The curious case of Amari Cooper

RaidersAreOne

My evaluation of Cooper was spot on from day 1.  I watched the film, saw holes in his game and I knew his game was nowhere elite in the line of Julio, Tron, Green etc.  My beef with Cooper was where he was drafted and the value of that pick.  You do not take a WR in the top 5 unless he has the skills to be Julio, Green or Tron.  Coopers skills are nowhere close to the WR's mentioned and never have been.  If you listen to the talking heads on TV you'd think Cooper should be wearing a yellow jacket.  Guess what, I never listen to those fools and I let my own eyes make evaluations. 

So yes I'll toot my own horn again and reiterate that Cooper is exactly who I thought he was.  Not Antonio Brown, not AJ Green, not Julio Jones and nor Tron.  He is an overrated hype machine that belongs in the slot running quick slants that he'll hopefully not drop.  

Cooper is the type of wr that needs a couple targets early to get him going then he is on rest of game. If he isn't targeting and getting open he loses a little focus on catches. Cooper has the talent imo. He def has some big drops though.

Cooper will be interesting to watch during the last 13 games of the season. Have to really wonder what Oakland will do with him will they try to trade him and get something in return for him because at this point it's really hard to imagine Oakland giving him a big contract. 

Cooper is one of the best route runners I've ever seen. But, he is mentally disengaged. He can't catch a slant pass. If you check, you will see he consistently lets the ball eat him up on slants. He is better down the field, but giving up on the deep ball route was inexcusable. Then he drops two balls in crunch time. The slant pass and the deeper ball that went right through his hands. I don't think he is going to improve. He just isn't a passionate enough guy to get angry  at himself to fix the problems. To me it's clear that Carr doesn't trust him anymore. 

About Carr, he just isn't clutch. His pocket presence has really been poor this year. He throws the ball away when he shouldn't and holds onto to it too long on other plays, He iand the raiders aren't taking enough deep shots.  In the fourth, He almost threw a pick at the beginning of the drive and then he under threw Bryant in the endzone.  It wasn't a poor decision, it was a poor throw which was identical to the bad throw he had picked in the Rams game to Cook at the end of the first half. Oh by the way, Carr doesn't throw that pick and we are up by at least six in that game at the half instead of 3 maybe were up 10. Kind of a big play.

The defense has played well overall. We have to score more points.  We are averaging 17 points a game. That's not good enough. How many scoring opportunities have we wasted the first three games? A bunch. We are throwing picks in the endzones and getting stopped on short yardage 4th down plays. The sad thing is that we could be 3-0 and probably should be. We have lost three maybe 4 quarters of football. We have won 9ish. We have had the lead going into the fourth quarter in two out of three and we should have been up way more in the Rams game if we aren't throwing them the ball. The Rams game was the worst Carr has played in my opinion.

Carr and Cooper have a ton of talent, but it is becoming dubious as to whether or not they will ever fulfill it.

1. Released Derek Carr
    (Saved: $15,000,000)
  2. Released Amari Cooper
    (Saved: $13,924,000)
  3. Released Bruce Irvin
    (Saved: $9,250,000)
  4. Released Donald Penn
    (Saved: $5,600,000)
  5. Released Jordy Nelson
    (Saved: $7,200,000)
  6. Released Gabe Jackson
    (Saved: $7,000,000)
  7. Released Seth Roberts
    (Saved: $4,650,000)
  8. Released Lee Smith
    (Saved: $3,350,000)
  9. Released Kyle Wilber
    (Saved: $1,250,000)

Cut or trade them all and we have $140 million in cap space.  Blow it all up.  Be smart about it and make the trades before the draft and do not get taken advantage of.  

I do think we should but it is possible to do it and rebuild quickly if we can find a decent QB.  Right now would you rather have Carr or Fitzpatrick?

I'd keep Gabe Jackson. I'll give Carr this and one more year, unless his play doesn't improve. If he continues to throw terrible picks and be a check down monster, he can go at the end of the year. Cooper is an enigma. Why can't he catch? Id he working on it? It isn't a new problem. So sad. You can't pay him big money. He isn't a consistent number 1 right now. He just doesn't seem to take responsibility for his mistakes. Cut the rest.

54 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:
  1. Released Derek Carr
    (Saved: $15,000,000)
  2. Released Amari Cooper
    (Saved: $13,924,000)
  3. Released Bruce Irvin
    (Saved: $9,250,000)
  4. Released Donald Penn
    (Saved: $5,600,000)
  5. Released Jordy Nelson
    (Saved: $7,200,000)
  6. Released Gabe Jackson
    (Saved: $7,000,000)
  7. Released Seth Roberts
    (Saved: $4,650,000)
  8. Released Lee Smith
    (Saved: $3,350,000)
  9. Released Kyle Wilber
    (Saved: $1,250,000)

Cut or trade them all and we have $140 million in cap space.  Blow it all up.  Be smart about it and make the trades before the draft and do not get taken advantage of.  

I do think we should but it is possible to do it and rebuild quickly if we can find a decent QB.  Right now would you rather have Carr or Fitzpatrick?

That is the most insane thing I have read.  Another homer calling for the Raiders to release Carr.  You were most likely one, who after last weeks performance thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread.  After 3 games you'd rather have a 35 year old career journeyman and back up Fitz, why because he has played 2 good games and now has the TV nickname Fitzmagic?  You flat out must be kidding me, look at his career track record not the last 2 games SMH... 

Carr is a young top 15 QB in the NFL, he is learning a new system, under a new head coach and new O coordinator for the 4th time in his career.  Over the first 3 years of his career 1 QB threw more career TD passes, Marino.  It's 3 games, I have seen Carr can lead, carry a team and be a franchise QB. He hasn't forgotten how to play football or how to lead.  Trust me when I say this team has many more problems than Carr and to call for him to be cut and land a player like Fitz has to be the most homerish thing I have read on here in years.  If that doesn't scream I know zero about football then I don't know what does.  Thanks for the laugh.  

I would also keep Jackson and offer Cooper around 7 million per.  If he wants much over that he can take a hike.  

18 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

We don't target him on enough conventional routes. I don't see why we couldn't have had him run the same routes he ran on Roby this week. Slants, outs, etc. to gain separation. He's clearly capable of doing it very well and separating consistently.

feels like Gruden wanted to get Jordy going but Cooper should be the alpha dog... this isn't Rice and Brown 2.0, Cooper needs to get high targets

5 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

That is the most insane thing I have read.  Another homer calling for the Raiders to release Carr.  You were most likely one, who after last weeks performance thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread.  After 3 games you'd rather have a 35 year old career journeyman and back up Fitz, why because he has played 2 good games and now has the TV nickname Fitzmagic?  You flat out must be kidding me, look at his career track record not the last 2 games SMH... 

Carr is a young top 15 QB in the NFL, he is learning a new system, under a new head coach and new O coordinator for the 4th time in his career.  Over the first 3 years of his career 1 QB threw more career TD passes, Marino.  It's 3 games, I have seen Carr can lead, carry a team and be a franchise QB. He hasn't forgotten how to play football or how to lead.  Trust me when I say this team has many more problems than Carr and to call for him to be cut and land a player like Fitz has to be the most homerish thing I have read on here in years.  If that doesn't scream I know zero about football then I don't know what does.  Thanks for the laugh.  

I would also keep Jackson and offer Cooper around 7 million per.  If he wants much over that he can take a hike.  

It was more of a joke about all the overreactions.  There is even a part in the post where I say I do not think we should.  All of our players have issues except....Oh yeah we just got rid of him.  Because Carr plays QB he is worth keeping but if he played any other position and was paid top five money at his position most of us would want him cut, traded, or restructured.  If Cooper was paid top 5 money I would say the same about him.  I do not believe we have a single player who is top five at their position this season.  I know Carr is going to have growing pains in Gruden's system and I am giving him a pass because of it.  I have read all the stories about Gannon and how he started but right now Carr has the 19th highest rating, the leagues worst td-int ratio, and a QBR of 42.5 (Josh Allen 43.4).  We have 3 points in the fourth and our redzone offence is garbage.  This is going to be a long year but if Carr can not start correcting some of his issues this year and put it together next year I want him gone for real.  Right now I am just going to start training and playing more golf on Sundays.

21 hours ago, NJ Raider said:

Just saw the replay of the Carr to cooper pick. One of the few times Carr tries to extend a play with his legs and Coop gives up on his route? Worst case scenario he breaks up the pick if he finishes the route.

Yep, Coop had 3 guys beat and just gave up. Even worse he didnt put in any effort to make a tackle after that.

Archived