Report: Gruden causing divide in Raiders front office

DigInBoys

16 hours ago, Ketchup said:

When the rumors of GB getting Mack came out, I was against it. The fact that we would have had to give up a lot of premium draft capital on top of fitting his contract on the books with Rodgers’, I just thought it best to pass. With Oakland, all they had to do was make the salary work because he was already on the team. You make it work. 

I was happy when I heard he wasn't going to Green Bay.  I think that if you had gotten him, he could have ended up being for Rodgers what Reggie White was for Favre. 

When it comes to Gruden, I think he can still be a very good coach.  He has stirred things up in the Raiders organization, but given some time he should be able to get it put together in his own vision and they will see success.

3 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

More and more pretty reliable reports have been coming out that it wasnt about the contract but about Davis' cash flow issues.  He simply couldn't afford to put the guaranteed money in escrow, and Gruden has had to take the bullet for Davis bc of it.  Gruden somewhat told you that himself when he said their best offer wasnt even close to the Bears'.  Essentially the most cash poor owner in the NFL put out nearly half a billion dollars this year and couldn't afford another $100M

But he can was 100 million, albeit over 10 years, on a washed up HC? I don’t buy it. If Gruden and Davis wanted to keep Mack, they would have. 

5 hours ago, Ketchup said:

But he can was 100 million, albeit over 10 years, on a washed up HC? I don’t buy it. If Gruden and Davis wanted to keep Mack, they would have. 

Its cash flow, not ability to pay.  The NFL requires that the moment a contract is signed, all the guaranteed money not paid up front is required to be placed in an escrow account.  

23 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Outcoached? We didn't have the talent to hang with you guys. We gameplanned to use Cook and Richard to try and attack your LBs. And it worked. Carr had the yips and the wheels fell off. Denver, the offense was pretty good considering we have shaky OTs going against Von Miller, Wolfe, Chubb, and Ray. Plus vs a great secondary. Would have liked more points on the board but you take what you can get in that situation and expect your defense to not collapse. Today, honestly, Cooper had some brutal drops. Then Carr threw the game away. And our defense kept letting up big plays. Yet even still our offense was moving the ball. Yeah, Gruden is the HEAD coach, but he doesnt do much on defense. And you need your playmakers to execute.

I have bones to pick with the guy organizationally. The Mack thing was a horrible he might not ever live down. And I will not defend it. Just hoping the picks pan out. Further there have been a few odd decisions that Gruden has rolled with that I can't get behind. Like having a bad rookie punter. Dude sucks.

Gruden the GM....not a fan...Gruden the coach...definitely not bad.

When Gruden makes a second half adjustment, call me.  That's always been one of my biggest criticisms of him and it ties directly into my biggest criticism of him: Hubris.  The man, honestly, reminds me of (not entirely, but not at all dissimilar either) Arsene Wenger (for anyone that follows the EPL).  There was a time when he was innovative, but that time has long since passed and he never adapted with the modern game and was arrogant enough to think that he could keep pounding his old tactics and approach and make it work.  But there's NEVER a Plan B; Plan B is to keep doing Plan A until it works.

I mean, honestly, at this point he's at best an average coach - and that's more to do with the fact that there are a good amount of HC's out there that seem incapable of making 2nd half adjustments or that aren't willing to cede unit control to guys on their staffs who are more capable of doing that.  He's the head coach, he's responsible for both sides of the ball whether he's calling just the offense or not.  If Guenther is failing to make adjustments on defense that's on Gruden to call him out and get him doing so.

30 minutes ago, The LBC said:

When Gruden makes a second half adjustment, call me.  That's always been one of my biggest criticisms of him and it ties directly into my biggest criticism of him: Hubris.  The man, honestly, reminds me of (not entirely, but not at all dissimilar either) Arsene Wenger (for anyone that follows the EPL).  There was a time when he was innovative, but that time has long since passed and he never adapted with the modern game and was arrogant enough to think that he could keep pounding his old tactics and approach and make it work.  But there's NEVER a Plan B; Plan B is to keep doing Plan A until it works.

I mean, honestly, at this point he's at best an average coach - and that's more to do with the fact that there are a good amount of HC's out there that seem incapable of making 2nd half adjustments or that aren't willing to cede unit control to guys on their staffs who are more capable of doing that.  He's the head coach, he's responsible for both sides of the ball whether he's calling just the offense or not.  If Guenther is failing to make adjustments on defense that's on Gruden to call him out and get him doing so.

I would wait a season or so before assessing his 2nd coaching tenure. It's early still. 

25 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I would wait a season or so before assessing his 2nd coaching tenure. It's early still. 

When he's repeating the same mistakes almost 25% of the way into his first season back that were big time contributors to him being fired from his last coaching tenure, there's less reason for pause.

18 minutes ago, The LBC said:

When he's repeating the same mistakes almost 25% of the way into his first season back that were big time contributors to him being fired from his last coaching tenure, there's less reason for pause.

Fair point but it's still very early. Seems like confirmation bias to jump on him now. If this continues for a year or so, I'll definitely be inclined to agree, but talent is a large part of why we aren't winning games. We lack speed at linebacker, can't generate pressure with a 4 man rush, the OL isn't performing up to standards, and reggie nelson literally cannot run.

On 9/23/2018 at 5:26 PM, BStanRamFan said:

After week 1 my agenda is gone. Comparing an aged coach with success in one era with another HC that had success, but is no longer relevant in today's in NFL is not an agenda. It's just a matter of fact they are similar coaches and one of which was my team's HC recently.

I would say 3 weeks into a new is system is hardly a good enough sample size, but you do you

1 minute ago, kingseanjohn said:

According to OTC, the Raiders have 7mil this year, 60mil in 2019 and 124mil in 2020 in cap space. I think they could have made it work.

It's not about cap space. Mark didn't have 100M to put in escrow for guaranteed money. Dude is broke. Although once the Raiders are in Vegas in 2020, he'll be pretty set.

Archived