowney for Trent Williams is the best avenue for the franchise. We have a franchise LT for a couple seasons of still too production. It sets up the offense side of the ball aside from maybe RT. 

I've thought of this, but Washington has zero need for an edge rusher/edge setter like Clowney. Washington invested heavily on their 3-4, and have guys like Jonathan Allen, Montez Sweat, Matt Ioannidis and Ryan Kerrigan - they'd have to get very creative to get maximum benefits from these guys. I mean, Clowney COULD play that interior DE spot that Matt Ioannidis plays, but he's a traditional "space eating" DE, so that's wasting Clowney's ability (and something you don't pay $100mm for either).

Washington isn't giving up a top tier asset for an asset that is redundant on their end. It would be like us trading for another ILB - sure, he's a great ILB, but we already have two great ILBs. 

A Clowney for Williams trade (or Clowney for Melvin Gordon trade) makes no sense for the other team. They're set at edge, with players who might be better than Clowney. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've updated the title on this thread. I'm sure I'll update it for 2020, 2021, etc.

One interesting thing - John McClain was on 610 with Seth Payne and Sean Pendergast this morning. He was actually throwing shade at the organization over the Nick Martin re-sign, said that he was overpaid and he shouldn't even be starting.

For us who have followed Pancakes - he never badmouths whoever the Texans employ. From Capers/Casserly to BOB/BOB, he's never really said anything disparagingly... until today.

That caught my ear. It gives me hope that someone inside the organization sees the forest for the trees and the damage this guy is doing as a GM and HC.

• Like 2