Is Alvin Kamara the best Running Back in the NFL?

SBLIII

8 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

LaDainian Tomlinson, Emmitt Smith, and Priest Holmes I'm sure would think these statements are cute.

13 total TD's in 20 games is staggering, oh but lets throw in that "per touch" statement? LT had 28 in 16 games, Emmitt with 25 in 16, and Holmes with 27. And these were consecutive games in a row. Not taking time off and having other people take the bulk of the pressure off of them. They were the focal point of their offenses as well as the defenses as well.

He did say to start his career...which is a true statement. 

Tomlinson has 15 TDs through his first 20 games.

Emmitt had 15 TDs in his first 20 games. 

Holmes had 8 TDs through his first 20 games.

Gurley had 13 TDs through his first 20 games.

Kamara has 20 TDs through his first 20 games.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

I wouldn’t go that strong. Gurley is a stud. I have no problem with people saying Gurley is the best. But the crowd who don’t think that Kamara is even close are annoying, and frankly insulting the rest of our intelligence. 

If I had the option between Gurley and Kamara, I would take Gurley 100/100 times.  So in my mind, that means the two aren't close.  Even if I would concede that Kamara is the second best back in the league (in this scenario).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

He did say to start his career...which is a true statement. 

Tomlinson has 15 TDs through his first 20 games.

Emmitt had 15 TDs in his first 20 games. 

Holmes had 8 TDs through his first 20 games.

Gurley had 13 TDs through his first 20 games.

Kamara has 20 TDs through his first 20 games.

Wondering where you got 20 from. And I just read the stats wrong on Google. 

Still though it's not that impressive when you when you are comparing him to everyone he came before him in nfl history. As to why hes the best in the nfl. 

To use 20 games to say the NFL has never seen anything like him before is like using Dak Prescotts rookie season to say the NFL has never seen anything like him before. 

5 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Wondering where you got 20 from. And I just read the stats wrong on Google. 

Still though it's not that impressive when you when you are comparing him to everyone he came before him in nfl history. As to why hes the best in the nfl. 

To use 20 games to say the NFL has never seen anything like him before is like using Dak Prescotts rookie season to say the NFL has never seen anything like him before. 

Simply saying that he was right and you were wrong. His TD numbers to open his career are staggering...as good as anyone to open their career in the history of the league. You said that they weren’t staggering...which was wrong...you misread his statement (the one you bolded).

i used 20 games because that’s how many games Kamara has played this far. 

Edited by sammymvpknight
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, VanS said:

I would say Kamara's stats are a bigger reason why I'm willing to accept him as the best RB in the league rather than what I thought about him before the draft. 

As Jay-Z once said: "Men lie, Women lie, Numbers don't."

The numbers say Alvin Kamara is CLEARLY the best RB in the league.  In particular stats that take into account PER TOUCH production.  Through the first 20 games of his career, Alvin Kamara is putting up production PER TOUCH that the NFL has not seen before.  His TD rate per touch is just staggering.  You can choose to dismiss the numbers but they are what they are.  Alvin Kamara's stats are what give him a strong case for being the best RB in the NFL.

He has only played one full season and the start of this one.  Nobody has seen the start Patrick Mahomes has had.  We've never seen a QB like this before.  This guy is easily the best QB in the league and soon he'll easily be the greatest of all-time!!!!

EDIT:  That was meant as sarcasm, but you probably actually agree with it lol

Saints running back Alvin Kamara has emerged from change of pace star to one of the most impactful offensive players in the NFL.  Over the last year, Kamara has a remarkable 1,015 receiving yards and 920 rushing yards, all while averaging 5.71 yards per carry.  Remove the game against the Falcons where Kamara was limited to 6 snaps due to an early injury, and he’s averaging 127.2 yards from scrimmage over the last calendar year.

The other top backs around Kamara include Le’Veon Bell, perhaps the best running back in football, and high first round picks such as Ezekiel ElliottTodd GurleyMelvin Gordon, and now Saquon Barkley.   That makes Kamara’s success even more unbelievable, since he was not a star in college.  In fact, Kamara had just 1,977 yards from scrimmage in 24 games with Tennessee, and only 683 receiving yards!  Kamara has 715 receiving yards in his last 10 games alone, and that includes the injury game against Atlanta.

Kamara has played 20 career games, and has now topped 1,000 rushing yards and 1,000 receiving yards.  Very few players have ever averaged 50 rushing yards/game, 50 receiving yards/game, and 5.0 yards per carry in a season, but Kamara has now done that for an impressive 20 game stretch.

Oh, and he’s scored 20 touchdowns in 20 games, too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Simply saying that he was right and you were wrong. His TD numbers to open his career are staggering...as good as anyone to open their career in the history of the league. You said that they weren’t staggering...which was wrong...you misread his statement (the one you bolded).

i used 20 games because that’s how many games Kamara has played this far. 

Using an arbitrary system to make your argument does not make you right. His first 20 games, well what about the next 20? What reasoning was used to just use the first 20 games? How about 20 of any amount of consecutive games? Here let me show how easy it is to turn an argument like that in your favor when there is no real logic behind that.

Marion from 2006 to the first 4 games of 2007. Which takes into account that 20 games stretch of different seasons, different teams, etc.

Barber 21 TD's on 212 carries which blows Kamara's PER TOUCH argument out of the water considering he only has 20 on 292 touches.

Kamara scored a TD on every 14-15 touches

Barber scored a TD on ever 10 touches

So following that logic of using a 20 game stretch, Marion Barber>>>Alvin Kamara.

We can do this with any number of players. Barber was absolutely fun to watch run the ball, but he was in no way "CLEARLY THE BEST RB IN THE NFL" those years no more then Kamara is these years.

Oh and to rub salt in the wounded pride with more opinionated skewed arbitrary numbers. Barber also had the greatest 2 yard run in NFL history against a Pats team that went 16-0 in the regular season. AGAIN I repeat 16-0, 2 yards against that kind of dominance.

Edited by Calvert28

9 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Using an arbitrary system to make your argument does not make you right. His first 20 games, well what about the next 20? What reasoning was used to just use the first 20 games? How about 20 of any amount of consecutive games? Here let me show how easy it is to turn an argument like that in your favor when there is no real logic behind that.

Marion from 2006 to the first 4 games of 2007. Which takes into account that 20 games stretch of different seasons, different teams, etc.

Barber 21 TD's on 212 carries which blows Kamara's PER TOUCH argument out of the water considering he only has 20 on 292 touches.

Kamara scored a TD on every 14-15 touches

Barber scored a TD on ever 10 touches

So following that logic of using a 20 game stretch, Marion Barber>>>Alvin Kamara.

We can do this with any number of players. Barber was absolutely fun to watch run the ball, but he was in no way "CLEARLY THE BEST RB IN THE NFL" those years no more then Kamara is these years.

Oh and to rub salt in the wounded pride with more opinionated skewed arbitrary numbers. Barber also had the greatest 2 yard run in NFL history against a Pats team that went 16-0 in the regular season. AGAIN I repeat 16-0, 2 yards against that kind of dominance.

How can we talk about educated opinions when you can’t even get your facts straight? You start acknowledging statistical fact, I start reading your posts. 

45 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

How can we talk about educated opinions when you can’t even get your facts straight? You start acknowledging statistical fact, I start reading your posts. 

I acknowledged those stats. I just showed that you guys are trying to twist them to suit your argument and use "key phrases" to make your case for "clearly the best RB in the NFL" by bringing up an example of how we can do the exact same thing. Talk about getting my facts straight, the way yall use facts is about as straight as the Queer Eye's cast members.

Edited by Calvert28
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I acknowledged those stats. I just showed that you guys are trying to twist them to suit your argument and use "key phrases" to make your case for "clearly the best RB in the NFL" by bringing up an example of how we can do the exact same thing. Talk about getting my facts straight, the way yall use facts is about as straight as the Queer Eye's cast members.

You’re lumping everyone together. One guy said that he was “clearly the best RB in the NFL”. It’s a statement that I don’t agree with.

There’s at least an argument...there are lots of good RBs in the NFL right now and I don’t believe the league has ever seen RBs as well rounded as they are right now. Gurley’s a stud...he is a very well rounded back. Is he better than Elliott or Bell? I’m not sure...those guys are also studs. Elliott’s probsbly the best pure runner in the game and he’s probably the best a pass protection out of the “elite” RBs...something that doesn’t show up on the stats sheet. Kamara is unbelievably dynamic. If I needed 6 yards to decide the game and I could choose any RB...it would be an unbelievably easy decision...Alvin Kamara. The guy gets 10 yards chunks without trying. He also is apparently a TD magnet. He belongs in the discussion because he’s damn special and brings something else to the table. Ultimately, most will say Gurley because he is a stud and there’s quite a bit of recency bias and unwillingness to go against the grain...but definitely, Bell, Elliott, and Kamara have an argument. I like DJ...but he’s a notch below for me. Who you would want on your squad would probably depend on your biases and preference on the type of player you’d be getting. 

• Like 1