Is Alvin Kamara the best Running Back in the NFL?

SBLIII

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I read stuff like this and think "why the hell didn't Reggie Bush work out?" He's basically the same sort of player when he was there...

There were a couple big factors that hindered Bush's ability to be anywhere near the weapon that Kamara is with the Saints. One being Bush simply couldn't stay healthy. He always seemed to be dinged up early in his career. Secondly, he initially did a poor job adjusting to the speed of the NFL. He came into the league trying to be the homerun hitter he was at USC, and tried to beat defenses with his athleticism bouncing things outside almost always looking for the big play. Obviously that doesn't work at this level, and it took him time to improve as a runner, and show some more patience/vision running the ball. Towards the end of Bush's time with the Saints, I think we started to see the maturation of Bush to an extent. He was never quite at the level of Kamara, but during our Super Bowl run in 2009 it seemed it was the start of him forming into a legitimate weapon at RB. He did end having some solid years in Miami/Detroit after leaving the Saints.

Kamara from day 1 has shown instincts to be an effective runner, and is much better fighting through contact in comparison to Bush. The balance that is often mentioned with Kamara is also one of the biggest advantages as Kamara can stay on his feet while taking hits from so many different angles. One play from the Houston game on Monday that really highlights the difference between Kamara and Bush for me is this one:

I don't think Bush would ever have had the patience to let this one develop like Kamara did to cut it back inside. This is one where Bush likely would have raced to the outside in an attempt to outrun the defense and been caught before he could turn it up field. 

Edited by tyler735

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

I read stuff like this and think "why the hell didn't Reggie Bush work out?" He's basically the same sort of player when he was there...

Legs.

Bush had skinny legs.  He couldn't break tackles like Alvin.  

Great NFL RBs typically have thick lower bodies that allow them to break tackles.  Reggie was build more like a CB than RB.

Super quiet from the man Tyler..

Kamara as a bell cow just wont cut it. 60 total yards. 3.5 YPC. Just not good enough! Going up a bad run defense as well. 

Ill tell you what brother i expected a whole lot more from the best RB in the NFL. Kamara with the Giants would have been cut already. He needs a HOF QB and that just ain’t right. My mans Gurley out produced Kamara in the Run game alone. 

Weekly bump! @tyler735 stand the hell up. Show yourself. 

Just now, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Super quiet from the man Tyler..

Kamara as a bell cow just wont cut it. 60 total yards. 3.5 YPC. Just not good enough! Going up a bad run defense as well. 

Ill tell you what brother i expected a whole lot more from the best RB in the NFL. Kamara with the Giants would have been cut already. He needs a HOF QB and that just ain’t right. My mans Gurley out produced Kamara in the Run game alone. 

Weekly bump! @tyler735 stand the hell up. Show yourself. 

1 game sample size with some very undesirable circumstances. Meh argument at best my friend. I expect better out of you. Did you already forget about what he did week 1?

Just now, tyler735 said:

1 game sample size with some very undesirable circumstances. Meh argument at best my friend. I expect better out of you. Did you already forget about what he did week 1?

Brother the Texans are trash. And they were at home. It takes an elite team to beat y’all at home. The Texans are hot Cheetos. 

Just now, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Brother the Texans are trash. And they were at home. It takes an elite team to beat y’all at home. The Texans are hot Cheetos. 

So what you're saying is if we disregard his good games and focus on his below average ones Kamara isn't that great? Also I disagree on the Texans. I bet they finish as a playoff team this year

7 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

LOL at Rams fans...finally after 3 years having a semi-down game to point at.

I was waiting for Rammy to bump this thread but it will be interesting to see how Brees' absence affects Kamara. CMAC, Zeke, and Saquon have proven to still put up elite numbers with poor QB play. The Saints still have a great offensive line so I'd expect his numbers not to diminish a ton if he is in that same tier.