The curious case of Amari Cooper

RaidersAreOne

This is a very touchy subject with Raider Nation. I feel most people (myself included) are straight up confused about him as a player. He is soooo good at so many things, and pretty bad at a number of very important things. This season is a perfect example of how inconsistent he is, he will go for 2 catches one game then explode for 10. What is the deal with Cooper!? His hands are of course a major concern and the weakest part of his game. He also plays with little intensity and looks disinterested with no confidence. I wish he had more killer instinct in him.

Overall I think It's a mixture of Cooper not being as good as he should be, not scheming him in enough, and Carr being inconsistent himself for why he isn't the projected top 5 WR like many thought he would be out of Alabama. What are peoples opinions on Cooper? Do you hope we re-sign him to the probable decently big contract he will command? Do we let him walk and get a 3rd round compensatory pick? Do we look to trade him to a needy contender? 

1 hour ago, Totty said:

At this point... JAG.

Totally disagree. Anything but. To me, a JAG is inconspicuous. Doesn't stick out. Invisible. Cooper is the exact opposite. He's probably the most extreme case of feast or famine I can think of.

I was concerned about his hands in the draft but I didn't think they'd be this bad. Then again, I wanted Kevin White if we had to get a WR so I don't get to talk. Big Cat was my top choice for us though.

Just now, Silver&Black88 said:

Totally disagree. Anything but. To me, a JAG is inconspicuous. Doesn't stick out. Invisible. Cooper is the exact opposite. He's probably the most extreme case of feast or famine I can think of.

So... He's stuck out 2 to 5 times in the last 2 seasons.  Constant disappearing act.  I'm really frustrated with his undeniable cases of inconsistent play.  

3 minutes ago, Totty said:

So... He's stuck out 2 to 5 times in the last 2 seasons.  Constant disappearing act.  I'm really frustrated with his undeniable cases of inconsistent play.  

To me, having an extremely poor game like just one catch or a lot of drops sticks out. Just in a bad way. But I see where you're coming from.

2 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

To me, having an extremely poor game like just one catch or a lot of drops sticks out. Just in a bad way. But I see where you're coming from.

Yea I'm definitely talking about sticking out in a good way.  Which isn't happening the way it should based on ability and draft position (which isn't his fault.) The way he was touted when he was drafted led a bunch of us to believe he was going to be "Reggie Wayne".  In the start of his forth year, he's Troy Williamson. 

I'm not so naive to think that he can't turn it around, I'm just saying at this point, he's not special.  He's not consistent.  He's JAG.  Hopefully he proves me wrong going forward.  And A LOT of his poor play, has to do with Derek.  You have to be seen to make a play.  

I'm a huge carr fan but.. Carr consistently misses cooper open deep as his eyes are mostly 6-12 yards. U less cooper is brought into the scheme that week specifically carr rarely tries to attack the cb cooper is against. I saw 2-3 plays today cooper had cb beat handily and on two carr through underneath. Cooper had a big drop today and will have his drops.. odb drops passes.. julio drops passes. Cooper just isn't used enough.

I gaurentee if cooper leaves he turns into a top 8 wr. Sadly dont know how to change it unless carr looks his way more

12 minutes ago, roi34 said:

I'm a huge carr fan but.. Carr consistently misses cooper open deep as his eyes are mostly 6-12 yards. U less cooper is brought into the scheme that week specifically carr rarely tries to attack the cb cooper is against. I saw 2-3 plays today cooper had cb beat handily and on two carr through underneath. Cooper had a big drop today and will have his drops.. odb drops passes.. julio drops passes. Cooper just isn't used enough.

I gaurentee if cooper leaves he turns into a top 8 wr. Sadly dont know how to change it unless carr looks his way more

It's the whole "coverage is shifted that way", but there are still ways to get your best players involved. Look at cooper vs the Chiefs last year. We let him run deep and intermediate routes and he excelled.

Cooper’s drops are just infuriating and constant. He always seems to let it go right through his hands at critical times and kill the drive.

It doesn’t seem it will get better and would describe his time here breakout like an elite 5 games and the rest of his career is how did you not catch that man. Disappears constantly even if he beats his man it might be the confidence in the QB with his hands can he contest this catch can he even catch it. Unless it’s a body catch it’s a gamble if he can pull it in. Do we risk paying big $ on him I don’t think we should unless he is willing to be paid accordingly to his previous play and maybe potential. Overall he is not the WR we thought we drafted.

16 minutes ago, Gannon12 said:

Cooper’s drops are just infuriating and constant. He always seems to let it go right through his hands at critical times and kill the drive.

It doesn’t seem it will get better and would describe his time here breakout like an elite 5 games and the rest of his career is how did you not catch that man. Disappears constantly even if he beats his man it might be the confidence in the QB with his hands can he contest this catch can he even catch it. Unless it’s a body catch it’s a gamble if he can pull it in. Do we risk paying big $ on him I don’t think we should unless he is willing to be paid accordingly to his previous play and maybe potential. Overall he is not the WR we thought we drafted.

We don't target him on enough conventional routes. I don't see why we couldn't have had him run the same routes he ran on Roby this week. Slants, outs, etc. to gain separation. He's clearly capable of doing it very well and separating consistently.

Archived