Bill O'Brien Hot Seat Thread - 2020 edition - GM/HC/OC/DC and Luxury Box sales

Texansfan713

15 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

idk if Mahomes signs first, Watson will want more money. 

And anyone - not just BoB, but any GM - would be 100% correct in telling Watson no.

At this point, Mahomes is the superior QB with greater success, paying Watson more than him is asinine - and I love Watson. 

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

And anyone - not just BoB, but any GM - would be 100% correct in telling Watson no.

At this point, Mahomes is the superior QB with greater success, paying Watson more than him is asinine - and I love Watson. 

Every time a QB signs they get a record breaking deal 

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

But any GM that would pay a QB more than Mahomes immediately after Mahomes signs is incredibly foolish. If Mahomes signs and Watson says "I want more" you tell him no, point blank. Even if the standard is that a QB sets the market every time a new one signs.

There is no measure where you can claim Watson deserves more, even if Mahomes signs early (which he won't, he'll wait for Watson to sign to baseline his deal). 

Watson knows hes better than Dak so he's waiting on the  money a player like Dak can generate. I'm sure he knows Mahomes is much better than him and Mahomes won't settle for less than Watson. The Chiefs are handicapped until we resign Watson and we're handicapped until the Cowboys resign Dak. It's a mess.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tab said:

mahomes would probably want watson to sign first anyway right?

That's exactly what happens here. Both Watson and Mahomes are waiting for Dak, and it looks like Dak might be on the tag for the season. So, then Mahomes sits and waits for Watson to set the number that his team will look to beat.

On 5/2/2020 at 10:04 AM, Pastor Dillon said:

I've been thinking about this - the only reason this is the case every off-season is because Tom Brady continually takes under market value deals. If the GOAT took his full value over the course of his career, is there any agent that could successfully argue that their client deserves more? 

The Mahomes era of the NFL will probably see that happen. Watson will sign, Mahomes will set the bar - do you really think guys like Josh Allen, Sam Darnold or Baker Mayfield will top Mahomes? Heck, even if Lamar Jackson won a SB (and matching the MVP/SB path that Mahomes walked) do you think anyone would invest $50-60mm on him as a QB? Do you think Kyler Murray will command that sort of money in two years? Do you think Joe Burrow or Tua Tagovailoa will command that sort of money in three years? 

Mahomes might set the bar - and that bar might not come down for a while. He's that far ahead of the rest of the group.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 10:30 AM, Pastor Dillon said:

So BOB has been pretty adamant about how rookies aren’t going to contribute this year. Is he gonna give them a chance or is this a calculated effort to steer the narrative around the fact that he has traded away so many picks?

I think at least offensively wise 

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 10:30 AM, Pastor Dillon said:

So BOB has been pretty adamant about how rookies aren’t going to contribute this year. Is he gonna give them a chance or is this a calculated effort to steer the narrative around the fact that he has traded away so many picks?

he is stupid.  rookies can contribute especially if they are coached well. 

45 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

They put a lot of the Sophomores behind BoB - Zac Taylor, Vic Fangio, Kliff Kingsbury, Brian Flores. I can't say confidently that these guys are worse than BoB, because I don't have enough of a sample set of their work. Gut instinct tells me Fangio is absolutely better, Kingsbury and Flores might be better. Taylor seems like a mess, but that's Cincy for you.

Of the non-Sophomore coaches, the only ones I would put behind BoB would be Doug Marrone, Dan Quinn and Matt Patricia (roughly in that order). Everyone else is better if you were to ask me.

The article does convey that they're baffled at how BoB has been so bad, bit still has a job and gets yearly promotions. So at least the 17 is buoyed by actual confusion on why BoB still has a job.

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

They put a lot of the Sophomores behind BoB - Zac Taylor, Vic Fangio, Kliff Kingsbury, Brian Flores. I can't say confidently that these guys are worse than BoB, because I don't have enough of a sample set of their work. Gut instinct tells me Fangio is absolutely better, Kingsbury and Flores might be better. Taylor seems like a mess, but that's Cincy for you.

Of the non-Sophomore coaches, the only ones I would put behind BoB would be Doug Marrone, Dan Quinn and Matt Patricia (roughly in that order). Everyone else is better if you were to ask me.

The article does convey that they're baffled at how BoB has been so bad, bit still has a job and gets yearly promotions. So at least the 17 is buoyed by actual confusion on why BoB still has a job.

When you’ve won multiple division titles and made the 2nd round twice in 6 years and are still 17, it just shows how bad you suck and how good your team is. 

• Like 2