Craig Hoffman’s Three & out: Redskins-Packers post game quick hits

turtle28

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

I agree, he did play well. 

I just didn’t include him because that’s what I expect. He’s a good QB, I expect him to play well most times out. Kinda like I wouldn’t usually include guys like Trent, Scherff, Norman, Kerrigan, even Reed and CT, unless they were particularly great in a game. It’s more noteworthy to me when he has a bad patch (like the 4th quarter against IND) than when he plays well.

But I probably should have given some credit to him (and to the game plan) for being aggressive and taking shots. That was an important step. Especially putting the ball right back up in the air after the INT, as I was worried that might make him a little gunshy.

Exactly my thinking. I'm gonna bash him when I think it is warranted. I'll do the same with praise as well. And yes, I thought he was going to "turtle up" after that INT

6 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

So it was on Norman

Not to say that I know better than DJ or Hoffman, and I definitely don’t know if they had some kinda particular call on, but...

Doesn't it seem sorta odd to be in a quarters coverage against an opponent in a 2x2 receivers — and then have your safety on one side robbing the crossing route from the outside receiver and the outside CB expected to carry the outside receiver even into the middle of the field? Especially when you’re in your base defense?

Anything out-breaking from the slot receiver (which is in fact what they ran) would then leave him alone with a LB. Seems like you’d get wheeled and cornered and even just flat out routed to death, doesn’t it?

From watching it, and even knowing they were in quarters, I still don’t know if Norman was supposed to stay with Allison. It doesn’t make sense to me, but maybe they wanted to bracket the deep receiver. I definitely think Swearinger is at least partly at fault though — even if he had license to be aggressive and jump in-breaking routes, he took the cheese in a huge way. Got left standing covering nothing but air and empty turf. That can’t be how they intended that coverage to work. 

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I agree with Hoffman that there are situations in which they’d be in quarters and DJ would vacate and Norman would basically be locked in man. But that would usually be most common in scenarios when the offense has trips on the opposite side, where you’re rolling your safety to help with the most inside and/or in-breaking receiver from the trips or the bunch. Not really as common in a 2x2 situation like they were in on that play ??‍♂️

19 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yup. I heard that this a.m.

DJ did what he was allowed to do in taking the option. But should he have crashed down?

Kinda agree with @e16bball here on a weird coverage. Either way, I do think Norman continues to underplay the $ we are giving him

He was never going to live up to his contract but he’s been pretty good here and the Redskins fans acting like he’s garbage is just ridiculous. Corners simply cannot shut down receivers the way they could before with the rules so slanted in the offenses favor. I’m happy with what we’ve got from him and I think our defensive backfield would suffer immensely with him off the field. 

49 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

He was never going to live up to his contract but he’s been pretty good here and the Redskins fans acting like he’s garbage is just ridiculous. Corners simply cannot shut down receivers the way they could before with the rules so slanted in the offenses favor. I’m happy with what we’ve got from him and I think our defensive backfield would suffer immensely with him off the field. 

Now don't misunderstand. I don't think he's garbage. But the fact that he's not travelling with the best WR and the fact that we get some games where WRs abuse him, I'm not happy with. The former is not is fault. The latter is.

Either way, I'm glad he's here. And I agree with the bolded.

On 9/24/2018 at 2:20 PM, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

So it was on Norman

Ugh. While that may be true, a true leader does not lay blame on other players in the press. I don’t approve of Swearinger saying this, I just don’t. He totally left Norman out to dry here. Bad.

On 9/24/2018 at 8:55 PM, lavar703 said:

I don’t think anyone thinks he’s garbage. Some - not all - just think he’s not coming close to living up to his contract. 

My main issue with Norman is that he’s not a playmaker. In my personal opinion it’s like we gave Ike - no catch - Taylor or the Redskins version of Carlos Rogers a $75 million contract.

Taylor is a technician, I admire his technique and how it’s usually superb. I think he’s really helped the young corners develop, but at the same time, I can’t get over that he’s not much of a playmaker and that for a corner he’s slow.

He’s run a 4.66 forty yard dash. 

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Isn't it generally conceded Norman is gone next year? No guaranteed money next year . Cap savings of $8.5 mill. Maybe they'll rework the deal and keep him but I doubt he'd be amenable to that .  

I believe he’s gone next year as well. Dunbar and Moreau will be the starters with Alexander and Stroman battling it out for nickel. 

On 9/24/2018 at 12:26 AM, e16bball said:

The only really important thing, though, is that the last time the Redskins won two of their first three by at least two scores was...1991. 

There’s only one NFC team with a better point differential than the Redskins at this point, and that’s the LA Rams (who everyone seems to believe is the best team in football at this point). 

I hate to break the bad news to everyone, but the Redskins might not be a bottom feeder. They might not even be a bad team ??‍♂️

Oh no he didn’t... lol

On 9/26/2018 at 12:20 PM, lavar703 said:

I believe he’s gone next year as well. Dunbar and Moreau will be the starters with Alexander and Stroman battling it out for nickel. 

I think if they let Norman go next year that they’ll draft another corner. I think they’ll take one in rounds 1-3.

If Norman is gone, and we save $8.5 million, that should leave enough money to re-sign Preston, Crowder and Scherff. If that happens, I’d probably go corner in round 1, if that’s the BPA and there are a lot of talented ones available. Then, I’d take OG in round 2 if he’s one of the BPA and then in round 3 and 4, I’d look to take an ILB and OLB in each round depending which is BPA. We’ll also have the compensatory  picks, so we could go ILB & OLB in round 3 as developmental players behind our vet starters or take a mid round QB to develop behind Alex and Colt.

34 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I think if they let Norman go next year that they’ll draft another corner. I think they’ll take one in rounds 1-3.

If Norman is gone, and we save $8.5 million, that should leave enough money to re-sign Preston, Crowder and Scherff. If that happens, I’d probably go corner in round 1, if that’s the BPA and there are a lot of talented ones available. Then, I’d take OG in round 2 if he’s one of the BPA and then in round 3 and 4, I’d look to take an ILB and OLB in each round depending which is BPA. We’ll also have the compensatory  picks, so we could go ILB & OLB in round 3 as developmental players behind our vet starters or take a mid round QB to develop behind Alex and Colt.

Why would we draft another corner? They drafted Moreau, Alexander, Stroman and Holsey. They developed Dunbar from an undrafted free agent. It makes no sense whatsoever to draft a corner high when you have young, developing corners already and basically nothing at WR, LG and ILB. And when I say ILB, I mean young talent behind Foster and Brown. 

On 9/27/2018 at 10:35 PM, lavar703 said:

Why would we draft another corner? They drafted Moreau, Alexander, Stroman and Holsey. They developed Dunbar from an undrafted free agent. It makes no sense whatsoever to draft a corner high when you have young, developing corners already and basically nothing at WR, LG and ILB. And when I say ILB, I mean young talent behind Foster and Brown. 

Alexander, Stroman and Holsey are late round talent guys. I’m not saying they may not develop into something good in a few years, but let’s be honest. If you lose a pro bowl caliber corner, you had better bring in another talented player to at least compete for the starting position opposite Dunny, with Moreau.

I don’t know enough about Alexander, Holsey (and if he’ll ever be the same again) or Stroman to say they can be the nickel corner.

Heck, most in this forum didn’t trust that Moreau could come in and be the #3 corner after we traded Fuller decided not to keep Breeland, you were one of those I believe. Also, in several posts you’ve stated how we’d be lost without Norman in our defensive backfield.

And now you’re telling me to have faith in a supplemental 6th round pick and two 7th round picks to fill that spot?

Man, make up your mind.

Archived