Is Alvin Kamara the best Running Back in the NFL?

SBLIII

4 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

What does coming into a thread unprovoked numerous times on this forum and trying to "attack" me have anything to do with Kamara having a down year? But yeah the Falcons do suck.

This thread is titled "is Kamara the best back in the league?" If you don't want people to disagree with the premise then maybe don't participate in the thread. The attacks on people's teams that disagree with the thread's premise is immature. Though not unexpected.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

This thread is titled "is Kamara the best back in the league?" If you don't want people to disagree with the premise then maybe don't participate in the thread. The attacks on people's teams that disagree with the thread's premise is immature. Though not unexpected.

"bro, youre going to make @tyler735 cry."

Nah, he has a history of coming in out of nowhere and trying to make this personal. Obviously at that point I'm going to acknowledge that Kamara's team will still be playing come January. If he were to just disagree with me, fair enough, I've had plenty of conversations with people in this thread that haven't gotten to that point. May be wise to just stay in your lane though and not derail this thread any further?

If anything this thread is a testament for teams to avoid signing running backs to exorbitant contracts. I mean, look at the top 10 highest paid running backs (annual salary). Among those names, how many actually lived up to their contract? How many of these guys have missed significant time due to injury? 

Top 10 Average Annual Salary

1. Ezekiel Elliot

2. Todd Gurley

3. Le'veon Bell

4. David Johnson

5. Devonta Freeman

6. Saquon Barkley

7. Jerrick Mckinnon

8. Leonard Fournette

9. Lamar Miller

10. Mark Ingram

It'll be interesting how New Orleans handles contract negotiations with Kamara when the time comes. A healthy Kamara might be worth it, but what are the odds he actually stays fit long-term?

2 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

If anything this thread is a testament for teams to avoid signing running backs to exorbitant contracts. I mean, look at the top 10 highest paid running backs (annual salary). Among those names, how many actually lived up to their contract? How many of these guys have missed significant time due to injury? 

Yikes there are some rough ones on there.

1. Ezekiel Elliot

I don't mind his deal too much so long as he stays healthy (always a big risk I suppose with RB's)

2. Todd Gurley

Suppose it would have been difficult for the Rams to predict Gurley would have the knee issue so early in his career, but man does that contract look ugly now in hindsight. As one Rams fan put it in this thread, he may not even be a top 15 RB anymore.

3. Le'veon Bell

It seemed Bell was chasing the money, and may have a rebound next year if Darnold makes some positive strides.  

4. David Johnson

Not sure what to make of David Johnson anymore.

5. Devonta Freeman

Big yikes.

6. Saquon Barkley

His value will likely surpass his contract here.

7. Jerrick Mckinnon

Big yikes.

8. Leonard Fournette

Probably a bit high, but still a talented RB.

9. Lamar Miller

Big yikes.

10. Mark Ingram

Seems like a solid deal for the Ravens. Not much wear and tear on the tires since he always split carries. Probably finishes the season with several career highs this year. 

It'll be interesting how New Orleans handles contract negotiations with Kamara when the time comes. A healthy Kamara might be worth it, but what are the odds he actually stays fit long-term?

This will be an intriguing situation to monitor. Payton doesn't run Kamara into the ground as he always uses a split backfield, which may work towards Kamara's benefit in terms of seeing the end of his next contract without his body breaking down. Kamara's ability to be a receiving threat could also work into his favor long term here as he will probably take less big hits then guys like Zeke who are constantly running the ball. Before the year I thought Kamara would be seeing a crazy contract, but given how this season has played out, I think he has lost some leverage.

31 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

May be wise to just stay in your lane though and not derail this thread any further?

This thread has been derailed since day 1. The topic has been a meme for 80 pages. It's not derailing anything to take a victory lap. If you want to poke fun at the Rams or Falcons to fight back, that is your prerogative. It would derail the thread though and we know we don't want to do that!

48 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

"bro, youre going to make @tyler735 cry."

Nah, he has a history of coming in out of nowhere and trying to make this personal. Obviously at that point I'm going to acknowledge that Kamara's team will still be playing come January. If he were to just disagree with me, fair enough, I've had plenty of conversations with people in this thread that haven't gotten to that point. May be wise to just stay in your lane though and not derail this thread any further?

yes, its funny as youve so passionately defended kamara with such little actual evidence. but its always tied back to kamara. Its not personal, its just saying silly things leads to getting called out on it, it applies to everyone. 

now that its overwhelmingly clear that he isnt the best, or even top 5, you move it away from kamara and onto things like how gurleys not great anymore or this team sucks. Its basically a 12 year old throwing a tantrum cause he didnt get his way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GSUeagles14 said:

yes, its funny as youve so passionately defended kamara with such little actual evidence. but its always tied back to kamara. Its not personal, its just saying silly things leads to getting called out on it, it applies to everyone. 

now that its overwhelmingly clear that he isnt the best, or even top 5, you move it away from kamara and onto things like how gurleys not great anymore or this team sucks. Its basically a 12 year old throwing a tantrum cause he didnt get his way.

Nope I'm pointing out the huge variance in RB rankings each year. Maybe Kamara isn't the best but next year he easily could be in the discussion for top 3/top 5 again like he was by most going into this season. 

1 minute ago, tyler735 said:

Nope I'm pointing out the huge variance in RB rankings each year. Maybe Kamara isn't the best but next year he easily could be in the discussion for top 3/top 5 again like he was by most going into this season. 

its not maybe kamara isnt the best. Its hes definitely not top 5, hasnt been top 10 (heck, maybe top 15) this year and if this continues then his rookie year will look more and more like a fluke. 

I hope you realize pretty much everyone see this thread as a joke at this point.

5 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

its not maybe kamara isnt the best. Its hes definitely not top 5, hasnt been top 10 (heck, maybe top 15) this year and if this continues then his rookie year will look more and more like a fluke. 

I hope you realize pretty much everyone see this thread as a joke at this point.

He was widely considered top 5 last year, and his rookie year he dominated as well. He had a knee/high ankle injury this year fairly early on. He had 2 great seasons, so it's not like his rookie year is a fluke. Yes I'm aware of the status of this thread. Won't be surprised if he has a big rebound year next season.

Just now, tyler735 said:

He was widely considered top 5 last year, and his rookie year he dominated as well. He had a knee/high ankle injury this year fairly early on. He had 2 great seasons, so it's not like his rookie year is a fluke. Yes I'm aware of the status of this thread. Won't be surprised if he has a big rebound year next season.

no, last year wasnt great. full stop.furthermore, by the end of the year multiple people were saying he wasnt top 5. Of course you were arguing he was still the best but that was just delusion. 

He had a great rookie year, last year was a disappointment based on what people expected (essentially the year cmc had) and then theres this year. like i said, one more year and his great rookie year seems like it was an aberration.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

no, last year wasnt great. full stop.furthermore, by the end of the year multiple people were saying he wasnt top 5. Of course you were arguing he was still the best but that was just delusion. 

Look you can't call me out for being delusional and say Kamara wasn't great last year in the same paragraph. Like it's incredibly hard to take you seriously. Kamara was top 5 in yards from scrimmage (rushing/receiving) among all RB's, and was number 2 among all RB's in touchdowns last season. He was undoubtedly great last year and even the biggest Saints haters (outside of yourself) would struggle to put up a legitimate argument that he wasn't a top 5 RB last year.

12 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Look you can't call me out for being delusional and say Kamara wasn't great last year in the same paragraph. Like it's incredibly hard to take you seriously. Kamara was top 5 in yards from scrimmage (rushing/receiving) among all RB's, and was number 2 among all RB's in touchdowns last season. He was undoubtedly great last year and even the biggest Saints haters (outside of yourself) would struggle to put up a legitimate argument that he wasn't a top 5 RB last year.

gurley

cmc

barkley

zeke

gordon.

super easy. and while he was 5th in scrimmag yards  he dropped to 8th in per game  and all the guys above him played in at least 11 so wasnt like it was a sample size issue.

not everyone gets to have a great season, thats reserved for the very best, like cmc and gurley last year. just because it wasnt great doesnt mean it wasnt good.

gurley

cmc

barkley

zeke

gordon.

super easy. and while he was 5th in scrimmag yards  he dropped to 8th in per game  and all the guys above him played in at least 11 so wasnt like it was a sample size issue.

Gordon has no legitimate argument over Kamara. 

not everyone gets to have a great season, thats reserved for the very best, like cmc and gurley last year. just because it wasnt great doesnt mean it wasnt good.

You are arguing silly semantics. The vast majority of people would have considered Kamara to be a top 5 RB last year. The vast majority would consider that to be a great season. If you wanna live in your own delusional world that's fine. Just know you're in the minority on this one.

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

Gordon has no legitimate argument over Kamara. 

You are arguing silly semantics. The vast majority of people would have considered Kamara to be a top 5 RB last year. The vast majority would consider that to be a great season. If you wanna live in your own delusional world that's fine. Just know you're in the minority on this one.

cool story bro. you are right some if it is semantics as what great is but quite frankly this is just a stupid argument for both of us as kamara has no claim to being even a top 5 back. 

if people didnt go to this thread for laughs we're at the point it should be locked. no ones arguing anything relevant in like a dozen pages. if kamara somehow finds his way to his rookie year form next year then it should be reopened.

13 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

1. Ezekiel Elliot

2. Todd Gurley

3. Le'veon Bell

4. David Johnson

5. Devonta Freeman

6. Saquon Barkley

7. Jerrick Mckinnon

8. Leonard Fournette

9. Lamar Miller

10. Mark Ingram

This list right here is why I'm concerned about giving Henry a big contract, even with as great and important as he is to the team.