It isn't Gruden's fault. It is on Carr and Cooper

ragingraider

Gruden is getting heat. it is understandable. But, Gruden has had the team ready and in position to win every game. Carr is averaging 2 picks a game and for the most part the picks are totally on him. You can argue two of his six were on cooper who stopped running and also Cook who stopped his route, but the others were all Carr. The running game has been solid. The defense has played pretty well. Yes, we have zero pass rush but the defense has been pretty good overall.  Gruden isn't throwing the picks or dropping the balls. 

Let's talk personnel. Khalil Mack is sorely missed. Would we be better with him? of course we would. I don't know that trading him is all on Gruden. I think many people including Reggie wanted him to play out his contract and they were probably willing to give him a von miller type contract. What Mack got was astronomical. 24 mil a year 90 mil guaranteed? Those are crazy numbers. So far, Mack is making the Bears look brilliant with his play, but I think that is an awful lot to have tied up in one player. He is a difference maker for sure, but thats a lot. JJ Watt hasn't lived up to his deal due to injuries and that could easily happen with Mack. All your eggs in one basket problems. That said, the Raiders clearly weren't going to give Mack that deal so they got the richest trade value in history for a defensive player. Let's evaluate this trade in 3 years out and see what we think. Meanwhile, we may need all the extra picks to build a winner. and that may include needing a high pick to procure a new QB. Carr seems to have lost his mojo. He is throwing a ton of terrible picks and he really isn't making any plays when it counts. Cooper is unreliable. Bruce Irvin has been terrible. The stupid penalty that extended the drive in Denver and his undisciplined pass rushing has allowed for big plays as he darts inside to be completely neutralized. He is terrible at DE.  

Mckenzie has to take a large part of the blame for essentially doing a poor job in the draft. Rolondo Mclain, dj hayden, Karl Joseph, etc... it is really tough to find many picks he's made that have worked particularly when taking into account where guys were taken. If Karl Joseph was a third rounder, that would be different. Mack was his best pick. Mack is a beast. He is also making QB money and that just doesn't make sense to me. He isn't 30 percent better than Von Miller in my opinion. Yet, that is what he is making. The proof will be who ends up having a better record over the next three years, the Bears or the Raiders. We are both starting from similar positions in terms of how good we were before the trade. This last draft seems to be one of our best in recent memory. 2014 was pretty good. Kolton Miller looks like a good pick as well as Hurst. The jury is out on Hall and Key. We need a lot more on that side of the ball though.

Ultimately, are fortunes in the immediate future rest on Derek Carr. If he plays well, we are a playoff team. If he throws two picks a game we will be picking first and looking to start over with a new QB. It is so maddening. We are so close to being 2-1 or even 3-0. Carr just hasn't come through. Not only hasn't he come through, he has cost us in the clutch. Truthfully, we would be in the same boat if we had Mack. He might help us win a few more games, but we aren't getting to the promise land without better play from our QB. It sure would help him if his number 1 receiver would catch the damn ball.

Carr has been wildly inconsistent not even game to game but throw to throw and decision to decision. 

Some of us blamed this group before Fins game, I am now as well: interior line is vastly underperforming. No push. No excuse to be losing trench battles on short yardage situations. That was supposed to be the team's identity. It has been our downfall.

Plenty of other blame to go around as well, really too much to spell out. The fact we do not have 1 win, let alone 2, is unfortunate--but a loss this week and the team falls apart.

We could see full blown rebuild next year. It's unlikely but possible.

I actually didnt even address the main point--but I agree Gruden is not to blame. Game plan has put this team in a position to succeed. Poor execution (Carr's terrible INTs, failing on 4th and short, Keith Smith drop vs Denver) is the theme of the season thus far. That and the 37-0 scoreboard in the 4th quarter. All-around disastrous for a team that has won 8 of 12 quarters of football.

Edit: sorry 37-3. Forgot the garbage FG.

25 minutes ago, justwinbaby81 said:

I actually didnt even address the main point--but I agree Gruden is not to blame. Game plan has put this team in a position to succeed. Poor execution (Carr's terrible INTs, failing on 4th and short, Keith Smith drop vs Denver) is the theme of the season thus far. That and the 37-0 scoreboard in the 4th quarter. All-around disastrous for a team that has won 8 of 12 quarters of football.

I distribute it pretty evenly but I can’t help but think about if the drafting had been better Gruden wouldn’t even be here with complete control. 

my friends dumb, they send me that Gruden is the cause.....  Gruden might have screwed up trading Mack but I can see where he is coming from... It's a new coach, Gruden wanted guy who wanted to be here. Mack hasn't proven anything to him, and he can't start his tenure giving into Mack.... wish he didn't hold out and Mack was still here but Gruden thinking big picture and long term. He wants players who buy into his program.. all the stars aligned for Gruden to ship him out.... Gruden covered the draft for how many years, you know he loves his picks.... he wants to bring in his guys, and for them to earn it....just look at free agency, Gruden knows he had job security and is in for the long haul... no need to hate Gruden, well its going be a long 10 years for you... if anything if Reggie hit on his previous drafts, we would have more talent on this team... this team has holes, and we needed MVPs effort from Carr and Mack in 2016 to be good, and all those games were close.... if anything, Reggie should have locked up Mack last season if he wanted him here so bad... Gruden is new and Mack holding out left a bad first impression on him

Just read that we are 4th in yards, but low 20s in points. Can’t settle for field goals or turn the ball over in the red zone. That’s killing us more than anything. Left somewhere between 9-21 points off the board yesterday. Gotta execute when we get close. Gruden could probably have some better red zone plays, and I’m sure he will, but picks, drops, penalties, and other miscues down there need to stop.

Much of the problems I see as a combination of players, coaches, and scheme vs personnel.  We are transitioning so some players are making mental mistakes, thinking rather than playing, and are not good fits.  Also the coaches may be calling good plays based on the other team but not based on the strengths of their own players.  This team seems to transition every couple of years that puts some of our best players at a disadvantage because of scheme.  Granted I am happy that we finally have some real coaches this year but they need to figure out how to win with the players we have and not try to force feed their philosophy.  If we do not adapt this season will be very long but we should progress well over the next few years and we could be better than last year if everyone pulls their heads out of you know where.  I picture this team as one of the second half of the season teams that others do not want to play to get into the playoffs.  

On 9/24/2018 at 8:28 AM, justwinbaby81 said:

Right now, I think that's the main problem. If Keith Smith catches that ball and Cooper doesn't drop two 3rd-down passes, we're probably sitting at 2-1 right now and no one would be talking about Carr perhaps not being the answer. This team just isn't executing when it matters, and it might take 'til next season before guys get comfortable with it.

6 minutes ago, Gannon12 said:

SilverSurfer is that you? @ragingraider

The new thread after every game take QB name ______  and blame. Carson Palmer ruined the game!!!!!!!       Even though the defense is dog **** and he has to throw it 40+ times. Same story Blame on the wrong person.     Damn you Obama you gave me a DUI!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol just ridiculous 

Archived