Bill O'Brien Hot Seat Thread - 2020 edition - GM/HC/OC/DC and Luxury Box sales

Texansfan713

2 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Didnt want to bump the old one.   O'Brien has to go.  This guy is clearly not HC material and he was overrated to begin with.  If McNair had any balls he would fire him after today's game.  He is wasting talent on this team. 

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I agree 100%. It's not even questionable at this point, O'Brien IS the problem.

20 minutes ago, Longhorns90 said:

I think the more prescient one is - who do you want to be his successor as head coach of the Houston Texans?

Someone I was watching the game with brought up Scott Frost out of Nebraska. I don't think the Cornhuskers are doing well, but the work he did with UCF was pretty awesome...

I can't say I'd be for this, but I'm not totally against it either.

I'm not sure I want to plumb the college ranks again. If we did, I'd be more comfortable with someone who has NFL experience like Harbaugh.

I'll admit, I don't actually really know the hot candidate names as far as coordinators go. I mean, McDaniels would be literally just pulling from the same well, and I don't think he wants to jump ship at this point, after what happened with Indy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tab said:

How many losses before they decide to fire him mid-season and put in Romeo

After the Cowboys game is when I want it to happen. I'm sure we'll poop the bed in a bad way (on national TV, no less). I can't see how he'd last beyond that.

6 minutes ago, tab said:

Who would we replace him with? Lefleur perhaps? Maybe try to get Bruce Arians out of retirement? Dabo?

I'd actually like a defensive minded guy - Jim Schwartz has done some quality things with that Eagles defense, and he'd have some really good parts to work with here. I think it would be his 2nd HC gig, so he's got some experience to rely on.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tab said:

Two questions:

1. How many losses before they decide to fire him mid-season and put in Romeo

2. Who would we replace him with? Lefleur perhaps? Maybe try to get Bruce Arians out of retirement? Dabo?

LaFleur seems like the next up and coming offensive mind. 

I love the idea of Dabo, but those college coaches coming into the NFL don't do well long term. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, amazingandre said:

I love the idea of Dabo, but those college coaches coming into the NFL don't do well long term. 

I am starting to like the idea of LaFleur and keeping RAC with a few tweaks to defensive coaches (secondary).

Right now... I think the fact that OB1 has not replaced Devlin is a blatant attempt to get himself fired IMHO.

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'd actually like a defensive minded guy - Jim Schwartz has done some quality things with that Eagles defense, and he'd have some really good parts to work with here. I think it would be his 2nd HC gig, so he's got some experience to rely on.

you know I think i would like that. I kind of want an NFC coach too

12 minutes ago, amazingandre said:

Is he though? I think he was really fortunate working with Sean McVay, and that led to this Titans gig. I'll give it time, see how that turns out - but honestly, I'm not overly impressed with what I've seen from that Tennessee offense.

Now - John DiFlippo? I'd listen to that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Someone I was watching the game with brought up Scott Frost out of Nebraska. I don't think the Cornhuskers are doing well, but the work he did with UCF was pretty awesome...

I can't say I'd be for this, but I'm not totally against it either.

pass on frost.  not sure how he will fare in the nfl. to me he relates more to kids.  if we go after a college coach the only one i want is dabo swinney. 

Some of my top choices to keep an eye on to replace OB's incompetent butt. This order is not necessarily the order of what I want,  just a general list of names. 

1. Dabo Swinney. I think we all understand the upside here with his history with Watson. For all the people who praised OB when he was hired as an offensive genius, he wasn't and had no history of being one. Swinney on the other hand does. He is creative and very aggressive. Watson would obviously benefit from having him, but the risk of another college coach with no NFL history is very scary. 

2. John DeFilippo is a guy with a history of being around some impressive offensive guys. He had a brief stint in Cleveland as OC before going to Philly but helped Wentz and the team especially in the red zone. Need to see how he does as OC in Minnesota this season.

3. Matt LeFleur is another guy from an impressive coaching tree. He has been around some of the youngest and brightest OCs in the game. His time in Tennessee this season will tell us a lot about his coaching style and ability.

4. Jim Bob Cooter has an interesting history. He was around the Colts and learned before going to KC and helping their offense lead the league in rushing. Then went to Detroit where he helped Stafford become a top end QB before taking over as OC. His offense has been dangerous through the air but lacked a run game. This season they are working on it, let's see how he does. 

5. Pete Carmichael, the guy has been around New Orleans and that amazing offense for awhile lol. He has to be fairly good.

I am not in favor of a defensive guy at all. The turnover at OC and DC will always be there and getting a legit offensive minded HC to stay and mold Watson is the most important thing right now. Finding an aggressive DC shouldn't be an issue.