Bill O'Brien Hot Seat Thread - 2020 edition - GM/HC/OC/DC and Luxury Box sales

Texansfan713

25 minutes ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

Maybe BoB will bring in AB too, just for kicks.

So...

The hot rumor on the radio is that Earl Thomas was vetoed. BoB wanted him, but was rejected... by Janice McNair.

If there are legs to this rumor, that means BoB is losing power in the building. Losing power like that goes down a path that'll eventually lead to a dismissal; Janice signs the checks, so it's not like BoB can fire her like he did Brian Gaine. Buck stops with Janice, and she just reminded her GM/HC who is in charge; Thomas was in Houston, took his physical and was getting his Covid testing - then was immediately told to go home. There was interest, significant interest.

THIS is what I want for Christmas. BoB getting boxed in... and then boxed out.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

So...

The hot rumor on the radio is that Earl Thomas was vetoed. BoB wanted him, but was rejected... by Janice McNair.

If there are legs to this rumor, that means BoB is losing power in the building. Losing power like that goes down a path that'll eventually lead to a dismissal; Janice signs the checks, so it's not like BoB can fire her like he did Brian Gaine. Buck stops with Janice, and she just reminded her GM/HC who is in charge; Thomas was in Houston, took his physical and was getting his Covid testing - then was immediately told to go home. There was interest, significant interest.

Wait.. Bob McNair's wife vetoed BoB? Good for her. And REALLY bad for BoB. 

it's happening ron paul GIF

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ET80 said:

So...

That would certainly indicate a seat that is heating up in my mind.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, ET80 said:

So...

But exactly why is this something to be happy about?

Bill O'Brien does certainly enable the McNair attitude of "we only want GOOD guys" that has been running since we drafted David Carr for being a family man good kid but if the McNairs are going to nix deals that are going to give us a much needed boost in a season that is looking lost by week three, then what will they do to the next GM/HC that wants to play aggressive but this time they're good at their job.

10 minutes ago, Drained said:

But exactly why is this something to be happy about?

It's telling me that people inside the organization are getting wise to BoB and his incompetence. It gives me a fleeting thought that BoB is actually facing a hot seat.

Prior to this, I really figured BoB to be teflon, nothing would stick.

10 minutes ago, Drained said:

Bill O'Brien does certainly enable the McNair attitude of "we only want GOOD guys" that has been running since we drafted David Carr for being a family man good kid but if the McNairs are going to nix deals that are going to give us a much needed boost in a season that is looking lost by week three, then what will they do to the next GM/HC that wants to play aggressive but this time they're good at their job.

They're going to let them do it - as they did when BoB floated the idea of trading Hopkins, Clowney, cutting Andre Johnson, etc.

This is specific to losing confidence in BoB. They've always given latitude to their coaches to make the decision - BoB had unlimited power when making decisions, and we've seen that play out several times - SEVERAL times. Nobody spoke against BoB in each of these, and those that did (Rick Smith, Brian Gaine) were quickly shown the door.

Nobody is showing Janice the door. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

This is all a rumor that I doubt is true. 

There are a few people pretty close to team that are floating this out. It's pretty much the point of discussion on 610, which is the official station of the Texans.

For THAT many people who work with the Texans are saying it - well, the old saying is that where there's smoke, there's fire.

9 hours ago, ET80 said:

There are a few people pretty close to team that are floating this out. It's pretty much the point of discussion on 610, which is the official station of the Texans.

For THAT many people who work with the Texans are saying it - well, the old saying is that where there's smoke, there's fire.

There’s also a huge sentiment among everyone who follows the Texans that BOB has to go. Sounds like a manufactured controversy to me. She’s allowed him to do stupid thing after stupid thing, I find it extremely unlikely that she decided to speak up now and on this issue. 

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

There’s also a huge sentiment among everyone who follows the Texans that BOB has to go. Sounds like a manufactured controversy to me. She’s allowed him to do stupid thing after stupid thing, I find it extremely unlikely that she decided to speak up now and on this issue. 

SOMETHING happened though. Thomas was in Houston, took his physical and was waiting for his Covid results and was suddenly asked to leave. The Texans still had workouts this week - Kelly Bryant was someone who came in, so it wasn't a safety concern following the Titans testing results.

Thomas was here, was intent on signing, then the "not a good fit" talk started and he was sent home. There was conflict inside the building, and I have to think BoB is a part of that conflict - and given that Thomas went through a lot of the steps to work out, I think that BoB initiated the discussion.

We'll see, it's definitely not a normal situation.

18 hours ago, ET80 said:

It's telling me that people inside the organization are getting wise to BoB and his incompetence. It gives me a fleeting thought that BoB is actually facing a hot seat.

Prior to this, I really figured BoB to be teflon, nothing would stick.

They're going to let them do it - as they did when BoB floated the idea of trading Hopkins, Clowney, cutting Andre Johnson, etc.

This is specific to losing confidence in BoB. They've always given latitude to their coaches to make the decision - BoB had unlimited power when making decisions, and we've seen that play out several times - SEVERAL times. Nobody spoke against BoB in each of these, and those that did (Rick Smith, Brian Gaine) were quickly shown the door.

Nobody is showing Janice the door. 

The fear though is overreaching owners. I don't want a situation like Jerry Jones or, god forbid, Haslam.

2 hours ago, Drained said:

The fear though is overreaching owners. I don't want a situation like Jerry Jones or, god forbid, Haslam.

I think we have close to 20 years of evidence that shows this isn't the case. This particular decision is the exception, not the norm.

Cunningham and Mercilius are being paid at pro bowl levels and we are stuck with both this season and next at the minimum. Probably two of the most disappointing resigns ever. 

we are out of excuses now. We should beat the Vikings and Jaguars and be 2-3 going into the Titans/Packers games that could be really ugly for us. 

it’s possible we are 2-5 going into the bye week 

It’s also possible we are 10-5 going into week 17. Our post bye schedule doesn’t really feature any games that we can’t win. Even in the shape we are in. Just looking without a “tank to fire BOB” attitude and we probably aren’t that bad. The question is whether BOB is gonna lose the lockeroom soon or not. 

the Titans scare me a lot more now though because of our pour run defense. 

Cunningham and Mercilius are being paid at pro bowl levels and we are stuck with both this season and next at the minimum. Probably two of the most disappointing resigns ever. 

I'll give Cunningham the benefit of doubt for now - looking at our defense, it's very clear that DJ Reader was a MASSIVE part of what we did (no pun intended, but you can take it if you like it). Ross Blacklock needs to mature - quickly - to fill in that gap left by Reader. That's going to impact how Cunningham comes along as a run stopper. Cunningham isn't a prime Cushing, he's not going to play well working through traffic like Cush did. He absolutely needs a gap plugging NT to be effective, and we don't really have that guy on our roster right now.

Mercilius, on the other hand - yeah, he's terrible. He got his extension because he's a nice guy, but he's horrible at football nowadays. Maybe he always was this bad? I don't recall him being this lost out there. He's a waste of a contract, I'd take Clowney over him in every possible way.

we are out of excuses now. We should beat the Vikings and Jaguars and be 2-3 going into the Titans/Packers games that could be really ugly for us. 

The Vikings is a get right game if I've ever seen one - bad defense, one dimensional offense with a sub par QB at the controls. Against the Chiefs/Ravens, I expected a loss, but was taken back by how lopsided those losses were. It's the opposite here; I expect a win by a few scores, winning by one score is going to give me pause - we're a better team right now, and we need to play to that. If we LOSE this game, I seriously won't know what to say - outside of the usual "fire BoB" commentary.

The question is whether BOB is gonna lose the lockeroom soon or not. 

The more I hear from Randall Cobb, the more I think that's happening. Cobb is a savvy vet, and he knows how to leverage the media without really calling anyone specifically out, but he's in essence calling the coaching staff "not Football savvy" with their philosophy. 

It's one loss away from bedlam, IMO.