Earl Thomas anyone?

Chiefs_5627

2 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Earl Thomas does not haveĀ four great years of play left, which is the point.

J

And what makes you say that? Honestly? This isn't RB. 30 isn't a wall. Just about any hall of fame safety you can mention was elite into the early 30s. Reed, Dawkins, Williams, Woodson. Even Lynch, Sharper, and Harrison at least stayed very good until ~34 or so. Hell, go back to Paul Krause or Willie Wood. The only guys at S that don't last are guys with more extensive injury histories. And honestly, there's nothing about Earl's style that would indicate a steep and sudden drop off.

I'm split on it.

First of all i don't think it will happen.

But if it would happen, i would be ok with spending a 2nd rounder for him. But i wouldn't want to take the big contract that would be necessary to get him. If we would do it, than we would need to win the SB. I wouldn't accept anything else, because so much longterm money in the Safety position would likely result in other key losses in the future.

43 minutes ago, Edge said:

I'm split on it.

First of all i don't think it will happen.

But if it would happen, i would be ok with spending a 2nd rounder for him. But i wouldn't want to take the big contract that would be necessary to get him. If we would do it, than we would need to win the SB. I wouldn't accept anything else, because so much longterm money in the Safety position would likely result in other key losses in the future.

I do agree it probably won't happen. If it did though, it would definitely be a, we plan to be in the superbowl this year or next, kind of move.

Moneywise, I'd be curious what Thomas is looking for. If he's looking for a raise or just long-term security. I'd be fine with the latter, not with the former. I wouldn't mind paying him an extension at his current rate ($10M/yr) but I definitely wouldn't go for it if he's wanting top S contract type money.

19 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

And what makes you say that? Honestly? This isn't RB. 30 isn't a wall. Just about any hall of fame safety you can mention was elite into the early 30s. Reed, Dawkins, Williams, Woodson. Even Lynch, Sharper, and Harrison at least stayed very good until ~34 or so. Hell, go back to Paul Krause or Willie Wood. The only guys at S that don't last are guys with more extensive injury histories. And honestly, there's nothing about Earl's style that would indicate a steep and sudden drop off.

OK. When was Earl Thomas last great?Ā 2017? No. He made the Pro-Bowl, but it was not one of his bestĀ seasons. 2016? NOT! 2015? Maybe, but maybe not. 2014 is his last All-Pro season.Ā 

ET is playing very well, but he is not the beast that anchored the LegionĀ of Boom. If he is very good at 29, what is he at 33?

J

5 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

OK. When was Earl Thomas last great?Ā 2017? No. He made the Pro-Bowl, but it was not one of his bestĀ seasons. 2016? NOT! 2015? Maybe, but maybe not. 2014 is his last All-Pro season.Ā 

ET is playing very well, but he is not the beast that anchored the LegionĀ of Boom. If he is very good at 29, what is he at 33?

J

He is playing great right now. He is having the best season of any safety in the league so far.

20 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

No. Draw a line. He is playing well, much likeĀ Justin Houston is playing well. He used to haveĀ another level above this one.

J

PFF has him graded as the league's best defender so far at any position. He's performing at an elite level. On a team with a subpar DL and incredibly inexperienced corners, he and McDougald are what is keeping that defense together this year.

7 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

PFF has him graded as the league's best defender so far at any position. He's performing at an elite level. On a team with a subpar DL and incredibly inexperienced corners, he and McDougald are what is keeping that defense together this year.

Ahhhh MacDougald. Ā Regardless on Sorensen turning out to be decent still salty we kept him over MacDougaldĀ 

Archived