Is Alvin Kamara the best Running Back in the NFL?

SBLIII

12 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I think it is incredibly ignorant to use a Defensive Lineman as an example comparing with a young RB in regards to weight gain entering the league. I didn't say it wasn't possible that Gurley has gotten bigger since entering the league, but I have yet to see anywhere state that he has. I very well could be wrong, but the last verified weigh in had Kamara and Gurley about 5-10lbs apart, which given both of their weights puts them about as ideal as anyone could want from a RB anyway. For RB's bigger isn't really better after a certain point, which is why almost all of the RB's in the top 20 all time are between 200lbs to 225lbs. 

Last verified weigh in....nearly 4 years ago lol. You realize that for a large majority of players, they don’t usually post their weight fluctuations, right? Like, for instance, Vince Wilfork. Just because you either A) can’t find it, or B) the players don’t post it, doesn’t mean their weight doesn’t change. It’s quite frankly, stupid to assume so. 

And before you strawman me again - I know we don’t know by how much their weight differs. I agree with you there, we don’t know the exact numbers and likely won’t. Im only commenting on the stupid idea of comparing combine weights as if they had...any merit at all.

14 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I'm not doubting that Gurley is bigger, but by how much? Who knows?

Gurley looks 245 

Kamara looks like he’s at 215-220 

This is by being surrounded by sweaty men in the gym.. This is my estimate being a pro bro science bro 

3 minutes ago, El ramster said:

Gurley looks 245 

This is by being surrounded by sweaty men in the gym.. This is my estimate being a pro bro science bro 

Gurley is in the 225 to 235 range.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, El ramster said:

Gurley looks 245 

245 is stretching it a bit. Henry is 245 and taller. Gurley doesn't look as big. But 230-235 should be pretty accurate. Kamara looks like he is 215. Great size for being 5'10 though.

51 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Last verified weigh in....nearly 4 years ago lol. You realize that for a large majority of players, they don’t usually post their weight fluctuations, right? Like, for instance, Vince Wilfork. Just because you either A) can’t find it, or B) the players don’t post it, doesn’t mean their weight doesn’t change. It’s quite frankly, stupid to assume so. 

And before you strawman me again - I know we don’t know by how much their weight differs. I agree with you there, we don’t know the exact numbers and likely won’t. Im only commenting on the stupid idea of comparing combine weights as if they had...any merit at all.

It's also stupid to assume that it has vastly changed in the past couple years just by the "eye test", and because they are in S&C programs in the NFL. It is usually pretty easy to find if guys are getting bigger/smaller when anything significant changes, especially with big name players like Gurley.

For example, just a few off the top of my head, just about everyone knows Le'veon Bell trimmed down quite a bit after his 1st season as it was highly publicized. Tons of people know Clinton Portis bulked up when he arrived in Washington as it was highly publicized. Everyone knows Eddie Lacy "bulked" up in the NFL as it was highly publicized. Or how about Leonard Fournette this year losing weight...Also highly publicized. Or after a quick google search how about Todd Gurley dropping a bunch of weight 2 years ago (10-15lbs)...Highly publicized.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014-pittsburgh-steelers-training-camp-news-times-schedule-tickets-updates/2014/7/29/5947519/steelers-rb-leveon-bell-dropped-20-pounds-in-the-offseason

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/eddie-lacy-weight-seattle-seahawks-contract-nfl-free-agency/vucw9z2iy1zo1pgmr5tkhdz85

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/09/AR2005080901488.html?noredirect=on

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/10/nfl-minute-leonard-fournettes-weight-loss/

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/todd-gurley-lost-10-15-pounds-offseason/306932

So yeah I'll stick with my question "Is there anywhere that has verified Gurley has put on a substantial amount of weight since entering the league?"

Again your example of Wilfork is just asinine in this situation. RB's and Interior Lineman are far from apples to apples. So again thank you for interrupting with your own strawman, and adding nothing to the topic.

So this notion that you stated earlier: I think it’s incredibly ignorant to assume any NFL player at any position - sans maybe kicker or QB - doesn’t add substantial weight between the combine and their 2nd and 3rd NFL season. Forget just natural growth of someone coming out of college, but they get into real programs with better S&C. Hell, these guys are training to look good in workouts.

As noted above, this comment you made earlier truly is a garbage assumption with no backing.

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

245 is stretching it a bit. Henry is 245 and taller. Gurley doesn't look as big. But 230-235 should be pretty accurate. Kamara looks like he is 215. Great size for being 5'10 though.

Henry’s eyebrows have muscles 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

It's also stupid to assume that it has vastly changed in the past couple years just by the "eye test".

Strawman. Why am I not surprised. 

It is usually pretty easy to find if guys are getting bigger/smaller when anything significant changes, especially with big name players like Gurley.

For example, just a few off the top of my head, just about everyone knows Le'veon Bell trimmed down quite a bit after his 1st season as it was highly publicized. Tons of people know Clinton Portis bulked up when he arrived in Washington as it was highly publicized. Everyone knows Eddie Lacy "bulked" up in the NFL as it was highly publicized. Or how about Leonard Fournette this year losing weight...Also highly publicized. Or after a quick google search how about Todd Gurley dropping a bunch of weight 2 years ago (10-15lbs)...Highly publicized.

Oh, so because some guys’ weight habits are recorded, that means all are! 

So yeah I'll stick with my question "Is there anywhere that has verified Gurley has put on a substantial amount of weight since entering the league?"

Of course you will, same as you did with the Kamara debacle. You’ll ask a dumb, cherrypicked question that you think proves a point. 

Again your example of Wilfork is just asinine in this situation. RB's and Interior Lineman are far from apples to apples. So again thank you for interrupting with your own strawman, and adding nothing to the topic.

It’s not though, because I never said “running backs and weight change”. I said NFL players and the combine. Combine weights aren’t accurate for players multiple years into their careers. 

So this notion that you stated earlier: I think it’s incredibly ignorant to assume any NFL player at any position - sans maybe kicker or QB - doesn’t add substantial weight between the combine and their 2nd and 3rd NFL season. Forget just natural growth of someone coming out of college, but they get into real programs with better S&C. Hell, these guys are training to look good in workouts.

As noted above, this comment you made earlier truly is a garbage assumption with no backing.

It is an incorrect statement - plenty of players lose weight too, especially linemen.

If you want to use that logic, then the same floats for you. Any credible sources from this season saying Gurley’s the same weight? If not, your comment is baseless. See how dumb that is? 

Players change weights. We don’t know how much on a per player basis. Only one of us is stupid enough to assume they stay the same from when they’re 21 years old as when they’re NFL veterans.

EDIT: Last word is yours. I know the kind of headache you are when it comes to Kamara. Make it good.

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2018 at 3:58 PM, Yin-Yang said:

Strawman. Why am I not surprised. 

You adding nothing to the topic again, why am I not surprised. 

Oh, so because some guys’ weight habits are recorded, that means all are! 

Yeah crazy when the guy in question has it as well. Let just compare Vince Wilfork to everyone and pretend it adds any value to the conversation...Perfect!

Of course you will, same as you did with the Kamara debacle. You’ll ask a dumb, cherrypicked question that you think proves a point. 

The Kamara debacle, where we need to see him carry the ball 4,000,000 times before we can call him an elite RB. Or in other words you'll use a "dumb criteria that you think proves a point"

It’s not though, because I never said “running backs and weight change”. I said NFL players and the combine. Combine weights aren’t accurate for players multiple years into their careers. 

It is an incorrect statement - plenty of players lose weight too, especially linemen.

You stated: "I think it’s incredibly ignorant to assume any NFL player at any position - sans maybe kicker or QB - doesn’t add substantial weight between the combine and their 2nd and 3rd NFL season." 

This is what we call back tracking after digging a logical hole in your argument.

If you want to use that logic, then the same floats for you. Any credible sources from this season saying Gurley’s the same weight? If not, your comment is baseless. See how dumb that is? 

Players change weights. We don’t know how much on a per player basis. Only one of us is stupid enough to assume they stay the same from when they’re 21 years old as when they’re NFL veterans.

My question: "Is there anywhere that has verified Gurley has put on a substantial amount of weight since entering the league?"

Your response: "I think it’s incredibly ignorant to assume any NFL player at any position - sans maybe kicker or QB - doesn’t add substantial weight between the combine and their 2nd and 3rd NFL season."  

So I'm gonna have to throw a flag on this play...

Image result for strawman argument meme

Edited by tyler735