Is Alvin Kamara the best Running Back in the NFL?

SBLIII

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

That just means he's a good teammate.   Once it's about $$, that perspective can change..quickly.  And let's face it, any place he signs, he's likely get the lure of being the alpha.   The curious part about his NO tenure is that Payton kept him from ever being the big dog - that year where he split time with Timmy Hightower, well, that was just nuts.  Hightower was out of the game 2 years later lol.   The lure to be with another good team (because good teams are more likely to spend on a difference maker) and $$, I suspect all of that team-love only goes so far.  It would be different if he had more paydays ahead of him, or he made an obscene amount of $, but with taxes/athlete spending, it's no lock at all.  It will be interesting to see what happens, but my $ is on him wearing another jersey next year, barring injury to either guy (injury being the one way he takes a big discount to stay).

He’s taken less money to stay with the Saints his last contract. I’m not sure he’ll leave. I certainly wouldn’t blame him for doing so. He’s unbelievably refreshing after reading stories of other league RBs not caring about the team concept. 

On 10/9/2018 at 1:03 PM, sammymvpknight said:

I’ve watched all of the Giants games. Barkley tries to do too much and doesn’t always take what’s given to him. The run blocking hasn’t been great, but his aggressiveness and/or questionable vision between the tackles has resulted in negative plays. His jump cut is as good as Peterson’s...it’s sick. 

Don't you think that ties into poor run blocking? Frustration blooms from lack of opportunity which leads to riskier runs in an attempt to make up significant ground. 

11 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Don't you think that ties into poor run blocking? Frustration blooms from lack of opportunity which leads to riskier runs in an attempt to make up significant ground. 

Yes...but more mature runners know when the can and cannot try to bounce it outside. Last night...Barkley was on and the run blocking looked pretty good. But he hasn’t always looked that good this season. 

17 minutes ago, El ramster said:

Hey man I have never seen a back of his specimen. He’s like a faster Ladanian out there. 

My god he should be in the X-men not in the NFL. 

I agree that he is a freakish athlete, and will be among the best for years to come at RB. I just find it funny that Barkley needs a 6 game sample size to be considered by some "the best RB in the NFL", but Kamara to be mentioned up there with the best this year, or last year when many stated he was top 5, the responses were along the lines of "we need to see him do it for at least a full year", "saints homers", "he is a system back", "he hasn't shown he can take 20 touches a game"...Despite similarly insane performances to ones we've seen from Barkley this year. 

3 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I agree that he is a freakish athlete, and will be among the best for years to come at RB. I just find it funny that Barkley needs a 6 game sample size to be considered by some "the best RB in the NFL", but Kamara to be mentioned up there with the best this year, or last year when many stated he was top 5, the responses were along the lines of "we need to see him do it for at least a full year", "saints homers", "he is a system back", "he hasn't shown he can take 20 touches a game"...Despite similarly insane performances to ones we've seen from Barkley this year. 

Would you take Saquon over Kamara be real here.. There is no need for a larger sample size when you're already that good.

He's only going to get better. And that's with a crappy QB and Oline. Mind you the first 3 games of Alvins that was y'all excuse. 

Now answer the Question. What I saw yesterday was equal to what I saw from Aaron Donalds first 5 games.. A spade is a spade fam. 

There is no one with his ability playing in the NFL. That was LT on roids like. 

1 minute ago, El ramster said:

Would you take Saquon over Kamara be real here.. There is no need for a larger sample size when you're already that good.

Yes I would still take Kamara over Saquon at this point. It is really a win/win scenario, but especially for the Saints, what Kamara does in the passing game puts him over the edge for me still (Barkley is no slouch either in the passing game). Both of them have no problem making defenders repeatedly look silly, and turning negative plays into positive plays on a consistent basis. 

He's only going to get better. And that's with a crappy QB and Oline. Mind you the first 3 games of Alvins that was y'all excuse. 

The first 3 games of Alvin's career he was behind an established pro bowl caliber RB in his prime in Mark Ingram, and a guy that was 1 year removed from being considered the best RB in football with Adrian Peterson. We traded away Peterson who is still a very productive RB, so we could get Kamara more involved in our offense. Not an apples to apples comparison at all. Barkley was drafted in the 1st round to contribute right away. Kamara had to work his way up the depth chart his rookie year, and once he did, he was part of a historic rookie season.

Now answer the Question. What I saw yesterday was equal to what I saw from Aaron Donalds first 5 games.. A spade is a spade fam. 

There is no one with his ability playing in the NFL. That was LT on roids like. 

I agree that it doesn't take long to see elite talent, this type of thing is what I saw from Kamara early in his career last year. So yes a spade is a spade. I would agree that Barkley probably has the most freakish blend of athleticism at RB.

3 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Yes I would still take Kamara over Saquon at this point. It is really a win/win scenario, but especially for the Saints, what Kamara does in the passing game puts him over the edge for me still (Barkley is no slouch either in the passing game). Both of them have no problem making defenders repeatedly look silly, and turning negative plays into positive plays on a consistent basis. 

The first 3 games of Alvin's career he was behind an established pro bowl caliber RB in his prime in Mark Ingram, and a guy that was 1 year removed from being considered the best RB in football with Adrian Peterson. We traded away Peterson who is still a very productive RB, so we could get Kamara more involved in our offense. Not an apples to apples comparison at all. Barkley was drafted in the 1st round to contribute right away. Kamara had to work his way up the depth chart his rookie year, and once he did, he was part of a historic rookie season.

I agree that it doesn't take long to see elite talent, this type of thing is what I saw from Kamara early in his career last year. So yes a spade is a spade. I would agree that Barkley probably has the most freakish blend of athleticism at RB.

Homer.. You'll probably take Brees over Wentz, Goff and Mahomes for the next 20 years lol. 

And first 3 games this season. Not last. 

Edited by El ramster

Just now, El ramster said:

Homer.. You'll probably take Brees over Wentz, Goff and Mahomes for the next 20 years lol. 

For this year I'd gladly take Brees over them. I know what he can still do in the regular season, and what his track record in the playoffs is like. Obviously going forward Mahomes, and Wentz are the guys to watch out for.

2 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Yes...but more mature runners know when the can and cannot try to bounce it outside. Last night...Barkley was on and the run blocking looked pretty good. But he hasn’t always looked that good this season. 

Okay, that is actually a fair point. As he adapts more to the NFL speed those instincts will develop. Still, even with that flaw he’s in the best RB conversation.

• Like 1