Bill O'Brien Hot Seat Thread - 2020 edition - GM/HC/OC/DC and Luxury Box sales

Texansfan713

In other news of BoB sucking he didn't pick up Conley's 5th year option which would have been about $10M
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29117468/texans-declining-pick-fifth-year-option-cb-gareon-conley

This is a guy who we traded a THIRD round pick for. The article quotes BoB as saying he graded highly in his play with the team. These don't work with not picking up the option. $10M isn't a lot for a really good CB. So either you bombed on your trade (he isn't good) or you don't know the value of a good CB (we can get that quality for less than $10M).

I don't get how he has a job

45 minutes ago, mse326 said:

In other news of BoB sucking he didn't pick up Conley's 5th year option which would have been about $10M
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29117468/texans-declining-pick-fifth-year-option-cb-gareon-conley

This is a guy who we traded a THIRD round pick for. The article quotes BoB as saying he graded highly in his play with the team. These don't work with not picking up the option. $10M isn't a lot for a really good CB. So either you bombed on your trade (he isn't good) or you don't know the value of a good CB (we can get that quality for less than $10M).

We are pretty cap strapped next year, and that 10 mil would only complicate things.

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

I don’t have a problem with this. Conley isn’t gonna get over 10 million on the open market next year unless he just blows it up this season. 

59 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

We are pretty cap strapped next year, and that 10 mil would only complicate things.

Then you don't trade a 3rd round pick for him. Or, you know, don't make Martin the highest paid center.

• Like 2

Just now, mse326 said:

Then you don't trade a 3rd round pick for him. Or, you know, don't make Martin the highest paid center.

A 3rd round pick for 2 seasons of a guy is fair value. Plus Conley can still resign here. He’s not worth committing 10 million to for next year. 

• Like 1

Just now, Pastor Dillon said:

I don’t have a problem with this. Conley isn’t gonna get over 10 million on the open market next year unless he just blows it up this season. 

You're ok trading a 3rd round pick for 2 years of an slightly above average corner?

1 minute ago, Pastor Dillon said:

A 3rd round pick for 2 seasons of a guy is fair value. Plus Conley can still resign here. He’s not worth committing 10 million to for next year. 

I cannot disagree more. If I'm trading a 3rd round pick for only 2 years of play that guy better be a stud and the final piece.

Him possibly resigning is irrelevant to the trade

Just now, mse326 said:

I cannot disagree more. If I'm trading a 3rd round pick for only 2 years of play that guy better be a stud and the final piece.

Him possibly resigning is irrelevant to the trade

2 minutes ago, mse326 said:

You're ok trading a 3rd round pick for 2 years of an slightly above average corner?

These are two different questions. How many 3rd round picks become slightly above average anything? 

but the trade is really irrelevant. The question is now whether Conley is worth a commitment for next season at 10 million. He is not. 

you can continually make bad choices because you made an initial bad choice. But for our current roster, Conley is a starting level CB, so I’m ok with the trade. I’m not ok with giving him unearned money. 

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

We need to resign Watson before Mahomes so that the Cheifs have to pay Mahomes more money 

This was always going to be the case, Mahomes was going to set the negotiating point for Mahomes.

14 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

idk if Mahomes signs first, Watson will want more money. 

Mahomes ain’t signing till Dak and Watson sign. 

Dak needs to accept the 35mil/yr, then give Watson like 37mil/yr and Mahomes can go 5 years 200 mil for 40 mil AAV

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

Mahomes ain’t signing till Dak and Watson sign. 

Dak needs to accept the 35mil/yr, then give Watson like 37mil/yr and Mahomes can go 5 years 200 mil for 40 mil AAV

Dak ain’t on the same level as those two. Dallas getting screwed