GDT Week 4 - Bills (1-2) @ Packers (1-1-1)

MNPackfan32

Player Of The Game  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Player Of The Game

• Josh Allen
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • G-Mo
    • Aaron Jones (If Mac uses him)
    • Tae Adams
    • Shady McCoy

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/02/2018 at 04:25 AM

16 hours ago, The BILLievers said:

Yeah he was friends with everyone in the school. super chill and laid back and just a good person.

He was a beast. My buddy was the QB and he would just throw it up to Jake every play and he'd come down with it every time       No joke.

We'd play basketball at our local park district and he'd dunk on grown men as a high schooler lol. With his personality and looks you'd never think he was a freak athlete but here he is.

I thought he had a realistic shot at making the roster before his shoulder injury so hopefully he can once healthy!

That is a tough situation.  His injury was actually great timing.  He most certainly earned his spot on the roster, but you really, really hate to give up on J'Mon Moore or Equanimeous St. Brown after just one camp for a 26 year old player, especially when none of those guys are likely to see the field over Adams, Allison, Cobb, and Graham.  And it kind of sends a bad  message to future UDFAs if you cut a player that clearly out performed two others at his position by all accounts from practice and preseason game action.  You might miss out on the next Sam Shields if you show that you just won't make the roster even if you show better in camp.  I know that would make me less likely to sign as a UDFA.  Perhaps he makes the squad next season.  Both Allison and Cobb are set to be FAs, I would think long and hard (Golddust.gif) about rolling with J'mon, EQ, MVS, and Kumerow and letting both vets walk (Kumerow is older than Allison, but due to the way contracts work, will almost 100% be cheaper).

I've come to the conclusion we aren't going anywhere with our EDGE pass rushers. We simply don't have enough juice to consistently get pressure on the QB. Our secondary is improved, much improved, but nobody can hold up that long. 

EXACTLY why I wanted to grab an EDGE rusher in the 1st round. Love Alexander, but have to get to the QB, we don't do it consistently enough. 

On 9/28/2018 at 4:55 PM, {Family Ghost} said:

Yikes ... it's clearly our #1 priority going forward.  We probably will clean house next year.  I doubt both Perry and Matthews will be back.  Perry for sure should be out .. Matthews is more versatile.  Fackrell is junk.  We need to hit the draft and free agency hard .. maybe even explore a trade or two.

You haven't looked at the financials have you. Matthews contract is up after this year. Perry will still have several million in dead money next year. 

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

You haven't looked at the financials have you. Matthews contract is up after this year. Perry will still have several million in dead money next year. 

Yep. Perry will stay. I still think he's one of those guys who can produce, but only in contract year situations. If he were on yearly contracts it would be better, but he'll never go for that.

8 hours ago, thrILL! said:

How much burn do you think Breeland will get on Sunday?   

Hopefully limited. The guy hasnt played a down of football since last season. Though I'm sure he's not forgotten how to do it - I think we're running an injury risk should be get alot of snaps this week.

Just now, Golfman said:

I've come to the conclusion we aren't going anywhere with our EDGE pass rushers. We simply don't have enough juice to consistently get pressure on the QB. Our secondary is improved, much improved, but nobody can hold up that long. 

EXACTLY why I wanted to grab an EDGE rusher in the 1st round. Love Alexander, but have to get to the QB, we don't do it consistently enough. 

It's better to wait for the right pass rusher than to force it.  Everybody points to Watt and Davenport as the guys we should have drafted because they've had some success.  Davenport has been getting worse as the season has moved on.  TJ Watt is NOT the player people see on his Browns highlight reels.  He (Watt) is currently sitting at a 52.6 PFF rating.  Davenport has gone from the 80's in his rating down to the low 70's.  We could have taken either one of them, but they're not exactly lighting the world on fire.  Clay started horribly and he has been slowly going back up in his ratings.  Same thing with Perry.  If those two can continue improving and getting back to their veteran level production, our pass rush can turn around. 

You can create a pass rush in multiple different ways, but if your corners can't cover, it won't matter.  Last year was a perfect example of this.  Everybody hated Clay last year because he wasn't getting the sackz.  There are at least half a dozen plays last year where Clay won in less than two seconds, but the QB got rid of the ball.  All he had to do was throw it up because guys like Hawkins and House were covering receivers. 

As the corners get better at NFL football, the coverage will be better and our pass rushers will have more time. 

As far as I see it, with Watt/King and Davenport/Alexander+1st round pick, I am convinced that we made the right decisions.  It sucks to not have a pass rusher, but it sucks worse to invest in a pass rusher that can't get it done.  Nick Perry is a perfect example of this.  We needed a pass rusher.  We passed up Harrison Smith, the clear best player available, for Nick Perry. 

We don't need a pass rusher to win the Super Bowl, we need a pass rush.  We have had success nearly every single time we have blitzed Jackson/Alexander.  They both have a knack for the blitz beyond their years.  As the season progresses and it gets harder to pass, what will matter more than a pass rush is run defense and coverage. 

You also have to consider the possibility that one of Perry/Matthews/Gilbert will have a late season resurgence.  It's not unheard of, even looking into the history of Perry/Matthews.  In 2015, Perry had 3.5 sacks during the regular season.  Playoffs came around and he had 3.5 sacks in two postseason games. 

Same with Clay just a year before.  In 2014, Clay had 2.5 sacks through the first 8 games of the season.  He moved inside, minimizing his attempts, and he had 8.5 sacks in his final 8 regular season games. 

The pass rush has been bad through the first three weeks.  That doesn't mean it's going to stay bad, and the Packers made the right decision. 

A good corner and a future first round pick is always better than a good pass rusher and nothing.  It sucks for the year you really need a pass rusher, but if we'd taken Davenport, we'd be saying we should have taken a cornerback. 

I think we have gone a long way this year to shore up our weakness at cornerback.  I'm still really concerned about our play at safety and the front seven. 

It's hard being a safety in the pass happy and tackling adverse NFL these days.  However even knowing this, HaHa is supposed to be a better than average safety, but his play film the past several years speaks of a guy making "business decisions" over and over again.  Brice looks to be a player that lacks instincts in pass coverage.   An upgrade is an absolute necessity here.  I was somewhat disappointed we did not bring in Reid in free agency and giving him a chance.

On the front 7, I agree with Pettine that pass pressure from the interior is the key to disrupting today's passing game.  So that might mean that the outside linebacker position in his defense is not quite as important as the defensive lineman.  Our current defensive front is pretty good at defending the run, but lacking in winning the one on ones necessary to create a pass rush.  Someone needs to step up.  Historically, Mike Daniels was our best bet to produce pressure, however he is starting to get up there in age and his number of pressures seems to be declining over time. 

Pettine's defense was good in New York when he had Richardson and Wilkinson producing pressure from the interior.  So fixing this is important.  We may be in luck as this upcoming draft is supposed to be one of the deepest drafts in years for defensive lineman.  To top it off, we just so happen to have 2 first round picks.  So I'm rooting against the Saints each and every week with a passion (sorry Saint's fans).  We could go a long way to solving our interior pass rush problem by drafting one or two interior defensive lineman.  If we can get a good push from the middle, the cornerbacks are going to look much better.  Hopefully we can get lucky in this years draft and fix this problem and improve our defense to at least a league average or above standard.

Screw it - just roll this alignment and move guys pre-snap

King                               Clark     Adams    Daniels                      Jackson    Alexander

Jones     CM3                          

Tramon       HHCD        Breeland

Archived