Bill O'Brien Hot Seat Thread - 2020 edition - GM/HC/OC/DC and Luxury Box sales

Texansfan713

2 hours ago, amazingandre said:

If we get rocked the next two weeks and are staring at 0-5, he may get canned. Especially if rumors of upset staff and players are true. The videos and photos of Watson getting lit up need to be plastered everywhere. 

I think the Dallas game is the last stand - losing to Dallas on a national stage against the Cowboys will lose this fanbase to the Astros WS run and the Rockets. THAT will impact the bottom line - the only response McNair could have to get bodies back is a termination.

24 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

The last few seasons I have considered him the worst head coach in the NFL. Really hope you guys move on sooner than later, he's just going to ruin Watson's development.

Sadly enough, he's about to win 5 in a row, which will be like ice on the hot seat. It's rinse and repeat in the O'Brien era.

Only plus is that we're not going to have an easy division to beat up on - Tennessee and Jacksonville are about to feed us our shoes.

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

We have a playoff roster. Even with out O-Line struggles. 

Conversely, we have two playoff calibur teams - one which might be one of the top two teams in the AFC in Jacksonville.

Two years ago, Jags on the schedule was guaranteed two wins. That's not going to be the case for the foreseeable future anymore. 

On 9/23/2018 at 8:10 PM, amazingandre said:

I am not in favor of a defensive guy at all

Do you still feel this way after yesterday's total lack of defense? For all of the offensive issues, you can see progress with our passing game with minor tweaks - play action, roll outs, bootlegs, jet sweeps, designed runs for Watson, etc. If designed and planned correctly, you have an O that can hang points up  you also have a primary suspect as to why things fail, and that's a poor OL. Fix that, and the offense is in place to do some good things. More importantly, you get what you pay for with our OL. Mid round draft picks, low level FAs, and things are going to perform at their current level. Seven sacks is expected when you're trotting out guys like Martinas Rankins and Kendall Lamm as your bookends, there no scheme that will cover up that sort of deficiency. 

Defensively? You had both JD and JJ play some inspired football, the duo FINALLY living up to the pedigree envisioned when Clowney was drafted #1 overall - and you still gave up close to 500 yards passing to a broken Andrew Luck, working without TY Hilton and a functioning run game. The defense gave up close to 21 points in 17 minutes - could not stop the Colts under any circumstances, even when the Colts would penalized themselves into a corner. Seriously - THREE holding penalties on a single drive and you STILL give up a TD? Unacceptable!

Unlike the OL, you can't really lay blame at anyone - secondary was a mess, LBs in coverage was a mess, pass rush outside of Watt/Clowney was a mess. All three levels are broken, and we have thrown a ton of money and picks into each spot - our LB unit is essentially nothing but 1/2 round guys, our secondary is made up of big ticket FAs and former 1st rounders who are either ineffective or injured - every single resource available to any franchise has been sunk into this defense, and we STILL can't do anything. 

I'm all for bringing in a very established OC to have full reign over the offense and Watson's development, but I also think the only way to rebuild our team to compete against defensive minded guys like Vrabel and Marrone is to bring in a defensive minded HC to fix the mess that our defense has become. With all of the talent we have on that side of the ball, we should demand a top 5 unit on a yearly basis but we haven't had that since 2016. 

On 9/23/2018 at 4:07 PM, ET80 said:

After the Cowboys game is when I want it to happen. I'm sure we'll poop the bed in a bad way (on national TV, no less). I can't see how he'd last beyond that.

I'd actually like a defensive minded guy - Jim Schwartz has done some quality things with that Eagles defense, and he'd have some really good parts to work with here. I think it would be his 2nd HC gig, so he's got some experience to rely on.

Schwartz rode the talent, which was playing at a super high level. You dont want him. 

Edited by Matts4313

6 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Schwartz rode the talent, which was playing at a super high level. You dont want him. 

I don't want O'Brien, either. I'm willing to take on just about anyone other than O'Brien. Hell, send the Ryan twins here over O'Brien...

42 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Don't want a defensive minded guy.  Much rather an offensive minded guy who has a good track record of developing QB's.

Then what do we do about the defense? We're putting up 20-30 a game, the offense is something that can be managed appropriately with some better talent at OL. If the defense keeps giving up 30 a game (or 28 to Blaine Gabbert) we better hope Watson wins shootouts every week - because that's where we'll be at.

What more does this defense need? Yet another 1st round pick? Yet another high priced FA? We've thrown money at the situation for the last three years, and we're still stuck in neutral. 

Just now, ET80 said:

Then what do we do about the defense? We're putting up 20-30 a game, the offense is something that can be managed appropriately with some better talent at OL.

What more does this defense need? Yet another 1st round pick? Yet another high priced FA? We've thrown money at the situation for the last three years, and we're still stuck in neutral. 

pray the new HC hires a heck of a DC.

1 minute ago, Texansfan713 said:

pray the new HC hires a heck of a DC.

Yeah, not leaving that to chance anymore. Would much rather bank on a DC minded coach finding a good QB coach and OC, and letting Watson be Watson out there.

7 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Fair enough.

I'm not totally opposed to an offensive guy, but that'll be the 3rd OC to HC we've went with, with Kubiak and O'Brien both underperforming. 

Time to flip the script - our defense is a disaster, and it's too talented to go this direction.