Who's your new Packers Headcoach?

jleisher

What’s the thinking these days - hire a college coach with no NFL experience, or a current NFL assistant coach or coordinator with a promising future as a head coach?  I’d like to know if there’s a general consensus one way or the other.  I’ve seen both succeed and fail, but is one model better than the other?

2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

What’s the thinking these days - hire a college coach with no NFL experience, or a current NFL assistant coach or coordinator with a promising future as a head coach?  I’d like to know if there’s a general consensus one way or the other.  I’ve seen both succeed and fail, but is one model better than the other?

Gotta think Harbaugh and Shaw are the only 2 with a realistic shot at making the NFL jump successfully. You could argue that Saban deserves another shot (Pete Carroll failed in his first NFL HC stint), but the way he quit on the Phins and with how well he's got Bama rolling, gotta believe the NFL isn't too keen on him and vice versa.

All that said, if we are getting a new HC, give me the up and comer assistant. I still would be intrigued with John Harbaugh too, think he's a good coach who's gone stale at his current place (a la Andy Reid with the Eagles).

12 minutes ago, chillparsi1 said:

Gotta think Harbaugh and Shaw are the only 2 with a realistic shot at making the NFL jump successfully. You could argue that Saban deserves another shot (Pete Carroll failed in his first NFL HC stint), but the way he quit on the Phins and with how well he's got Bama rolling, gotta believe the NFL isn't too keen on him and vice versa.

All that said, if we are getting a new HC, give me the up and comer assistant. I still would be intrigued with John Harbaugh too, think he's a good coach who's gone stale at his current place (a la Andy Reid with the Eagles).

Interesting thoughts.  I hadn’t really given much thought to currently employed NFL head coaches, but I guess it’s possible.  Not a Saban fan, but I don’t think he’s interested in leaving college anyways (as you also surmised).

The more I think about the OP’s question, the more I realize how little I know about coach prospecting.  I’m thinking that MM stays through Rodgers tenure in GB.  Just can’t see Murphy and Gute moving on from him until Rodgers is gone, for better or worse.

Fire Mike McCarthy then hire Mike McCarthy. 

Thompson let him down with talent for the past two years, injuries plagued him the past two years, and he's still had success all things considered the past two years.  Give Gute time.  Even though Gute might waste this year, if he adds a pass rusher and another influx of Graham/Wilkerson/Williams additions to the offense next year, we'll be winning Super Bowls in no time. 

Very rarely do teams get an immediate improvement at head coach when they fire a head coach who won a Super Bowl.  The Giants have gone through two head coaches already since Coughlin was fired.  The Eagles went through like five head coaches before they finally got Pederson.  The Chargers have been to the playoffs like once since they fired tip-of-my-tongue coach.  The Raiders went from Del Rio and Mack to Gruden and no Mack.  I think Gruden will be fine once he sets that team to his liking and if they buy in, but with McCarthy we know we're going to be alright.  A new coach could turn us into a disaster. 

Archived