DE Hayes tears ACL, QB Carr remained unhurt

RuskieTitan

Miami Dolphins defensive end William Hayes tore the ACL in his right knee on Sunday in an unusual way.

It happened while Hayes completed a huge third-down sack on Oakland Raiders quarterback Derek Carr, coach Adam Gase said.

"He was trying to not put body weight on the quarterback," Gase said. "His foot got caught in the ground."

According to new NFL rule changes, a defender "is responsible for avoiding landing on the quarterback when taking him to the ground." Violating the rule results in a 15-yard roughing the passer penalty.

When asked whether he believes the rule change led to Hayes' torn ACL, Gase said, "I'm just telling you what happened. ... I'm just telling you what he did."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24782945/william-hayes-miami-dolphins-tears-acl-trying-avoid-sack-flag

In breaking news, QB Derek Carr survived a sack attempt by William Hayes in no small part by the effort Hayes demonstrated to avoid receiving a penalty by tearing his own ACL during the sack attempt. After hearing and seeing Clay Matthew's flagged for playing football, is this going to be one of the new trends in 2018, defenders tearing ACLs to have sacks stand? Discuss.

For 2018, perhaps. Alternatively, the sack numbers will drop significantly for most quarterbacks (guys like Roethlisberger and Newton who don't generally get the calls may not see this happen).

Going forward I think they have to rethink this rule, especially in light of happened to Hayes.

Just now, Malfatron said:

ugh....as a wisconsin team, i cant root for a michigan, chicago, or minnesota team.

i tried to be a Wild fan, and that lasted a week.

im thinking the Las Vegas Golden Knights

I would be amiss if I didn't point to the team that defeated the Golden Knights.

9 minutes ago, daineraider said:

Today I learned I'm blocked on twitter by whoever Dov Kleiman is? Which is weird because I never use Twitter and I have no idea who he is.

7 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

this rule is the lowest point of the nfl in my entire life of watching.

for me, mlb has now taken nfl as the number 1 sport.

possibly nhl will leapfrog both, depending if i can find a team i like

The NFL has tried to make some rule changes and backed off of them when this type of backlash happened.  This rule is just a joke and is the first time a rule has really lessened my enjoyment of the game.

Come be a Preds fan.

Just now, Ragnarok said:

The NFL has tried to make some rule changes and backed off of them when this type of backlash happened.  This rule is just a joke and is the first time a rule has really lessened my enjoyment of the game.

Come be a Preds fan.

i thought about that, because the milwaukee admirals is their farm system.

i have decided not to force anything and just watch a lot of hockey and see which teams i naturally like.

6 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Today I learned I'm blocked on twitter by whoever Dov Kleiman is? Which is weird because I never use Twitter and I have no idea who he is.

That’s pretty random, I just looked for a video of the sack and that’s what came up.  

I can’t tell where this so called move by Hayes to miss landing on Carr happens.  He hits his body and then lands on top of him (not saying it wasn’t a clean hit, although Hursts wasn’t any worse) so I’m not sure why they are trying to blame this on the new rule.

1 minute ago, daineraider said:

That’s pretty random, I just looked for a video of the sack and that’s what came up.  

I can’t tell where this so called move by Hayes to miss landing on Carr happens.  He hits his body and then lands on top of him (not saying it wasn’t a clean hit, although Hursts wasn’t any worse) so I’m not sure why they are trying to blame this on the new rule.

Yeah he lands on him then it looks like he tries to get up to start celebrating and overextends the knee. I don't see where he was trying to "avoid landing on him". It seems like a stupid example to just try and paint the rule as dumb when there's already examples of it where we don't need to exaggerate.

Just now, Thelonebillsfan said:

Yeah he lands on him then it looks like he tries to get up to start celebrating and overextends the knee. I don't see where he was trying to "avoid landing on him". It seems like a stupid example to just try and paint the rule as dumb when there's already examples of it where we don't need to exaggerate.

I agree, plenty of terrible calls on that new rule already, this one could have been called and wasn’t.  Hayes hurt himself and seems to need someone to blame it on.

Even in real-time it looked to me like he was sprawling out to distribute his body weight. I believe it was his right leg he kind of 'kicks out' to absorb part of his weight and it's just one of those freak things.

I'm not going to blame the injury on the rule, but I'm glad it's helping highlight how ridiculous this is getting.

Fellow DT Akeem Spence had some comments on the rule and I agree with him:

Archived