Bill O'Brien Hot Seat Thread - 2020 edition - GM/HC/OC/DC and Luxury Box sales

Texansfan713

On 1/6/2019 at 3:35 PM, Pastor Dillon said:

Our O-Line coach should have been fires before the day began but I haven’t heard yet. 

agreed. And Wylie was let go from the Browns and he did really well with their line over the years. We should go get him.

• Like 1

So yesterday, it was reported that Gary Kubiak was to take on the OC duties at Denver for Vic Fangio. Denver activity blocked a few teams from interviewing Kubes. 

Today, it's being reported that Kubiak and the Broncos/John Elway have a "difference in opinion" on the roster as-is and there will be a mutual parting of ways, and Kubiak will look elsewhere for his next gig - whether it be as an OC or some sort of consultant.

I would like to see Cal make the call and gauge interest in Kubiak working with the Texans again - but do you even think two stubborn people such as Kubiak and Bill O'Brien could co-exist? O'Brien is notorious for being a control freak, but let's not forget that Kubiak had a tight grip on his offense as well, as far as not letting Matt Schaub audible out of routes and play concepts...

19 minutes ago, SlammedC10 said:

I would be happy with kubiak as OC.   doubt it happens though

I would strongly prefer we do not bring back the previous HC as OC. I like Kubiak as a person, but his time coaching here ended for a reason.

If we're going to force an offensive change, let's get creative and find someone whose system matches Watson's strengths.

17 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

No way. Fire BOB and hire Kubiak, sure. Bring in Kubiak as offensive Cordinator? Has that ever been done???

Think Dallas did something similar with Dave Campo before - fired him as HC, hired Bill Parcells as HC, brought Campo back in as DC. (Edit - not even DC, brought back as a DB coach).

I think the Raiders were similar with Tom Cable, I think? Could have my timeline messed up on that, but I'm pretty certain on the Campo one.

On 1/7/2019 at 9:01 AM, ET80 said:

A few names I thought of on my drive today:

- Steelers OC Mike Munchak: His last stint in Tennessee was a disaster, but you find me the HC who can win with Jake Locker or Zach Mettenberger (hint, that guy doesn't exist). At the least, he'd probably pull off a complete revamp of our OL.

- Bears DC Vic Fangio: You'd have to surround him with a really strong OC and offensive minds (Adam Gase, Jim Bob Cooter make sense) but the things he could do with our front seven would be similar to what he did with Khalil Mack and Akeim Hicks. 

- ex-GB HC Mike McCarthy: At the height of their heyday, McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers were an incredible duo, with McCarthy designing plays that let Rodgers play without restraint. Someone like that for Deshaun Watson? That would work. 

Houston would be a enticing location to coach - you have young talent, your two best players have already committed to long term deals, you have a young QB who is very open to coaching, you're in an "afterthought" location for the media and you have ownership who will pay you a ton for minimal results and give you a long leash to build up your team.

With those things in mind, give Jim Harbaugh a call. Worst he can do is say no.

Fangio with your front 7 would have been scary.

Mike McCarthy could be great for you guys.  As you said, he did great things with Rodgers.  Another thing that makes me very high on his abilities is what I heard Rich Gannon say on a radio interview a few years ago.  Gannon started out with the Vikings and, although he showed flashes of potential, he never really went anywhere with us.  He eventually became a league MVP in Oakland, and he credited a LOT of that to his experience of working with Mike McCarthy in Kansas City.  He said McCarthy taught him a lot about what it took to be a successful NFL quarterback.  He taught him how to study film (something he never learned very well with Denny Green and his coaching staff in MN).  He taught him how to prepare for games, and he went on and listed several things I can't remember.  He was extremely complimentary when it came to Mike McCarthy.  With that kind of coaching, a QB like you have in Houston could go a long way.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Fangio with your front 7 would have been scary.

Mike McCarthy could be great for you guys.  As you said, he did great things with Rodgers.  Another thing that makes me very high on his abilities is what I heard Rich Gannon say on a radio interview a few years ago.  Gannon started out with the Vikings and, although he showed flashes of potential, he never really went anywhere with us.  He eventually became a league MVP in Oakland, and he credited a LOT of that to his experience of working with Mike McCarthy in Kansas City.  He said McCarthy taught him a lot about what it took to be a successful NFL quarterback.  He taught him how to study film (something he never learned very well with Denny Green and his coaching staff in MN).  He taught him how to prepare for games, and he went on and listed several things I can't remember.  He was extremely complimentary when it came to Mike McCarthy.  With that kind of coaching, a QB like you have in Houston could go a long way.

Why would we want that when we have Billy the Goat O’Brien?

• 2 months later...
On 3/17/2019 at 5:13 PM, Pastor Dillon said:

Realistically, we are playing a tougher schedule with less talent this coming season. How bad does it need to be to fire BOB? 

What we know for sure is that we won’t outcoach anyone or play above our potential. 

So a 6-10 season is possible. Would that get BOB fired?

We had a bunch of lucky breaks in close games last year to get to 11 wins. At least 4 close games were won in spite of BOB coaching rather than because of it.

With a tougher schedule, luck coming back down to earth, and (currently) no action taken on upgrading the O-Line, 6-10 could be optimistic. I have no idea what it takes to get BOB fired, but I hope he figures that out for us.

• 1 month later...

BOB should be out of excuses. 

Over the last 3 seasons:

3rd year for Watson, first full off season as a starter(thanks BOB)

drafted 4 tackles, 1 center and signed 4 linemen in free agency

signed and drafted 5 guys in the secondary 

he’s out of excuses. If he can’t develop talent then he has to go. 

• Like 1